Large Breed Puppy Food

Thanks everyone for your replies!

Goldielover, how much vitamin C should I give him?

I'll definately get the medium size bag of whatever food I end up getting. I stupidly bought the 18kg bag of Supercoat originally, so I still have plenty left! Oh well someone else can have it!

Magstar, looking at Oscar's pic, i wouldn't be concerned at all - puppies go through some awkward growth spurts and he is only a little 'east west'. This often corrects itself as the puppy grows.

I just buy the powder form of Vitamin C and give 1/2 a teaspoon twice a day mixed in with something yummy. I would still supplement if the ProPlan contains Vitamin C as it really would be in small amounts - more than likely not enough to have any positive effect. Ester C can be difficult to find - Wagner Laboratories do make it though - it is an easily digestible form of Vitamin C - gentle on the stomach and is absorbed really well. Also consider feeding foods that are rich in natural calcium (don't supplement with medication though) eg. 4 or 5 chicken necks a few days a week; cottage cheese (maybe once or twice a week).

Don't forget to change the dry food over gradually to so that Oscar doesn't get loose stools - over a week or 2 should do it!

Many believe that the amounts of protein and fat etc in the puppy kibble encourages too fast a growth - i think much can also come down to the breed of dog, lines and the food the pup is eating. If it was myself, eg say when i get my Berner pup, I'd be buying the best possible food siuting the pup (i'll be aiming for the RC Giant range) and feeding the pup puppy food until the pup is around 6 months onto the Junior range and then start introducing adult kibble at around 12months (RC is the only range that does baby puppy/puppy, Junior and adult etc i think)- raw meaty bones etc will already be a standard part of the diet.

Edited by KitKat

dogs synthesize vitamin C, and it is in their food. Unless the dog is seriously deficient why add more C to a premium product? All you are doing is wasting money. Unless the animal has been severely lacking in a balanced diet his east west feet could simply be a genetic fault. An experienved veterinarian would be able to properly diagnose the problem or if you are very worried have x-rays taken.

Re: the mince, it depends on what people mean by "mince"

human grade mince that's meat only - most would see as unnecessary

mince w/ bones etc - many would view differently (also amount + frequency of feeding)

If you're going to give mince w/ bones in it, you might as well just give the bone though - mince isn't going to do much to keep teeth clean.