Puppy Hyperactive

Kailam8188

Hi all, my name is Kailam and this will be my first post on your forums! Although have done plenty of reading.

I have just gotten a new German Shepherd puppy around about 2 weeks ago. At the current moment she is 8 weeks old. She is booked in for puppy pre-school for early next month. However I'm a tad worried. I've got 1 other dog who is around 3 years old now, but I missed his early stages of life as I was away. So having this GSD is new to me. I assume that she will grow out of going around picking up everything with her mouth and playing with it.

But will she grow out of dominating over my 3 year old dog and my older cat. My 3 year old dog is a very very calm Jack Russell X who never barks, growls, bites and would much rather a pat then a play. So the new pup keeps biting him and the cat and playing around, and jumping on them and their only exit is to jump up on the couch. But it won't be long for the pup to be able to jump up there after them. My dog never plays with her back or anything. But they do sleep together every night. Will she grow out of this and learn from my older dog that its nice to be a calm dog?

So far she is pretty much toilet trained, she can also sit and stay on command. So she's a smart dog and I know people say not to use the word NO but I do, and she knows what it means.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Hope it makes sense with what I'm asking. Maybe for advice?

You don't want to rely on your puppy growing out of anything. Am i correct in thinking you bought the puppy home at 6 weeks old? Where did you get the pup from?

Are you booked for pre school early July or early August- if its the latter i think thats too long to wait.

Hi all, my name is Kailam and this will be my first post on your forums! Although have done plenty of reading.

I have just gotten a new German Shepherd puppy around about 2 weeks ago. At the current moment she is 8 weeks old. She is booked in for puppy pre-school for early next month. However I'm a tad worried. I've got 1 other dog who is around 3 years old now, but I missed his early stages of life as I was away. So having this GSD is new to me. I assume that she will grow out of going around picking up everything with her mouth and playing with it.

But will she grow out of dominating over my 3 year old dog and my older cat. My 3 year old dog is a very very calm Jack Russell X who never barks, growls, bites and would much rather a pat then a play. So the new pup keeps biting him and the cat and playing around, and jumping on them and their only exit is to jump up on the couch. But it won't be long for the pup to be able to jump up there after them. My dog never plays with her back or anything. But they do sleep together every night. Will she grow out of this and learn from my older dog that its nice to be a calm dog?

So far she is pretty much toilet trained, she can also sit and stay on command. So she's a smart dog and I know people say not to use the word NO but I do, and she knows what it means.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Hope it makes sense with what I'm asking. Maybe for advice?

Wow I guess that some GSD people do things different as we would never let our pups go before 8 maybe 10wks of age.

The biting is a puppy thing if it ain't nipped in the butt fairly early could cause problems further on down the track. From past

experiences with our dogs we have had to teach the younger puppies to be calm nice etc for some it doesn't come naturally.

Given the pups age and the eventual size difference between the dogs, i would get some advice from a qualified trainer now. Is the trainer taking your puppy school qualified? If so, give them a call and discuss prior to pre school starting.

Hi- welcome. I really don't believe your 8 week old is 'dominating' the other animals ...

she is a BABY and babies PLAY. They need to run/jump/pounce/nip/roll...and warm fluffy things that move flick this switch 'ON'. The pup has no litter mates with which to play,,, so your other animals are all she has.

Because she was only 6 weeks old when you got her- she may well need some extra help. Puppies that age have not learnt all teh correct doggie 'manners' - their Mum will set them straight as to what is polite - as will their littermates. As your pup missed some of this- asking an experienced trainer might be the best approach right now- that way there will be less bad habits later on :rofl:

Provide her with lots of toys- things that roll and squeak, and can be shaken .. start training with her- get guidance from someone experienced in your breed .

provide your cat with a room that is 'safe' .. babygates or something, so cat can jump over, but pup cannot.

what is pup's routine during the day? do you do little training sessions with her? do you put a leash/collar on and practice walking around the yard?

Puppies are working out the 'pecking order' when they play from a very young age, ie. when their eyes are open - maybe even before when they vie for the best teat at the milkbar.

This is the basis for their future lives.

Sure their behaviours will change, personalities develop and maybe settle down as they get older but the pecking order remains.

New environments mean they have to work out the pecking order all over again.

It depends on whether the others are prepared to accept your pup as being head of the pecking order, which is what he will aspire to, if you have a peaceful existence.

Given the probable size difference it would be fair to assume that he will be the dominant dog.

Your challenge is to ensure that you are 'pack leader' - he can be second in charge - so you need to set the rules from Day 1.

If you don't like the behaviours then correct them, get some advice on methods from puppy preschool and/or a good dog trainer.

Teach the pup simple walking at heal, sitting, dropping, come etc. now.

Continue with obedience classes after puppy preschool so your pup develops good manners.

Hi Kailam,

In the meantime,it would be best if you do not allow your puppy to play with your cat.If they are to get on,its important that he does not see the cat as a toy and if your cat will not put him right NOW,thats what will happen.

Let them interact,but as soon as pup tries to play with the cat,put a stop to it and give him some thing else.i would keep them separated when you can't do do that.

• 2 weeks later...

if it's a dominant pup then it will be dominant...there might be a couple of scuffles to sort it out but probably the shepherd will win out and be content to rule peacefully and without warring and hurting the little ones

if the smaller one isnt prepared to give up supremacy there may be a bit of trouble for you ahead so youd best be armed

the worst time for any aggressive behaviour to come out...the stuff you really want to stop is around the 13 week mark..thats when you really need to be at the helm as leader...so if your shepherd starts thumbing its nose at you get a behaviourist quick smart...before bad habits start in for good

otherwise it could just be overexuberant puppy play and it is still up to you to stop it and let the little people get a break