Vets Condolences

Enigma

My beautiful girl was put to sleep last year by the vet who had treated her since puppyhood. The vet, the assistant, my husband and me all cried together as she went. They left us for a time to hold her and talked to us when we came out. A few days later a card and a special poem dedicated to our girl was received from the vet. They also held her ashes for me until I felt I could pick them up. Some people are just special.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I felt it was time to pts my boy and went in a wednesday only to be seen by my long term vet and her vet nurse who decided they weren't ready to do it! So I was sent home with some pain killers and spent 2 and a half days with my boy just lying around, talking to him and hugging him and taking photos. I took him back in for the last appoint on the saturday. I got one of the other vets and vet nurses but it didn't matter. He was ready and I was ready. I stayed with him while it happened just talking and hugging him. They left me alone with him as long as I wanted and I took his collar off (seemed important for him to not still be wearing it 'forver') and gave them a bright beach towel I wanted him wrapped in. They also put his name tag in with him (stupid but if in a hundred years someone digs into the spot I want them to know who is there). They sewed him into a canvas bag and sealed him into a plastic bag and carried him to the car for me. I took him home and buried him. I expected a bill later but they said there was no charge for either the wed or sat visit.

Monday when I got home from work there was a flower display with a hand written card on my front verandah from the vet hospital. All the staff there that I knew (and who knew my boy) had written messages in it. It makes me emotional almost 3 years later thinking about it. And I don't think it is because I was a regular customer. The staff there knew I loved my boy and had done a lot of work to keep him well over a lot of years. Same for his mother - both came to live with me seperately after not being adequately cared for by their original owners. The staff care about me because I care about my pets. I've seen other people in their getting their pets pts and the same care and respect is shown to them. Makes a difference because yes to some people it is just a dog but to me they are family members.

When I took my sick pet rat on her last journey to the vet, I got a lot of support and hugs from the whole team there. (I couldn't stop crying!) A few days later I received a lovely card in the mail, signed by the whole team at the vet clinic. It started the tears all over again, but they really were lovely people and it's a great gesture. They knew how much people love their pets, even such small and short-lived pets as a rat!

When our dear heart dog passed away last year , the vet staff were so lovely and kind. They did not rush us out , but let us have as much time as we needed...

They also sent a lovely card and wrote some comforting words about our little girl - all very true ( not a cooky cutter kind of card )

I know my parents vets also send a little card... it is a nice touch

My vet were great. Firstly they didn't make us pay the bill on the day and said we could work it out when we collected Minka's ashes as we were very very upset and we received a lovely card from them :)

Mine are like that too. Makes things easier on the day. And the staff are so kind the next time they see me - more tears all round - but it is lovely to know that they understand how much our pets mean to us, and they share in our loss.

Exactly, We were crying so much and to stand there in reception trying to get payment organised would have been terrible, I cried again when we collected her ashes but they were all so understanding :)