Anal Glands- Samoyed

I have a 10 month samoyed who suffers from anal gland problems. We frequently have to take her to the vet to have them emptied. We have increased her fibre and give her lots of raw bones and pumpkin which has helped a little.

Vet has suggested to have her anal glands removed but we are concerned about the complications that may arise. Does any other samoyed owner have problems with their dogs anal glands?????????

Yeah I dunno mate - I think I'd be reluctant to do it to my dogs. I'd be inclined to do a lot of research and check it all out before making a decision. Especially one so young!!! Maybe give it more time with the dietery supplements/change and see if makes a difference. How long since you've put her on the supps and what else is she eating??

WHen Pepper has a problem I just express it myself and that's that really. You don't want to do it too often tho as that can make it even more difficult for them to express the glands naturally. I also read in my research on it that they need the glands to help them excrete so it seems it would have at least one major effect.

But I don't know what the story is with your girl. I hope someone can help you.

I had one of my previous dogs' anal glands removed when they were getting full and infected every 2 weeks! :)

She had Faecal incontinence for 5 days following surgery but after that she was great. Keep in mind she was nearly 4yrs old at the time and I probably wouldnt do it on a puppy, I would wait til it's a couple years old before exploring the option. I wouldn't hesitate to do it in the future to any dog of mine because it did nothing but the world of good. She did sometimes have constipation but being a dog not allowed raw meat or bones and being on a very strict diet had she been able to have them we wouldnt have had the constipation. We tried various foods and supplements to help with the Anal glands which all failed hence the reason we had them removed. I did give her when she was having some problems some fibre which helped her excrete a little easier. Some dogs their only option is to have them removed IMO.

Have they been infected or just full and requiring the vet to empty them?

Our Frenchie has had issues with her anal glands (she scoots around on the carpet every 3-4 weeks which made her temporarily feel better but give her a rash and sore around her wizza) - so were were off to the vets once a month to have them done. Since I switched her food to BARF she has really firm poos and has been fine for the last 8 weeks! :) Maybe you could try switching food? The BARF is expensive but Asti is so much more calmer, less itchy and her bum is better too!

I would not be rushing in to have the anal glands removed at such a young age unless they were soooo infected as to make the dog sick.

Learn how to empty them yourself, (there is a video you can watch on you tube I think to show you how, do a search on DOL forum), best time is when you are bathing the dog.

BARF is very good food, maybe expensive for a large dog but definitely worth it.

You can also try adding psyllium husks to the food, great fibre, available in most supermarkets.

I answered in the other thread but will answer this too.

I have Samoyeds and no anal glad problems here and I have to admit yours is the first I have herd of with this problem.

Not saying it dosn't happen, obviously is does, but I've never herd of it being an issue for the breed.

Did you speak with your breeder about this?

Have they ever had issues before and if so what did they do?

Personally I wouldn't be jumping into surgery on the word of one vet. I would be getting a second or even a third opinion and make my decision from there.

What are you actually giving her to increase fibre? Maybe he diet needs tweaking a bit more to help her along. i Had trouble with one of my girls when she was younger and I upped the fibre in her diet and now after going to the vets every month she hasn't had them done for well over a year. I used Phsyllium (sp) mixed with her meat and veg. She doesn't need it at all now.

I am another that has just been down the path of getting my dog Toby's anal glands removed 3 weeks ago. We tried everything, BARF, psyllium husks, excerise and nothing made a difference. Because of everything I had read about having it done I believe I made Toby suffer longer than I should of. Without warning he would get infected glands and abscesses and was having to be be put under anesthetic to have them fixed. Finally enough was enough and the vet couldn't see an end to it so we had them removed. I didn't want him having to continue dealing with this in his old age. He is 7 now. I wouldn't do it on a young dog or if you hadn't tried other things first. That being said, I am very happy with the outcome so far and there has been no trouble with his bowel movements since. I now wish I had done it earlier but if he was now incontinent from the operation I know I wouldn't be saying that. The vet that operated on him said she has done about 3 per year for the past 10 years and has had 1 become incontinent for the first 4 weeks, other than that all successes. I am a relieved woman knowing it isn't a problem we have to deal with any more and it went well:)