Flying With Your Dog Interstate.

Tay.

I'm completely uneducated when it comes to dogs & planes, flying and all that. I found some info on the virgin airlines site, but I'm still a bit in the dark.

People who have flown their dogs (with or without you), what airline did you go through? What sort of crate do you use? Did you hire or use your own? I'm interested in any info ;)

I fly yearly & have used both airlines.

I own my own crates.

QANTAS you can use foldable or vary style or hire,they have weekend flight restrictions & dogs can only be lodged between certain times

VIRGIN only accept Vari style or non foldable(again hire) & have no weekend restrictions.

Virgin can be cheaper

I'm completely uneducated when it comes to dogs & planes, flying and all that. I found some info on the virgin airlines site, but I'm still a bit in the dark.

People who have flown their dogs (with or without you), what airline did you go through? What sort of crate do you use? Did you hire or use your own? I'm interested in any info ;)

Hi. I have flown dogs from Sydney to Qld on 3 separate occasions and once many years ago from Tokyo to Qld and each and every time I have used a pet transport company to organise the flight and crate. The domestic flights I booked through Dogtainers. I found them to be reasonable in price and you can hire the crate from them, they will do everything including door to door if that's what you require. The last one came only a couple of months ago and came on a Virgin flight but all booked and organised by Dogtainers.

I have my own clipper crate and have flown both Qantas and Virgin - I prefer the Virgin staff - no particular reason why though. Virgin have restrictions on the number of dogs per flight.

I am usually travelling with the dog - so I find a webjet fare and then ring Virgin bookings and book myself and the dog on - they match the webjet fare. If the flight leaves before 7am you need to drop the dog off 60 minutes before the flight. If the flight leaves after 7am then it is 90 minutes beforehand.

I usually put a snuggler snoozabed in the bottom of the crate and I do have a water container attached to the door which I put a small amount of water in. I leave a lead in the bottom of the crate but I also carry one in my hand luggage.

I try and watch the dog being loaded, but if I don't see it happening I always ask the cabin crew to check for me.

Its handy to know where to pick the dog up from as most people working at the terminals have no idea.

The dog always comes out bouncing at the other end of the flight.

People who have flown their dogs (with or without you), what airline did you go through? What sort of crate do you use? Did you hire or use your own? I'm interested in any info :eek:

I've flown my guys with Virgin - the guys at Adelaide airport are fantastic ;) I've hired a crate once (is pretty expensive though) but now have my own for both of them - a PP40 from Toll for Riv and a Vari crate for Zuma.

We have flown with virgin and qantas too. I also preferred the virgin staff.

We hired crates through dog tainers.

Most people prefer not to sedate their dogs, but our vet recommended we give our staffy x (RIP) a mild sedative prior to flying because of how worked up she became. Our lab was fine though.

Just keep in mind what the weather will be like when you are flying, because of the heat. They have to be there earlier than the flight and are in their crates.

If you have large dogs, you might want to check with Virgin, as I think they have a maximum height on the crate - from memory, Qantas can take taller crates.

Nope, little 16 kg Border Collie :eek:

Thanks all for your replies ;)

DSO,

Three airlines (Qantas/Virgin/Rex) offer a comparable service, (Jetstar and Tiger do not have the capabilities to fly live animals) sometimes the final decision of using a particular airline is made because of:

airlines not flying pets into that destination

the times of flights that are best suited to your needs

prices being offered by the airlines or pet transport company.

If your dog/s (pets) can be attached to a passenger ticket financial savings can be made. However, if your pet/s need to be transported as freight it is probably better to have a pet transport company organise this for you. Pet Transport companies are offered discounted rates by the airlines for their business, it then comes down to the PTC to offer the best rates to their clients. Shop around, you may be surprised that large or small PTCs can offer some competitive rates cheaper than you can buy dealing directly with the airlines.

As for crates I am not in favour of recycling crates/hire crates especially for the PP20/PP30/PP40 range especially for the transportation of puppies/small dogs, you don't know what has been in them beforehand and I am always conscious of cross contaminations because I do not believe that the crates can always be sterlised/disinfected to the best levels if crates are not removed from the airport for treatment.

Great topic, i am moving from Perth to Sydney and have been doing research with organising my leonberger and beaglex to fly over. I seemed to have found that it will be cheaper to fly them excess luggage with me and my partner. I will also probably hire crates for both of them.

Great topic, i am moving from Perth to Sydney and have been doing research with organising my leonberger and beaglex to fly over. I seemed to have found that it will be cheaper to fly them excess luggage with me and my partner. I will also probably hire crates for both of them.

I suggest to check with the airlines before booking. Reason being that weight and size restrictions do apply, Virgin Blue has a weight limit of 65kg including crate, an adult Leonburger maybe between 45-76 kg plus allowing 17kg thereabouts for a hire crate may put this dog over the weight limit.

As a guide for freight:

Airport to Airport

individually a dog of Leonburger size (with maximum weight including crate of 65 kg) should cost around $645.00 Perth to Sydney +crate

a dog of beagle size (with maximum weight including crate of 25 kg) should cost around $275.00 Perth to Sydney + crate

both as one consignment flying as freight: it should be around $880.00 + crates

As a guide for passenger travelling with a pet:

(based on Virgin)

individually a dog of Leonburger size (with maximum weight including crate of 65 kg) should cost around $240.00 Perth to Sydney + crate

a dog of beagle size (with maximum weight including crate of 25 kg) should cost around $100.00 Perth to Sydney +crate

Savings can be made by travelling with pets but there are limits of number of passenger animals on a flight plus total package price may alter based on additional personal baggage as well.