Big Breeds, Big Litters

Kristina

I currently have a litter of 11 pups, we lost 2. They're just over a wk old and soooo darn cute. I've asked a few breeders about having big litters and what's best to do to make sure everyone is happy and no pups lacking. I also had a quick look over Vic dog reg and noticed that there's not many big litters, at least not registered.

A friend said that maybe it's not that the litter size is getting smaller over time but that maybe the breeders are culling due to not being able to find enough homes.

So im wondering, with breeders of big breeds, do you cull? Know anyone that does? Whats your average litter size?

I'm used to my chi's and litters that are never more then 6, so to have 13 pop out was a shock. It worries me too, they sook a lot more then any other pups i've had, all gaining and growing, seem ok, just sooks.

No I don't cull. My litter sizes have been

9 (2 pts due to cleft palate)

12 (1 passed at day 5)

Others in my breed have had up to 16 (from a frozen semen litter!)

I have only known of one person in the breed who has culled once. I don't know the reasons behind it so it wouldn't be fair of me to comment on their situation.

We had 11 beautiful Mastiff babies, although it was the hardest thing i have ever done in my life mothering those babies, no way in heck was i culling any of them, wether they were going to be placed as pets or used for showing/breeding all of them were very valuable.

We have three main colours, all can be shown and bred, so no faults there, and there were no obvious health problems so there was no reason to cull any of them. I did have to bottle feed them and had to watch them 24/7, i was their mother and it was hard work, but that was no reason to kill any of them off just so i could have it easy.

I found all of mine great homes, for a resonable price, what i wanted. But they are good quality dogs, so that was not a problem there. Other breeders at the moment though cannot give their pups away.

What breed do you have?

Thanks for replies. Hannah why did you have to do all the work? Wasn't mum ok?

Ashanali, how did the litter of 11 go? Did you have to help out or did mum do it all?

I'm worried about mine, their poo isn't consistent with all of them, some have slight green tint to them. Their mum doesnt' want to stay with them all the time either. She never did their toilets properly either, we've had to help out. I'm just glad i took the wk off and that she had them early so i was able to help for their whole first wk. I'll be very annoyed if i miss something and loose them.

Kristina, green poo can be a first sign of infection or tummy upset, are you supplementing them to help the bitch if she's struggling ?

I'd be starting them on Protexin straight away, or some clavulox drops if you feel they are showing signs of not being 100%

fifi

That's what i was thinking Fifi. I'll have to get some, maybe even put mum on it. I wasn't supplementing at all, just making sure all were getting enough food. They're not loosing or holding, they're all gaining so i didn't think there was a need for help. I'll go see my vet and get some stuff.

My girl got Mastitis, so i had to feed, plus you can't leave the mums in with them anyway (squishing of pups) so it's always 24/7 hour care wether you bottle feed or let them feed off mum.

Toileting them yourself is a good idea, you can see what's coming out.

Definitely get them checked out, from experience with my own litter yukky green poos are not good! AB's may be in order for them.

Our litters were

12 (one passed on day 2) so 11

Havent culled and wouldnt do so in the future.

We didnt have too many problems other than mum needing TONNES of food and water! And then the resulting amount of poo! LOL They were all wonderful mothers, never had any problems with puppies and mothers. All the very best with your brood!

Large litters are common in our breed and I've had bitches successfully raise ten to twelve puppies without supplementation. You usually find that the more pups there are the more milk is produced, it's a matter of supply and demand. I never cull, but on the other hand I don't continue to try to keep weak pups alive if they're not thriving. I used to do it and a couple survived but had problems in adulthood so now I'll revive pups and give them extra attention for a while but if they don't respond I let them go.