Why?

Little Monster

Hi All....

my little monster insists on eating cat food. i cant let him out of my sight as he makes a dash straight for their bowls.

doesnt matter if he has just had dinner he always tries to go for it...

he's a 10 week old amstaff named charlie....

any way of stopping him????

thanks

Edited by Little Monster

Hi All....

my little monster insists on eating cat food. i cant let him out of my sight as he makes a dash straight for their bowls.

thanks

Put the bowls out of his reach???

Hi All....

thanks

I know of some people who put their cat bowls on the bench out of reach so that the cats can still access them. Personally I dont allow my cats up onto benches or food areas though.

Why does he? Cos he's a pup- and the food smells good, and it is there where he can get it! :cheer:

Simple answer- do not leave food out for your cats- feed them once or twice a a day .. away from the pup, or place bowls high up ..or in a room fenced off iwth a baby gate or something.

I thought Dogs can't eat cat food because of cat food having too much salt it in or something...

The only cat I interact with (if you call it that) is my dad's black cat, Ninja. He is on a raw food diet, he turns his head up if he sees bikkies in his bowl instead of fish, chicken or something raw.

You don't want to give dogs too much cat food or vice versa as the ratios are wrong (protein and maybe salt?) but if they sneak a little bit or you use a tiny bit for training it is OK.

My cat regularly hooks into to the dog food if they are having dry, he has done for years and is healthy.

Thats ok so long as dog food is not the only thing the cat is having. Cats can't produce some essential amino acids that dogs (and people) can, so this needs to be provided in their food. If the cat just has some dog food on the side.. well thats fine