Dog Sledding

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how about Borzoi?

borzoisled.jpg

Mine sure can pull me along. Maybe i could try. would be a laugh.

Gorgeous!!!! :laugh: One of those is cheating though - and it looks like a boy.

I do love the 'zoi. :p

Edited by poodlefan

www.sylvanborzoi.com/ driving/driving.html

Did you notice the two dogs in harness are in perfect step. :laugh:

i reckon borzoi'd be great at dressage, they can do all the moves, i doubt they could be trained to do it on commend however.

Thanks for the reminder, I bought a scooter with a reasonably long wheelbase from the tip shop for $4 (always haggle) and started teaching my GSD to pull it. Rugby has started to feel too safe and predictable for me so I might pull the harness back out and give it another go.

I don't recall "paws of death" being a dressage move??? :)

Didn't dressage start as moves that may be needed in battle? So did 'paws of death' :laugh:

Aren't they lovely in that photo. I think two of mine might be willing to do that.

The other one would run amok, charge into traffic and put us under the wheels of a bus

Edited by Diva

I'd love to do sledding with my maybe future sibe. A little dream of mine :)

whats wrong with the dogs you have now?

Bailey (golden retriever) is too lazy :thumbsup: and I don't really have an excuse for Jess (BC), other than she already does obedience and agility (maybe flyball soon) so I don't really want to confuse her.

Hi, I have heard great things of GSPs in sledding; another advantage is that in non-sledding season you can do agility, flyball or gun dog work as well. And don't believe it will confuse your dog; the more and varied activities you do, the better your relationship with your dog and the more he will concentrate on working for you.

good luck!

GSP's became very popular about 10 years ago. There are still a few that compete on the national circuit however they burn out very quickly.

They are not 'designed' for want of a better word, to pull and as you can imagine, it puts alot of pressure on the dog. Some of those who have raced them over the years had very high expectations and did alot of damage to the dogs early on.

They are harder to train at sledding as it's not a natural instinct for them. Yes they are bloody fast, but that's no good to you if they can't pull you and don't take corners!! You would need to be extremely dedicated to a training regime and if it were me, I wouldn't race them before 2 years of age when they have finished growing and have actually matured a bit.

In Australia, there are now those who are racing Pointer/Alaskan Husky crosses. The work ethic has been bred into them along with things like good feet, natural instinct and the ability to pull in harness. Only time will tell if mushers stick to this mix here but it's certainly popular O/S.