Next Question.

Steve

Simple:

An owner who chooses an appropriate breed for their lifestyle and then cares for the dog in a way that meets its needs for physical and mental well being for the period of its life.

How does a rescue puppy of unknown origin and breeds fit in with that definition? You won't know whether the dog it grows into will be appropriate for your lifestyle. Not having a go, I think it's a good definition, but as with, I suspect, all of these questions, there are always grey areas.

Not easily is the answer. If you have very definite lifestyle requirements of a dog, then a rescue pup of unknown origin is not what I'd call a safe bet. An adult rescue is a better one.

Hmm, so maybe not just choosing the appropriate breed, but seeking to choose the appropriate dog, with the understanding that there are no guarantees, and the commitment to finding a way to meet the dogs needs for its life, either yourself, or if you are unable, then in another appropriate home.

The trouble is, how do you legislate any of this? As everyone has said, it's very subjective.

Edited by Saxonpup

Simple:

An owner who chooses an appropriate breed for their lifestyle and then cares for the dog in a way that meets its needs for physical and mental well being for the period of its life.

How does a rescue puppy of unknown origin and breeds fit in with that definition? You won't know whether the dog it grows into will be appropriate for your lifestyle. Not having a go, I think it's a good definition, but as with, I suspect, all of these questions, there are always grey areas.

I personally would not rescue a puppy for that exact reason, but I like pedigree dogs so that's just me.

To answer your question - if you are going to rescue a puppy of unknown breeding then you need to be VERY sure that you can cope with ANYTHING. I don't think there is any grey about that one. Unless you know you can cope wit the demands of the dog, don't get it.

I know this is harsh, but I just hate seeing dogs in poor situations.

I don't think it's harsh actually, I agree with you personally. And if you do get the dog (or whatever animal), then commit to doing everything you can to take care of it, for its whole life.

Unfortunately the wider population probably doesn't share this view :o

My definition of a responsible dog owner is someone who makes the best choices and decisions for the dog - ideally they will choose a breed and pup/adult suited to them but if something happens or they aquire a dog by default (find a stray etc), they do as much as they can to provide what the dog needs (in terms of diet, stimulation, exercise etc) and if they cannot meet these needs, they rehome the animal to a suitable environment.

Lets try it this way.

Would you ad anything to this code of conduct for responsible pet ownership?

I will always provide my dog with adequate, food, shelter, fresh water and exercise.

I will equip my dog for life by providing it with good socialization, training and manners.

I will ensure my dog receives adequate veterinary attention.

I will take full responsibility for all of my dog's actions.

I will not allow my dog to roam freely except in designated off leash areas.

I will provide adequate fencing and containment systems to suit the breed of dog I own.

I will not allow my dog to cause a problem to or lessen the quality of life for any person in the community by barking, destroying property, threatening or mauling humans or other animals.

I will take responsibility for any mess or excrement caused by my dog in both private and public places.

I will lead by example and advocate responsible dog ownership within the community.

Lets try it this way.

I will always provide my dog with adequate, food, shelter, fresh water and exercise.

I will equip my dog for life by providing it with good socialization, training and manners.

I will provide adequate fencing and containment systems to suit the breed of dog I own.

I will not allow my dog to cause a problem to or lessen the quality of life for any person in the community by barking, destroying property, threatening or mauling humans or other animals.

I will take responsibility for any mess or excrement caused by my dog in both private and public places.

I will lead by example and advocate responsible dog ownership within the community.

I would add : if at any time during the dog's lifetime, if I can no longer provide adequate care or the dog would be better off in a different environment, I will do everything I can to ensure the dog is placed in such a home where it's needs are met and it is happy.

Not trying to nitpick Steve, but could we put that even when the dog is roaming freely, it will be under effective control? I've met several dogs roaming freely at offleash parks with absolutely no recall, or with the owner nowhere to be seen, I didn't think it was responsible.

I'd also like a bit about breeding in there too, since I know many pet owner people don't see why they shouldn't breed their pet, and would still honestly think they were "responsible" if they bred their animal just once because it has such a nice nature, etc. I just think it should be mentioned that a responsible pet owner only ever breeds their pet after careful research & consideration of all the issues.

Lets try it this way.

I would add:

I will desex my dog unless it its part of a registered breeding program.

Oops - and another.

I will only source my dog from responsible, ethical breeders and rescues.

Edited by poodlefan

Lets try it this way.

I will equip my dog for life by providing it with good socialization, training and manners. Where this is not possible (past abuse, weak nerves) I will put into place a management plan that suits the dog and doesn't endanger the community.I will ensure my dog receives adequate veterinary attention.

I would add : if at any time during the dog's lifetime, if I can no longer provide adequate care or the dog would be better off in a different environment, I will do everything I can to ensure the dog is placed in such a home where it's needs are met and it is happy.

Lets try it this way.

I would add:

Isn't this akin to mandatory desexing though? After all I have learnt through this forum and my own research, I will not be desexing any of my future dogs in a hurry, regardless of it's background.

Perhaps something more along the lines of "I will not allow my dog to produce puppies unless part of a registered breeding program" - as staranais suggested.

Lets try it this way.

I would add:

Oops - and another.

I will only source my dog from responsible, ethical breeders and rescues.

Actually I don't know how but that code is on our website and it shouldn't be.That was the original and has been replaced with the one below but for what ever reason the old one is showing on our website. Lucky I bought it here or I wouldn't have picked the error up. Bugger.

1. I will always provide my dog with adequate, food, shelter, fresh water and exercise.

2. I will equip my dog for life by providing it with good socialization, training and manners

3. I will ensure my dog receives adequate veterinary attention

4. I will take full responsibility for all of my dog’s actions

5. I will not allow my dog to roam freely except in designated off leash areas And then only in a responsible manner.

6. I will provide adequate fencing and containment systems to suit the breed of dog I own

7. I will not allow my dog to cause a problem to or lessen the quality of life for any person in the community by barking, destroying property, threatening or mauling humans or other animals.

8. I will take responsibility for any mess or excrement caused by my dog in both private and public places

9. I will lead by example and advocate responsible dog ownership within the community

10. I will refrain from any action, which will place the MDBA in disrepute.

11. I will not breed my dog without first upgrading my membership to the MDBA breeders code of conduct and complying with all of the requirements which are expected of an MDBA breeder member.

Isn't this akin to mandatory desexing though? After all I have learnt through this forum and my own research, I will not be desexing any of my future dogs in a hurry, regardless of it's background.

Perhaps something more along the lines of "I will not allow my dog to produce puppies unless part of a registered breeding program" - as staranais suggested.

I didn't say when the dog would be desexed but am happy with Staranais' wording too. :o

I will repost my original....

A responsible owner provides for the dogs' physical and emotional needs to the best of their ability . A responsible owner also takes care their dog does not act in a manner which may cause problems to another person or animal. A responsible pet owner will take steps to prevent breeding of their dog/s .

Simple:

agree

but i also think you need to respect other people's rights

it's not all about being a dog lover and being good to your hound

there are so many people who dont like animals and i dont get them but they do have to be respected and their rights protected as well

1. I will always provide my dog with adequate, food, shelter, fresh water and exercise.

2. I will equip my dog for life by providing it with good socialization, training and manners

5. I will not allow my dog to roam freely except in designated off leash areas And then only in a responsible manner.

6. I will provide adequate fencing and containment systems to suit the breed of dog I own

7. I will not allow my dog to cause a problem to or lessen the quality of life for any person in the community by barking, destroying property, threatening or mauling humans or other animals.

8. I will take responsibility for any mess or excrement caused by my dog in both private and public places

9. I will lead by example and advocate responsible dog ownership within the community

11. I will not breed my dog without first upgrading my membership to the MDBA breeders code of conduct and complying with all of the requirements which are expected of an MDBA breeder member.

number 5 - I would stipulate you mean "in public places"

number 7 - I would prefer the wording to concerntrate on the legal definitions of a nuisance/problem. Too many threads about crazy neighbours ect. to attempt not to bother ANYONE :party:

number 11 - how does that apply to people who have made an agreement with their registered breeder about their mains registered dog, are they considered to be breeding the dog if the only part they have in the process is that they own the dog and their name will appear on some paperwork? How does it apply to a co-owned bitch who is going back to her breeder for a litter or two but is primarily in the care of another owner?

Simple:

An owner who chooses an appropriate breed for their lifestyle and then cares for the dog in a way that meets and thrives to exceed its needs and wants for physical and mental well being for the period of its life, whilst enjoying and returning the good company and love it offers.

A responbile person also provides veterinary care, security and stimation for the animal, whilst also ensuring neighbours are not bothered by noise, smell etc and that the animals are registered with councils, not a threat to any one of the public, and generally keeps their pet happy.

Couldn't think of my own words to better describe what you wrote yourself; but thought I would offer something more to it, for what I feel is a responsible pet owner. :party:

Edited by Bonnie Parker

I'd add, a responsible owner also ensures their dog is not a nuisance to the community - e.g. by picking up its poo, not letting their it roam, and not breeding irresponsibly.

Totally agree - not only do responsible owners provide the mental and physical needs for their dog(s), but also ensuring that they are properly contained and do not cause problems with other members of the community.

number 5 - I would stipulate you mean "in public places"

number 7 - I would prefer the wording to concerntrate on the legal definitions of a nuisance/problem. Too many threads about crazy neighbours ect. to attempt not to bother ANYONE :laugh:

number 11 - how does that apply to people who have made an agreement with their registered breeder about their mains registered dog, are they considered to be breeding the dog if the only part they have in the process is that they own the dog and their name will appear on some paperwork? How does it apply to a co-owned bitch who is going back to her breeder for a litter or two but is primarily in the care of another owner?

I don't consider the owner to be the breeder in either of those two examples.