Anxiety

I have come to the conclusion that my ridgy suffers from anxiety.

She displays the same behaviour at shows, obedience classes and on social doggy outings(we have RR fundays a couple of times a year), even when out walking with a friend and her two dogs. She pants, refuses food, her ears sit right back on her head, she sort of vagues out and ignores other dogs and humans alike, and is really hard on the leash, and she generally looks like she'd just rather be somewhere else!! Like home on her bed.

I gave up showing her as she had to be almost dragged around the ring, wouldnt stack nicely at all and I couldnt bear to see her so stressed!

I am taking her to see the vet in the next week or so to see if there is something medically wrong with her, like hearing or something :laugh: and to find out if there is some kind of vitamins or herbs that can help her out.

I came across this stuff online Calmdown, not sure if its importable to Australia. I was wondering if anyone has used it or something similar available in Australia.

Has anyone dealt with an anxious dog and what sort of "therapy" is useful??

I would love to start obedience again or even agility, but while she is like she is I just cant!

Thanks, Rat

When he got really bad- I used to take my old boy to a kinesiologist/chiropractor (MINE) :laugh: we snuck him in after hours....

There were points on his neck/chest/shoulders which were worked on.. and for the next few days , everyone remarked at how laid back my dog was..and asked what had happened to him :laugh: he was Sooo cool ....

Oh- and you could try THIS, perhaps ?

Edited by persephone

You'll need to see a Behaviourist to help you get to the root of your dogs Anxiety problems.

Whilst you wait for your behavioural session you may like to try some of these products, however they are complimentary and shouldn't be used as a band-aid cure.

TROY BEHAVE is a TRYPTOPHAN supplement with added B Vitamins, Vitamin C and minerals (Potassium and Magnesium). The specially formulated carrier for this paste makes it highly palatable and readily absorbed in the

digestive system.

Many veterinarians recommend the use of Vitamin B1 (thiamine) at 50-100 times the daily recommended requirement as a daily supplement to assist with over coming this nervy behaviour. Unfortunately this does not always work, so many recommend the addition of magnesium and trypotophan as well to improve the response.

http://www.vetnpetdirect.com.au/BEHAVE

DAP

As pheromones are species specific, D.A.P. is not harmful to humans or other animals. D.A.P. is natural, safe and simple to use. The use of pheromones in treating both dogs and cats has been found to be an effective way of helping them to overcome fear and stress including separation related problems or the fear of loud noises, places or things.

The dog appeasing pheromone in D.A.P. is a synthetic replica of the natural appeasing pheromone released by the lactating female, which enables puppies to identify the nest and their mother. These pheromones have been found to provide dogs with a message of well-being and calming that helps them to adjust to stressful, new and unpredictable situations.

http://www.vetnpetdirect.com.au/DAPC

Calming Herbs

Natural Animal Solutions Calm is a blend of nervine and calming herbs that assist with general wellbeing.

For the safety of animals, all ingredients are sourced from human naturopathic manufacturers and blended by an animal naturopath.

http://www.vetnpetdirect.com.au/NASCALM?sc=9&category=84

Value Plus Calming Paste

Each 30mL contains:

L-tryptophan 3,000 mg

Thiamine 600 mg

Riboflavin 500 mg

Niacin 500 mg

Pyridoxine 300 mg

Extract of matricaria recutita (chamomile) 4,500 mg.

http://www.vetnpetdirect.com.au/VALUCALM?s...amp;category=84

Canine Tranquil Formula

Helps Maintain Emotional Balance in Dogs

Many dogs become fearful and anxious during thunderstorms, car trips, visits to the vet, seeing visitors and being separated from their owners and loved ones. Every dog has an individual person­ality and therefore deals with stressful events differently.

FEATURES AND BENEFITS

Contains natural ingredients plus Tryptophan and B group vitamins

Manufactured under HACCP standards in Australia

Delicious tasting tablet for dogs

http://www.petsonthepark.com.au/prod421.htm

Pet Ark Calm

A natural nutritional formula for dogs and cats. It can be fed every day. Up to 60 days supply. Contains natural liver flavoring, mineral tissue salts, microsalts, vitamins, amino acids, herbs - passionflower, hops, chamomile.

http

://www.greenpet.com.au/pet-shop/cart.p...category_id=74

Aromocalm Spray

This all natural aromatherapy spray contains herbs and Bach flower essences for use with dogs and horses. The spray may be sprayed into air around horse or dogs bedding, stable, cage or kennel. Can also be sprayed directly onto animals back, avoiding head and eyes. This is not suitable for use on cats due to the essential oils. Contains Spring water, veg glycerine, alcohol, macadamia oil, grapefruit seed extract, essential oils of petitgrain, lavender, marjoram, vetiver and orange with Bach flower essences.

http://greenpet.com.au/pet-shop/cart.php?t...1&substring=

And then there's your Rescue Remedy you can get from most Chemists :laugh:

I personaly like and use Valerian for dogs who need the edge taken off.

Edited by sas

Thanks for the replies guys!

Pers - I had forgotten about Roberts stuff, sounds like it could be good!!

Megan - I totally agree, I would much rather work on her behaviour than put her on drugs! But I also think herbal remedies like the one Pers recommended or the one in my link can be helpful. I will be taking her for a vet visit before I start anything though, just to rule out anything physically wrong with her!

Rat

You could speak to your vet about Clomicalm if it's really bad. Sometimes you can use this short term just to break the cycle of fear.

Or if you are after something herbal maybe try rescue remedy.

I agree with the previous post though about seeing a behaviourist first, you may be able to overcome this without medication.

I am about to start DAP with mine.. I've heard varying reports on its success...mine is fine at home in his own environment... anywhere else and he's a ball of nerves. If I see no response I'll probably consider a herbal remedy.. DAP seems preferable to me as it doesn't need to be ingested.

Rat I had one very anxious ridgy, she was scared of new people, new places etc, sadly it was way back when and we did not have the info thats available to us now. I used rescue remedy on her and some herbal stuff from a homeopath and it did help for when we were at home if strangers had to come over etc.

I am about to start DAP with mine.. I've heard varying reports on its success...mine is fine at home in his own environment... anywhere else and he's a ball of nerves. If I see no response I'll probably consider a herbal remedy.. DAP seems preferable to me as it doesn't need to be ingested.

I was looking at the DAP too, Id love to know how it goes.....

WOW - Thanks Sas, you mustve been posting the same time as me and I didnt see it - Ive been out all day!!

You have given me quite a number of products to look at, but I definitely want to get to the root of the cause her anxiety!

I think I would much rather try a herbal or vitamin based product and stay away from anything too pharmaceutical if possible, but will see what the vet thinks!

Sorry for the rest of you with anxious doggies too! Its not nice for them to suffer in such a way!

Karly, my girl is the same, fine at home though a bit off with visitors she doesnt know, but a completely different dog away from home!!

Rat