Agility Training Talk Thread

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No news from us, we were entered in a trial on Saturday that I was really looking forward to as they always have nice grounds and it's been awhile since our last one. Plus we have had a few private lessons and been working on a few things so wanted to test them out.

Unfortunately a little bitch who shall remain nameless not only waited until I had driven to the grounds, set up, walked a course and ready to go decide that that very moment was the best time to come into season!! (Yup I checked the night before as well as before leaving and no indication)

I wouldn't have even known if I didn't give her a quick brush before our go, and she was being squirmy so I put my hand between her back legs to steady her and....awesome.....blood!

A whole month early, for a bitch who has been so consistent and spot on with being due it was a tad annoying at the time.

Now to cross fingers she has a normal season and is finished in a couple of weeks so we can do the state trials!

Bloody bitches who'd have 'em? :p

Booker has been doing well at training - last week he finally went on the Dog Walk on his own without me offering a treat each step - very bloody fast though - I could hardly keep up!

We are both really enjoying it - and the club we train at is really good and the instructor is lovely :)

My lesson on Saturday was amazing..... I learnt so much and am loving trying it out.

Got home and realised I forgot to mention my weave problems... Pulled them out and did a quick 10 minute session... At the end of it, Hemi was Weaving 4 in a row... now to add more!

Fantastic Lisey and RnH :thumbsup: Sounds like you are having fun!

I had a great night at training tonight....Em should have been exhausted with all the retrieving work today and yesterday but she was delightfully feral and keen - nothing funnier than a 400 dog who thinks she needs to clear 600! Super responsive and hard running. Zig was great and I pushed him harder - layering and sending from further out - mucked him up but he bounced back and worked it out! I also had the privilege of running one of my favourite dogs - a super quick 400 Masters BC - she reminds of Em and was more than happy to run for me. Nailed her contacts, was heaps of fun and only mucked up the weaves because I didn't use her correct command early enough. I was so out of breath!!!!! But it gives her handler another option at a trial as her knee gives her some grief.

They are also known as 'flirt poles' which might make it easier to search (I see it's referred to as a flirt pole in RS's link)

RnH - another thing to try are the raccoon tail chasers (basically a raccoon tail on a length of rope) - Trixie goes nuts for hers and it can be whipped around like a little furry animal - I usually buy them from CR on free shipping but they don't seem to have them on CR at all at the moment - but I found them on Cosmolo's (DOLer) website http://www.underdogtraining.com.au/equipment/ under toys

Just thought I'd share this. The problem - I haven't done a lot of jump grids with Wikki so her jumping can sometimes be a little suspect. She tends to take off early for jump and often brings it down as a result. The solution - including a jump bump with some pool noodle upright work.

This way we get around the issue of lack of drive/confusion, but are helping her understand where to take off from. The 'jump bump' is placed about 5' in front of the jump to show her where she needs to take off from. ie: It's just a bit too far to take off behind so she has to pattern to taking off in front of it. It becomes a 'stride' regulator.

We are doing this in the hope that because she will be knocking fewer bars she will become more confident and as a result speed up like she does every time something 'clicks'

Good reminder, AD. People tend to forget about, or underestimate, the importance of jump training. Doesn't mean you'll never have a bar down - but it certainly minimises the risk - apart from being a good conditioner.

ETF typo - 'cos I invented a new word "pimportance" :laugh:

Edited by Tassie

I will be going to Redlands tonight :) The organisers never got back to me from Durack, and Redlands have been great fitting around my work so far - so will see how things go there!

Karen at Redlands is great. :) It's not quite as formal as I understand QAJDC to be, but everyone I know who goes there has a heap of fun. We've got a few members who train at both BAD and Redlands.