Elbie's First Obedience

koalathebear

This morning we attended Elbie's first obedience the class. Our class had a good variety of dogs and sizes. There was another kelpie border collie cross, a cavalier King Charles, a tiny Westie, a Siberian husky cross, a tall terrier, a short black terrier, a dog that looked like a tall dingo, a large brindle mastiff-looking dog and our neighbour...

This was my fluffy view for much of the class:

indy01.jpg

That's because my neighbour was a huge, rather gorgeous 10 month old Tibetan mastiff puppy named Indi who enjoyed slobbering on my knee or creeping over to encroach upon Elbie's mat ;)

Pretty amazing-looking dog, huh? Photo taken with the owner's permission :eek:

indy02.jpg

indy03.jpg

Indi looked even more huge next to Callum the Cav.

indy04.jpg

Despite her size and the fact that TMs are supposed to be guard dogs, Indi was incredibly placid and laid-back.

Strangely enough, although we had expected Elbie to be a disaster for his first class, he was actually very well behaved. I had worried that he'd tear all over the field or bark through the whole class.

We had been warned that it was very common for a puppy to be able to do the tricks at home but not be able to do them during class where there were many distractions.

We hadn't expected that Elbie would demonstrate such focus during the class even when other dogs were barking and there were clearly so many distractions around him. He obeyed all commands, walked very nicely on a loose leash and looked and behaved like the perfect little doggy.

elbie180.jpg

elbie181.jpg

elbie182.jpg

I swear - we have never seen him so well-behaved and calm.

The teacher even warned us that it was important with such a responsive and clever dog not to become complacent because such dogs can try to do the bare minimum and see what they can get away with.

If only she knew that we are far from complacent because our little wriggler can be a real monster at times. We liked our teacher - sounds like she's a border collie owner and breeder so really understands dogs like Elbie.

After the class, Elbie returned almost immediately to his usual hyperactive temperament, almost as if he knew that class was over and he didn't have to behave any more. One of the other instructors said that it's because he's a working dog and when he knows he's 'off the clock', he reverts to being a crazy puppy.

We took him to the small off-leash area so that he could play with the other dogs. He was quite shy and appeared more interested in greeting people then dogs.

Funnily enough, there was a very cute little shiba inu puppy running around the yard with the big dogs who didn't seem to realise that he was a small puppy another big dog. Hopefully in time, Elbie will become more confident and willing to play with other dogs. It doesn't really help that some of the big dogs (lab and GR I think :( seem to enjoy ganging up on him and pinning him down. He didn't seem terrified though, so we will try again next week.

All in all, they were very happy with his performance during his first class. Fingers crossed that the good work continues. It was pretty cold out there today but it was a lot of fun. Elbie's getting better in the car, but getting his harness on and settling him in the car is still very hard work,

Edited by koalathebear

Sounds a good morning! :eek: He's a smart boy ...

Heh - what was funny though was when she said to the class: "Look at this little kelpie cross- what do his ears mean?" (Elbie's ears were kind of forward, straight and floppy). The class guessed correctly that it meant that he was paying attention. She asked what it meant if his ears were back and flat and then were told it meant that he was anxious/angry/afraid. The weird thing is that Elbie's ears often go flat and back when he's happy/excited/very interested in something new ;) I guess he didn't get the Dog Ear Semaphore Memo ...

Isn't it the best feeling when they behave when you want them to. :eek:

Yup ... and I suppose our dogs like to keep us on our toes :D We came with a bag that was ridiculously over-prepared ... treats, stuffed toy, mat, poop bags ... the works :(

I believe Indi's owner is on DOL as well :D The little shiba puppy was soooo cute, such a confident little thing.

Ha! What a small world. I envy Indi's owner her puppy's temperament - sooooo calm and poised. And the shiba ... one day I'd like one - although I hear that they're very, very tough dogs.

Elbie had fun - he was pretty good around Indi even though India was a lot bigger, and he was also good when meeting the other dogs one on one - I am not sure if he is ever going to enjoy the off leash dog park thing ... We may have to arrange individual doggy dates for him or something.

Well done little Elbie ;) at a clever puppy.

Thanks - we were very relieved!

Yay, I'm glad it went well koala! I was thinking of going down on Sunday, especially to see Elbie! I set the alarm and everything but when it went I switched it off and went back to sleep :rainbowbridge: I'll try for next week, now I want to meet the gorgeous Indi too.

We went to our first Bronze class on Thursday night (I was in Sydney so missed the first week). Saxon was most unfocussed! I think it was the excitement of being back at training, new smells, new dogs in class etc etc. Plus I'd been a bit slack with practicing during the break. Hopefully he'll get serious this week :cheer:

All in all, they were very happy with his performance during his first class. Fingers crossed that the good work continues. It was pretty cold out there today but it was a lot of fun. Elbie's getting better in the car, but getting his harness on and settling him in the car is still very hard work,

:) Well done, keep up the good work Elbie! He'll have to teach my boy how to be well behaved in class!

Elbie is very cute :mad and so teeny :party:

Ha! Only by comparison to SOME people's dogs. He looks pretty large when he's in our house! :rofl: See you this Sunday - I'm going to have to wear an extra pair of socks this week, my toes were freeeeeeeezing. If I was very nice to Indi, do you suppose she'd sit on my toes and act as a footwarmer? :rofl:

Saxonpup

I was thinking of going down on Sunday, especially to see Elbie! I set the alarm and everything but when it went I switched it off and went back to sleep :) I'll try for next week,

Oh my goodness that's so sweet of you. We'll have to try to coach Elbie so that he behaves this Sunday and doesn't disgrace us! Just be warned, he gets very excited and jumpy around new people even though we do try to remind him of his manners :rofl:

now I want to meet the gorgeous Indi too.

Ah, you will fall in love. She is very beautiful and has the most gentle expression.

Saxon was most unfocussed! I think it was the excitement of being back at training, new smells, new dogs in class etc etc. Plus I'd been a bit slack with practicing during the break. Hopefully he'll get serious this week ;)

It can be kind of crazy with all the barking and noises ... It must be even stranger to be doing the obedience class at night. Are there big lights or do you all get night vision goggles? :eek:

clastic

Thanks, I hope he can stay focussed in class! I hope I get to meet you and your boy soon :D It's rather lovely how many DOL people are in Canberra :cry:

Heehee, koala, I'll be very happy to have a little Elbie jumping all over me! Even if we might get in trouble for playing during work time :laugh::laugh:

There are big lights at night, it's very well lit actually, but unfortunately no heaters!! Double socks for me too I think.

Clastic, I'll have to look more closely for you and Mars this week, I was looking around last week but must have missed you. I was too busy trying to make Saxon pay attention to me, instead of barking at the dogs in the field behind us!

We went to BDOC this morning for a visit to see what they do in class... Ended up enrolling Kuma for the session starting in August!

I saw Elbie (oohh cutie!) but didn't want to interrupt their session.

Will just have to remember to rug up, man my toes got sooooooo cold!

Oooh I might have seen you - were you with a guy kind of standing near the clubhouse looking out? You should have come over :(

I wore two pairs of socks today and two jackets and STILL got cold. It was foggy when we got there this morning - we get there early to try to settle Elbie. I'm so glad we're not at the Thursday night ones - it would be soooooooooooooooooooooo cold I would probably just keel over and die. Make sure you bring gloves as well - whoever is the handler needs to have fingerless gloves. My OH has freezing cold fingers this morning :)

The classes are really good. I'm so glad you've joined. I forgot to mention before that the reason probably no one replied before was that the office is only manned on Thursday evenings and Sunday mornings and it's entirely staffed by by volunteers.

Our instructor and her husband breed border collies and her dogs go to obedience trials and agility etc so she is very nice to Elbie. She even brought her husband over today especially to meet Elbie and to see his tricks. They said that he was a great dog - very smart and had great potential to do agility or obedience. Her husband kept saying he'd like to take Elbie home :rofl: Elbie's having problems travelling in the car and our instructor was so nice, she came with us after class to study Elbie's behaviour and let us know when the tantrum turned into anger. She was going to drive around with us in the car but in the end didn't have to because Elbie went mental just from being clipped into the back seat.

She watched him for a bit and she and her husband had told us that Elbie's behaviour was common in kelpie and border collie puppies but that we had to be firm. We're still going to get advice from a dog behaviourist about how to manage this behaviour but we feel quite relieved that Elbie's monster-like behaviour in the back seat isn't as weird as we thought. Our teacher said that Elbie wants to work so we're really going to have to try to channel his energy into obedience and agility as he gets older.

By that time Kuma comes, hopefully Elbie will be in bronze (if he doesn't get kicked out for hyperactivity) and Kuma and Elbie can play in the little off-lead section of the club :o

Edited by koalathebear

clastic

Thanks, I hope he can stay focussed in class! I hope I get to meet you and your boy soon :rolleyes: It's rather lovely how many DOL people are in Canberra :crossfingers:

Would be great to meet you and your boy :confused:

I closely resemble a marshmellow on Thursday nights, I think I will have to steal your idea of wearing 2 pairs of socks. My toes freeeeeze during the night classes!

Well done Elbie :crossfingers: Gotta love it when they are well behaved. One of my memorable puppy classes was when Bron was a pup, he slept the whole way through the class, all the other pups were running around doing thier thing and Bronson slept through the whole thing!

Nice that you have other DOLers in your class too. ILDD Indi is gorgeous!!

kumaakita: I'm sure he'll be great, too. I feel like I'm in dog heaven there - so many different dogs to pat and admire :) I haven't seen an akita but there's a little shiba inu and there are plenty of big fluffies :D

clastic

I closely resemble a marshmellow on Thursday nights, I think I will have to steal your idea of wearing 2 pairs of socks. My toes freeeeeze during the night classes!

Bwahaha! Make sure it's two pairs of thick socks because my toes were still cold. I need to wiggle them more, I think. My OH is Elbie's handler during classes so I suspect that I'm cold because I'm the lazy slug on the sidelines :D

tlc

That is so cute - and would have made a great photo seeing a slumbering puppy amidst mad puppy mayhem.

It IS very cool that there are other DOL people around at the same club. In addition to ILDD who is in our group, wuffles is in another class (in bronze) with the beautiful Ava. Clastic and Saxonpup are on the Thursday session so I haven't met them and their babies yet (alas) and soon kumaakita and her beautiful boy Kuma will make an appearance at the club on Sundays. I'm sure there are other DOLers there but I suspect that they are in more senior classes ... Also, I wonder if this makes me a terrible person but in terms of my 'classmates', I'm way better at remembering dog names that their owners :p

kumaakita: I'm sure he'll be great, too. I feel like I'm in dog heaven there - so many different dogs to pat and admire :D I haven't seen an akita but there's a little shiba inu and there are plenty of big fluffies :D

It IS very cool that there are other DOL people around at the same club. In addition to ILDD who is in our group, wuffles is in another class (in bronze) with the beautiful Ava. Clastic and Saxonpup are on the Thursday session so I haven't met them and their babies yet (alas) and soon kumaakita and her beautiful boy Kuma will make an appearance at the club on Sundays. I'm sure there are other DOLers there but I suspect that they are in more senior classes ... Also, I wonder if this makes me a terrible person but in terms of my 'classmates', I'm way better at remembering dog names that their owners :)

I think I met the Shiba Inu the other morning. We're in a new suburb so there's tradies everywhere and the other morning there was this little fluff ball guarding the back of a ute. Kuma just wanted to say Hi and this little guy was all set to do his "job"! The owner just laughed. The next morning he was fine, no barking and let us up to pat. Kuma was very gentle with him... I'm almost certain it's the same pup at BDOC.

I am waaaayy better at remembering dog names than their human owners - but then again, you're always hearing their names being repeated all the time "Good Boy, Kuma, Good Boy!!"