Kids And Dogs

W Sibs

My problem is not dogs rushing towards my pups to play... but KIDS!!!!

Especially towards Emmy (she is ridiculously cute!) and Emmy is still shy towards people and especially the little kind that yells and scream when they see her, then start running towards her, and then always reaching out to wanting to touch her... she totally freaks out when they do this to her.

I get told off or gets looks or get comments from parents when I tell the kids that they aren't allow to touch her or ignore them and walk away.

What kind of parents will let their kid run towards a strange dog like that? Regardless if it's a puppy or not. Seriously! Shouldn't they know better?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I used to get that all the time - kids running towards Z yelling "snow dog!"

My tactic used to be to tell the kids to stop and approach slowly because he was in training. Still anoyed the heck out of me though. He's a big dog, who knows what would happen if the kids did the same thing to a dog who wasn't zero. :love:

We were out walking our two yesterday when a family approached, after we had passed them one of their kids, a girl of around 7, tried to pay Mosley on the back, he spun around wondering what was going on and only then did her Mother say "Pat the doggy from the front"...ummm how about piss off and leave the doggy alone?

Mo is fine with kids but Lili wants to herd them so we stay away, they were both on lead and he was fine with her, but really, people, come on!! It's not like he's small, he's 45kg and if he was aggressive little girl may have lost a finger

We were out walking our two yesterday when a family approached, after we had passed them one of their kids, a girl of around 7, tried to pay Mosley on the back, he spun around wondering what was going on and only then did her Mother say "Pat the doggy from the front"...ummm how about piss off and leave the doggy alone?

Mo is fine with kids but Lili wants to herd them so we stay away, they were both on lead and he was fine with her, but really, people, come on!! It's not like he's small, he's 45kg and if he was aggressive little girl may have lost a finger

kids are unpredictable. They are kids. Not all parents are dog savvy. Do some training with kids interactions or stick up muzzle on if the dog is aggro. Smile at people and welcome interaction under your control. Dogs sense everything. If you are shitty and being a sour puss, this will be something the dog will adopt if not, already has.

My tactic used to be to tell the kids to stop and approach slowly because he was in training. Still anoyed the heck out of me though. He's a big dog, who knows what would happen if the kids did the same thing to a dog who wasn't zero. :)

That's use to happen when I had my huskies!! But, not too many because one of my husky was a big dog and once the kids saw how big he was, they backed off.

I will tell the kid to stop but Emmy is usually trying to run away at this time... I have to sort her out first before dealing with kids.

A lot kids do this with Charlie!

Charlie doesn't care, but I'm usually the one who snaps. Still over protective of that one.

The unfortunate fact is that people don't know better. Not everyone is a dog person. And it was different when we were kids wasn't it? People assume that a puppy is cute and fluffy and they want their kids to have the pleasure of patting it. They don't understand about fear and the long term impact of that on your dog. They don't read doggy body language and they don't think a cute fluffy puppy would ever bite.

I'm so thankful to Esky's breeder that she had a 5 year old kid.

Esky really LOVES kids, which makes my life so much easier.

Aren't Jap Spitz's meant to be timid of strangers by nature?

Poor Emmy, she's so cute, I don't blame people for wanting to pat her.

Too bad people are idiots

My tactic used to be to tell the kids to stop and approach slowly because he was in training. Still anoyed the heck out of me though. He's a big dog, who knows what would happen if the kids did the same thing to a dog who wasn't zero. :)

That's use to happen when I had my huskies!! But, not too many because one of my husky was a big dog and once the kids saw how big he was, they backed off.

I will tell the kid to stop but Emmy is usually trying to run away at this time... I have to sort her out first before dealing with kids.

Definately, sounds like you need a few more positive experiences yourself for your own confidence. Can you access kids in a controlled environment?

Definately, sounds like you need a few more positive experiences yourself for your own confidence. Can you access kids in a controlled environment?

My friends bring their kids around.. and Emmy is totally fine with them. But, only because she got to say hello to them first, and the kids know what to do and not to do. We went through the same thing when I got Charlie... but Charlie loves and adore kids. So even before I say 'let him come say hello to you first'.. he is already in their face and begging for a cuddle.

But, yeah, maybe it's my body language I have to look at. I get tense when I see kids when I walk with Emmy and not realising it. Because I see kids walking with Emmy, i just think 'Oh crap'... but when I see kids walking with Charlie.. it's all good. He goes over to say hello first.

I'm so thankful to Esky's breeder that she had a 5 year old kid.

Esky really LOVES kids, which makes my life so much easier.

Aren't Jap Spitz's meant to be timid of strangers by nature?

Poor Emmy, she's so cute, I don't blame people for wanting to pat her.

Too bad people are idiots

Emmy is good with kids she know.

She is definitely shy when it comes to new things.

I'm not a big fan of kids. I found out today from my neighbour that the indigenous kids living down the road play in driveway and garage while I'm out. :eek: Will shut my garage from now on, lucky I keep the axe in the house!

When my family walks our GSDs we have no issue with kids as parents would be too scared to let them pat the dogs! :)

My friends bring their kids around.. and Emmy is totally fine with them. But, only because she got to say hello to them first, and the kids know what to do and not to do. We went through the same thing when I got Charlie... but Charlie loves and adore kids. So even before I say 'let him come say hello to you first'.. he is already in their face and begging for a cuddle.

But, yeah, maybe it's my body language I have to look at. I get tense when I see kids when I walk with Emmy and not realising it. Because I see kids walking with Emmy, i just think 'Oh crap'... but when I see kids walking with Charlie.. it's all good. He goes over to say hello first.

Perhaps you could source some calm kids at a park with their parent around, ask parent if you could approach kids for a pat.

Confidently trot your dog up to the kids have a happy chat to start then encourage them to give the dog a confident solid pat, perhaps finish with a ball chuck?

Good luck :eek:

Perhaps you could source some calm kids at a park with their parent around, ask parent if you could approach kids for a pat.

Confidently trot your dog up to the kids have a happy chat to start then encourage them to give the dog a confident solid pat, perhaps finish with a ball chuck?

Good luck :)

that's a good idea.. going to give this a try.

I might bring Charlie for back up... if he goes to the kids and Emmy sees everything is ok, then she will be more likely to go over and say hello too. Plus, she doesn't like it when her big bro gets all the attention.

kids are unpredictable. They are kids. Not all parents are dog savvy. Do some training with kids interactions or stick up muzzle on if the dog is aggro. Smile at people and welcome interaction under your control. Dogs sense everything. If you are shitty and being a sour puss, this will be something the dog will adopt if not, already has.

Our dogs have been around kids and are not agro. I am just wary that Lili can sometimes want to herd them.

My worry is that ANY dog could snap if someone touches them unexpectedly. We did welcome the interaction, both kids and parent patted both dogs and all was fine, i am not a sourpuss, but it annoys me when people approach my dogs without asking.

Our dogs have been around kids and are not agro. I am just wary that Lili can sometimes want to herd them.

My worry is that ANY dog could snap if someone touches them unexpectedly. We did welcome the interaction, both kids and parent patted both dogs and all was fine, i am not a sourpuss, but it annoys me when people approach my dogs without asking.

Yep. This annoys me too.

Chewy gave me awesome advice on how to deal with building Emmy's confidence with kids though :)

But, kids running over and stuff is still going to annoy me.

I'm not a child person and I get seriously peeved when children run up and start messing with my dogs but I am always happy for kids or their parents who come over and politely ask to pat.

Recently at a show I had my older boy on the table and was cutting his nails.

Two children came barging over and pulled him out of the position he was in (I could have really hurt him) and started hugging and patting him. Their father was a few steps away just watching doing nothing.

I was furious, how lucky those children were that Misty is friendly. :)

Very rude!

What people don't seem to realise is dogs are not public property, just because they are out in pulic dosn't mean you can come charging up without any regard for peoples personal space and start messing with the dog!

Sorry little bit of a rant there :eek:

Are you walking them separately?

I guess it is fairly easy for me because I live in a quiet area, in that my street is the end of the road and so the people walking around and the children playing live in the area.

However, there is a playground at the top of my street and I approach it with all antennae up ready to take charge. I have been known to put my hand up like a policeman and yell, "Stop!" Too bad if I look and sound ridiculous. My first concern is my dogs and I won't have them crowded by noisily excited children.

Vi, just be firm. If you are approaching children watch for the first sign that they are going to run or come quickly towards you and YELL at them to stop and tell them they are frightening your dog. If you are having to address Emmy's fear and the children are already upon you, she is going to have ever worsening problems and the time may come when she is an adult and bigger that she snaps through fear.

Tell the children that if they want to pat her, they have to be quiet, gentle, not crowd around, they have to crouch down, not bend over her, etc etc.

You have to address your concerns and reactions too; you won't get tense if you feel you are in charge and can control the situation.

When I was little we were always told not to approach or touch dogs without asking the owner, maybe my parents were "Dog savvy" but to be honest I don't think it has anything to do with that. It's common sense not to apporach an animal you don't know. I know it isn't the kids fault, it's the parents that do my head in.

I'm not a child person and I get seriously peeved when children run up and start messing with my dogs but I am always happy for kids or their parents who come over and politely ask to pat.

Recently at a show I had my older boy on the table and was cutting his nails.

Two children came barging over and pulled him out of the position he was in (I could have really hurt him) and started hugging and patting him. Their father was a few steps away just watching doing nothing.

I was furious, how lucky those children were that Misty is friendly. :)

Very rude!

What people don't seem to realise is dogs are not public property, just because they are out in pulic dosn't mean you can come charging up without any regard for peoples personal space and start messing with the dog!

Sorry little bit of a rant there :eek:

My thoughts exactly