Lab Eating Other Dog's Poo

My Lab who is now 17 1/2 mths old has recently started to eat other dog's FRESH poo in the dog park!! :cry:

I have not changed his eating patterns nor food so I don't know why this has happened... we usually go around 7.15 pm to the park as been fulltime at work, I can only get there around that time. We meet some other "regulars" who are also late like us due to work commitments!

The other owners' do poos and he doesn't pick up so my Labby has decided that "fresh" poo tastes quite good with the other owner commenting, "he must like what my dogs eat"... DISGUSTING!

I told my boy off but he seems to be attracted to it!

What can I do to make him stop as I pick up after him if he poos in the park but not other people which is how this probably started!

Will a muzzle help?... any advice appreciated!!

This is a very dangerous habit ! :( he can pick up all sorts of worms/disease!

maybe not let him off leash .. or make him wear a decent basket muzzle (like a greyhound muzzle) ( which you will then have to clean dog poop off as he tries to sniff/eat th estuff ) YUCK

You may also want to feed him a good mineral /enzyme supplement - I don't know of a name off hand, but I'm sure someone will help.

Edited by persephone

Thank God none of my labs have ever been poo eaters :rofl: Irrespective of whether your dog eats the poo, have you ever said anything to the other owners about picking up their dogs poo? I am sorry, but I couldn't just not say anything if I am in a dog park and a dog poos and the owners sees it poo and does nothing to pick it up :cry: . Its gives me the shits (excuse the pun :( ) with all the dog shit on the footpaths and walkways we encounter during our walks, but it makes me extremely mad when I encounter poo in a dog park and more so when Council provide poo pags and rubbish bins :) If an offender offers a "sorry I don't have a bag" and there are no poo bags offered by Council, I give them one of mine as I always carry a few with me :rofl: . Also point to any Council signs as most dog parks have signs about dogs being in effective control by their owners and picking up poo etc :eek:

I know your dog could eat poo he finds anywhere, but given that he is eating fresh poo in a dog park you witness the offending dog first hand with an irresponsible dog owner who just contributes to people being more anti dogs, and given these dog parks are provided by Council who have certain rules pertaining to dogs using these dog parks, then I urge you to not sit idly by and let these people/person get away with shirking their responsibilties night after night and thereby putting your dog at risk by eating this poo which should be picked up bythe owner :D

Thank God none of my labs have ever been poo eaters :rofl: Irrespective of whether your dog eats the poo, have you ever said anything to the other owners about picking up their dogs poo? I am sorry, but I couldn't just not say anything if I am in a dog park and a dog poos and the owners sees it poo and does nothing to pick it up :cry: . Its gives me the shits (excuse the pun :( ) with all the dog shit on the footpaths and walkways we encounter during our walks, but it makes me extremely mad when I encounter poo in a dog park and more so when Council provide poo pags and rubbish bins :) If an offender offers a "sorry I don't have a bag" and there are no poo bags offered by Council, I give them one of mine as I always carry a few with me :eek: . Also point to any Council signs as most dog parks have signs about dogs being in effective control by their owners and picking up poo etc :D

I know your dog could eat poo he finds anywhere, but given that he is eating fresh poo in a dog park you witness the offending dog first hand with an irresponsible dog owner who just contributes to people being more anti dogs, and given these dog parks are provided by Council who have certain rules pertaining to dogs using these dog parks, then I urge you to not sit idly by and let these people/person get away with shirking their responsibilties night after night and thereby putting your dog at risk by eating this poo which should be picked up bythe owner :rofl:

I agree Labsrule people must pick up after their dogs, we have a park with a lovely footpath around the edge across the road from us, its is not a dog park so people let their dogs offlead and dont pick up poop even though poo bags are provided! Makes me so mad. :rofl:

Maybe speak to your vet about this and ask for some suggestions?

I have asked them to pick up but they don't seem to care - they never used to come around that time but have done so recently as their dog (who is a VERY ENERGETIC 2 year old Samoyed) needs to 'release his energy' and my Lab (who is 34kgs) can take "been rough" etc with him as some dogs in that park don't if he comes earlier.

FYI - park is new to the area and we all know each other as we live around the park. IF I went in the afternoons in the weekends, there are more little dogs and it's my choice (due to work etc) that a few of us meet at that time ... the other 2 ladies are also a Lab owners so there are 3 Labbies who play very well together.

I will get him a muzzle and see if I can stop this behaviour ... he has BARF mixed with a bit of kibble in the morning (still trying to finish off his "puppy" kibble as I bought the large bag !!! ...and he also has carrot, apple & ONE dry biscuit when I get home... his dinner is 2 chicken necks as he gets more food in the morning.

Am I not feeding him enough ... Vet has said his ideal weight is 34kgs as he is a big boy and he has maintained that weight for some time as I am always cautious of what I feed him.

IF I give him Thrive D, it MIGHT stop him eating other dog's poo?.... I am still bewildered by why he has started this habit now??

Hi

I have just adopted an old girl and she is a chronic poo eater she eats hers and my other dogs was talking to someone the other day who said give her pineapple or even just pineapple juice apparently that helped her dog. I haven't been shopping yet to get any so can't tell you if it works or not but might be worth a try?

I have no idea why he would start to do this now, I know a couple of people who's dogs eat poop, not one of them seems to know what triggers it.

You need to give the pineapple to the dog who's poo is being eaten for it to work- if it does.

The idea behind Thrive D is he may not be digesting his food properly and it contains digestive enzymes so will help him get more from his food and maybe he will stop scavenging as he is not "missing" anything. That is what I have been told anyway.

Spoke to my Vet (Vet Asst actually), and she said to not let him go off-leash in the dog park OR to go to another dog park which defeats the purpose as I am sure he will still do it if he has "already had a taste for it" :mad .....if you know what I mean!

Then she said if I let him in, perhaps to follow him around and see if he does it again and to correct him ie take him away if he does...

Doesn't make sense to me - I guess what I shd do is let him in once more and see if he still does it and then if he does, no more dog parks for him. I will also speak to the owners and see if they will pick up after their dog - cannot do much if they don't want to.

Has anyone had dogs who have started and then stopped?? the Vet Asst actually said that "once they started, they will keep eating other dogs poo"... that is NOT good news!!

Maybe keep him onlead until he settles down, as soon as he is offlead and not eating poop click and give him a very yummy reward, that way if you have yummy treats he may leave the poop and come for treats instead? Just a thought...

My lab eats bird poop and roo poop!

Maybe use a spray bottle with water in it or something? You could use citronella as well as that is what is used in some barking collars. It will take away the yucky smell at least :mad

My friend had a dog that would eat her OWN poo. She grew out of it though, so maybe there is some hope...

Edited by aussielover

Lewis will occasionally eat Rommi's poo. He has been taught leave it and gets severly growled at for trying to wrap his knashers around poo. He still sniffs and his nose is right on it, but as soon as I see him doing that he gets growled at. Most times he can move on happily, every now and again he is very tempted. I also follow them with a pooper scooper when they are let out first thing.

Thanks for all the advice ;)

Didn't go last nite to the park b'cos of the rain but will see if he does it when I go tonite. IF those people are there, I will say something to them as I pick up after my dogs and they shd too. All the ladies who go in there pick up after our dogs even at that time and without much lights! These 2 fellas (partners of course) feel it's "yucky" to pick up their dogs poo. :laugh: