Kibble Question

HollyE

Sorry Holly, I don't have any specific evidence other than I just know how the digestion system of a mammal works. I'm sure if you google digestion, you'll get plenty of information as to how food is passed through the body. Digestion is a process - it doesn't happen in one place, but rather, from the moment it enters the mouth, through the stomach and then through the intestines. It's always moving and being digested along the way. As I said, easier to digest foods would just be broken down sooner in the journey than those that take longer. Remember too that food isn't completely digested - it's just broken down into smaller bits and once at the right 'texture' so to speak, the bits that can be absorbed are, until everything's been taken out of the meal and you're left with the waste product.

The stomach has three mechanical tasks. First, it stores the swallowed food and liquid. To do this, the muscle of the upper part of the stomach relaxes to accept large volumes of swallowed material. The second job is to mix up the food, liquid, and digestive juice produced by the stomach. The lower part of the stomach mixes these materials by its muscle action. The third task of the stomach is to empty its contents slowly into the small intestine.

Several factors affect emptying of the stomach, including the kind of food and the degree of muscle action of the emptying stomach and the small intestine. Carbohydrates, for example, spend the least amount of time in the stomach, while protein stays in the stomach longer, and fats the longest. As the food dissolves into the juices from the pancreas, liver, and intestine, the contents of the intestine are mixed and pushed forward to allow further digestion.

Finally, the digested nutrients are absorbed through the intestinal walls and transported throughout the body. The waste products of this process include undigested parts of the food, known as fiber, and older cells that have been shed from the mucosa. These materials are pushed into the colon, where they remain until the feces are expelled by a bowel movement.

This explains it better than me - once the food is ready to leave the stomach, it does. It doesn't wait around for the other components to be ready to go with it. So the kibble would be broken down and certain parts of it would exit the stomach first and then the mince, when it's ready. But the mince would not be waiting around any longer in the stomach than if you fed it on it's own.

I don't want to mix the meat with the kibble!.

I want another option! :thumbsup:

Thanks for clearing that up Huski!

They ate it when it had the maceral in it??

Mine have mostly raw i just have the kibble there for the morning :thumbsup: xxxx

Not to be rude but if you dont want to add mince or anything to their kibble and you dont want to change their kibble again, then what were you thinking of doing, genuine question?

Mine have mostly raw i just have the kibble there for the morning :thumbsup: xxxx

Not to be rude but if you dont want to add mince or anything to their kibble and you dont want to change their kibble again, then what were you thinking of doing, genuine question?

I might just add a little bit of maceral to their feed and give more raw

I might just add a little bit of maceral to their feed and give more raw

My dogs are fed twice a day and I mix dry & raw together with a spoon full of yoghurt or half a tin of sardines

we've never had any issues with digestion.

Edited by moko81

Mine will knock back her kibble if she is not hungry. When she is not hungry. it usually means she does not actually need more food. I'm usually prepared for it as I can see when she is getting a bit heavier than usual. Works every time. She has some sort of in-built weight control thing. I cut back for a while on her food, she gets a bit lighter, and then starts eating again.

ps...if she does not eat it straight away, I pick it up and keeep it for the next morning. Don't want to feed the ants.

Edited by noisymina

More often then not mine will eat all their dry in the morning but occasionally if mine don't eat their dry they get it again for dinner with a spoonful of their dog roll on top ...it always gets eaten then. Some dogs do regulate what they eat... if they aren't eating I simply put it down to that they are not hungry enough to eat it.

It's also said that soaking of kibble can prevent bloat...because it doesn't swell up as much in the tummy etc

It is not the swelling that is the issue according to the recent study out of Purdue University - it is soaking the food when there is citric acid (a common preservative) in the food which leads to the bloat.

Unless the dogs need the kibble- I'd tell them to suck it up and go without if they don't eat their breakfast. They will work it out eventually that if they want their breakfast, they must eat it without any 'extras'.

Our dogs are on a mainly kibble diet and unless they are ill, if they don't eat it, they go without.

They get extras (yoghurt, leftovers, tinned fish, cottage cheese, whole raw egg, 4 Legs, Natires Gift tinned etc) sometimes, as well as bones, chicken frames etc but they also eat plain kibble. I refuse to have fussy dogs in my house (illness or age is an exception).

Kuma was doing the same thing. He'd wolf down the kibble if it has any extras and turn his nose up if it was just plain. We got chatting to the vet nurse at puppy class and she said that he had us figured out and that we should stick to our game plan. She explained it like he was a fast food junkie and always wanted KFC and we had to get him to eat normal food.

He's not a huge eater (not that you'd know it - he's 40Kg!) and his breakfast can last him all day. We don't take it away from him yet - but will probably start come summer time when the ants are afoot.

He now has kibble twice a day with a tin of Sardines mixed in once a week - a Sunday Special.

I soak my guys kibble in water, only cos my bitch hoovers it down.. and yes i have tried the plates that are ment to stop them and it dont work.. and iv heard to many horror storys of dogs dieing cos of kibble being stuck!!.. It works for me and also work for my grandparents who show/breed they have been doing this for over 40 years...