Things Exhibitors Should Know

Ceilidh

I would really like to enter a reply in this thread but I am too tired and it would comeout all wrong....so all I will say is be thankful that your show gets entries and not all caught up in the few errors you receive :(

Hmm, if you have gripes about show sec/cataloguers then start your own thread. And after numbering and entering over 700 dogs, believe me, there are more than a 'few' errors received. Maybe you should take a stint as show sec! and see how your fingers are with staple wounds and how your phone bill is after more than a 'few' calls to confirm what show, what day is supposed to be entered, what is the rego number, how many stamps you have to add, how many envelopes take a hell of a lot of juggling to fit numbers in, how much sticky tape you have gone through on crappy envelopes etc etc.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would really like to enter a reply in this thread but I am too tired and it would comeout all wrong....so all I will say is be thankful that your show gets entries and not all caught up in the few errors you receive :shhh:

Hmm, if you have gripes about show sec/cataloguers then start your own thread. And after numbering and entering over 700 dogs, believe me, there are more than a 'few' errors received. Maybe you should take a stint as show sec! and see how your fingers are with staple wounds and how your phone bill is after more than a 'few' calls to confirm what show, what day is supposed to be entered, what is the rego number, how many stamps you have to add, how many envelopes take a hell of a lot of juggling to fit numbers in, how much sticky tape you have gone through on crappy envelopes etc etc.

If the entry is incorrect or not complete can you not just return to sender!?

Having said that tho- there is not (well, I am yet to find) a guide on how to enter a dog show. So how are newbies supposed to learn and thus stop repeating the same mistakes???

Not every show newbie is a forum member or has close contact with their breeder or experienced showies.

With regard to staples- I've never done it but can understand why someone would think it a good idea...

It seems easy in theory to enter a dog show but especially coming from a non-exhibitor family and going in 'blind' it's actually quite daunting. And I still wonder if i'm doing it right because I have no real way to check what the 'rules' are.

IMO the ccs should put out an easy beginners guide to dog shows, starting from your first entry form to basic ringcraft and rules etc (including the one mentioned earlier about taking your number card to the steward if you are scratching in person).

DogsNSW have a guide. Maybe people should contact their relevant CC about doing the same. Surely if people are new to showing they have acquired their dog from a breeder who should be able to offer advise or where to get some advise? If I don't know something I ask.

ETA the link to the NSW info http://www.dogsnsw.org.au/how-to-exhibit-your-dog

Edited by Ceilidh

DogsNSW have a guide. Maybe people should contact their relevant CC about doing the same. Surely if people are new to showing they have acquired their dog from a breeder who should be able to offer advise or where to get some advise? If I don't know something I ask.

ETA the link to the NSW info http://www.dogsnsw.org.au/how-to-exhibit-your-dog

Not everyone purchases their dogs from a caring breeder, which I'm sure you know. I have lost count of the number of times I have helped out someone looking lost at a show or with a clear pet quality animal because the breeder (term used losely!!) has soldthe pup on main register and said see you later.

The links you posted make no mention of staples???

Good on you for asking when you don't know something but surely you know that the dog world can be very closed to new members or those with perhaps poor quality animals. I have hears even breeders badmouth their own puppy buyers for various reasons!!

I certainly don't believe the job of show seretary is an easy one, it's a job I certainly could not undertake but I think newbies get a lot of flack too. And if nobody tells them directly what they are doing wrong, they will turn into seasoned exhibitors doing the wrong thing still.

For show secs- can you please cash the cheque within a reasonable time frame and NOT the week before or in 3 cases, the week after the show??

I know you're busy working hard behind the scenes but constantly worrying that I don't have enough money in my cheque account drives me mad!!!

I second that one...

Remember to put the entries into the correct envelope and not post them back to your self. :rofl:

I laugh till I cry every time mum does that... she triple checks these days :laugh:

So do I. :p

I use a large envelope to post the entries and have the smaller ones just for my numbers, proud to say I've never posted them to myself using this method but did once when I ran out of the little envelopes :)

Save your entry forms for each dog on the computer - then you don't have to fill it in everytime and don't make mistakes :laugh: - all you have to change is the date / show / entry fee and print. Can't believe people still hand write entry's (I even print my sse's).

Save your entry forms for each dog on the computer - then you don't have to fill it in everytime and don't make mistakes :p - all you have to change is the date / show / entry fee and print. Can't believe people still hand write entry's (I even print my sse's).

I'm the same...I have my entry forms saved. I have one hound that I show and another that I trial in tracking. Both forms are saved on my PC. Then of course there is Ozentries for many shows...so for the extra few dollars I prefer to use that method as it is certainly worth not having to post things off. :laugh:

I wish Ozentries was used for more Victorian shows - when you think about the cost of stamps ($1.10 for each show), plus check fees ($2 per check for me), it works out around the same to use Ozentries!!! And for the convenience factor it was awesome :p :laugh:

Re: saved entry forms- I don't print mine for each show- I just scanned a blank form, opened it as a .jpeg in Photoshop & added the details for each dog... I then save each form as both a photoshop file (for editing purposes with new titles etc) and a .jpeg and then paste 2 entry forms per dog onto a Word document (making sure each form is the correct size :rofl: ) and then print out a bunch of copies. To make it even easier, I keep a proof copy for each dog and scan new forms from that which takes about a minute to do!!

All I then have to do is the class, show/fees & signature by hand.

One I struggle with is the initial entry being more than the subsequent entries and exactly what that applies to. When I enter a particular club's shows, if I have dogs in different names (ie co-owned or I enter my sisters dog along with my own) I have to pay the full cost for each entry in a different name - even if I send them all together with one cheque. Apparently the cheaper entries only apply to 2nd/3rd etc entries of dogs in that particular persons name. I've entered shows held by other clubs and they don't mind whos names the entries are in.

Doesn't make much difference but the few times I've forgotten, I've had to send cheques off for the $4 or $5 extra which is a pain. Its never written on the schedule how it works so I have to email show secretaries to find out

I would really like to enter a reply in this thread but I am too tired and it would comeout all wrong....so all I will say is be thankful that your show gets entries and not all caught up in the few errors you receive :cry:

I have no gripe at all with any Show Secretary's at all, they are great people and always very helpful. I suppose I am just over whinging in general and I feel that it is more constructive to offer a solution then a whinge. IE: If it is an ongoing offender then they must learn the hard way. Maybe if a first time show puppy buyer buys a puppy from you then maybe they should be given an example entry....just a few idea. Another is to get people to put their email address on the back of the entries to reduce unnessecary costs to the Show Secs, I know not everyone has an email address but most do and should you need to send stuff back and make phone calls to people then hold their numbers and charge them for the costs on the day. To them it would be minimal but I understand it would be a mounting costs when there are alot in the one show. Print this in the show add so people are aware. Any errors do not send the entries back just collect at the end.

That's what I wanted to type but I was too tired and could not get my words right....................And yes be thankful for the entries :mad I am involved in my club in a committee capacity and will assist my show sec to some extent so I will see first hand what you mean :o

Without you show Secs none of us would be able to get to a show.............but please be constructive and not destructive that's all. And thank you for wanting to do the job :thumbsup:

I would really like to enter a reply in this thread but I am too tired and it would comeout all wrong....so all I will say is be thankful that your show gets entries and not all caught up in the few errors you receive :laugh:

I think all the club's are very thankful that they're receiving entries but let's not kid ourselves that everyone is busy and make mistakes with their entries that make the secretaries life hell.

These volunteers usually bend over backwards to get everything right and ensure people are entered in the show - they are busy enough organising a show and it's little wonder that they get a bit miffed after having to chase up people as well.

I don't think there's any simple answer to the problem as most clubs are small and can't do bpay or credit card payments and EFT would be a nightmare because I'm sure people wouldn't put their reference numbers in correctly all the time and it would be good if there was a better solution than sending paper entries and cheques (mainly because I can't find my chequebook) but until then we should all try to do our best to get it right.

When you send an entry for a baby puppy with no rego number, PLEASE don't wait for the show sec or cataloguer to ring you, as soon as you get it ring yourself. You CANNOT show a baby puppy in NSW if you don't have the rego number, it isn't supposed to be put in the catalogue.

I was of the belief you couldn't enter baby puppies without a rego number, I realise if you send the entry off and then advise of the number then when the day comes it's all in order BUT isn't that really entering a dog that isn't registered? Entries close on a specific date, if you don't have the rego number by that date then I really don't feel the dog should be entered?

Oh I agree totally Aziah but Vic allow babies to be shown before the number is allocated. In NSW they are not even supposed to be in the catalogue, therefore, not to be shown but people still enter them and expect the cataloguer to ring and get the number off them. OK if it is just the one but there are usually around 10 or so that I have to ring for one show. I usually wear the cost of the calls but sheesh, come on people follow the rules or think about ringing the show sec with the number! Or they expect to just submit the number to the show sec on the day.

I can't only hope that one day we will do away with individual state CCs and have just one ANKC. With this day and age of computers we shouldn't even need state offices. Oh we can only dream!

Oh I agree totally Aziah but Vic allow babies to be shown before the number is allocated. In NSW they are not even supposed to be in the catalogue, therefore, not to be shown but people still enter them and expect the cataloguer to ring and get the number off them. OK if it is just the one but there are usually around 10 or so that I have to ring for one show. I usually wear the cost of the calls but sheesh, come on people follow the rules or think about ringing the show sec with the number! Or they expect to just submit the number to the show sec on the day.

I can't only hope that one day we will do away with individual state CCs and have just one ANKC. With this day and age of computers we shouldn't even need state offices. Oh we can only dream!

It would be nice if everyone did the right thing ie. don't enter your baby puppy in NSW if you don't have the number and show secretaries should be sending entries back that aren't completed. You shouldn't be calling them, just return their entry it's not hard for entrants to get it right or follow the rules...they just expect special treatment for whatever reason.

One day it will be easy and straight forward and all under the one body - we hope!

Edited by Aziah

Save your entry forms for each dog on the computer - then you don't have to fill it in everytime and don't make mistakes :rofl: - all you have to change is the date / show / entry fee and print. Can't believe people still hand write entry's (I even print my sse's).

Is it ok to type out your entry form? On the bottom of the entry form it says writing must be in ink, so I hand write them out. I am only new to showing so I didn't want to upset anyone by printing them.

Guest CaptainCourageous

Wondering if the first post might be like holding up a "Kick Me" sign?

I look forward to commenting on some of these things, but first of all I have to process a big bag of received show entries :rofl:

CC