Is This Really The Way It Should Work?

The Ark

I (like every other Aussie breeder in Australia, I guess) received this email from the Dogs NSW Marketing Division this morning, urging me to advertise in the upcoming Aussie feature.

Good morning,

Just letting you know that there is an Australian Shepherd Spotlight coming up in Dogs NSW magazine!

Dogs NSW is distributed to 11,000 members monthly, making it the largest purebred dog magazine in Australia. It is a great opportunity to showcase your success, promote your kennels/litters or get yourself noticed by the judges and we have a feature all about Australian Shepherds in October.

Is this really what our Canine Council should be promoting - that breeders with the greatest financial resources are automatically the ones whose dogs are put up at shows??? Isn't it about judging the dogs on the day??? This is a joke. Yes I'm new to showing, and yes, I know about "face judging" - but to have the practice blatantly encouraged by the body which is supposed to protect the interests of all members and not just those who can afford to pay $1700 for a double-page spread?? Disgusting. :)

I got the same email.

You have to have something to advertise, is a judge really going to look at a dog that's done stuff all winning, when all there is in the ad is a pic of a dog and no wins to mention? What would you be advertising? Do I agree with it, no and good judges shouldn't be influenced by who can afford to advertise.

I have put Ruby in the DNA diary because we felt proud of her achievements and wanted to share it. We didn't expect it to increase her winning and I don't believe it has. Her brother was also in there and has hardly been shown this year. Not all advertising is for the judges, I have nothing against it but I don't think judges should be swayed by it. And I don't think it should have been written in the email!!!

I am all for advertising your own wins and other successes - everyone is entitled to do this and I love seeing photos of successful dogs in the magazine. I was however highly "offended" (read lots of other words into this) by the implication contained within this email. We all know it happens, but to have it sanctioned in correspondence from Dogs NSW is a disgrace. :rofl: (and I think there should be an angrier emoticon than that one too :confused:)

I wonder if Dogs NSW are aware of the content of the email given that they are usually sent out by the publisher of the magazine? Might be worth checking out and perhaps bringing to the attention of Dogs NSW?

I've already replied to the girl who sent the email, suggesting they might want to think about their wording and will follow it up with Dogs NSW and ANKC. I just can't believe how dumb the wording is - for dog's sake, why put it out there like that in black & white? Not the smartest thing I've read lately.

I am all for advertising your own wins and other successes - everyone is entitled to do this and I love seeing photos of successful dogs in the magazine. I was however highly "offended" (read lots of other words into this) by the implication contained within this email. We all know it happens, but to have it sanctioned in correspondence from Dogs NSW is a disgrace. :laugh: (and I think there should be an angrier emoticon than that one too :drink:)

This one is slightly angrier :laugh:

:eek:

People advertise their dogs in these publications all the time, but agree, the wording is very poor I have to say.

I received one reply, after which we cleared up the difference between "inference" and "implication". Happy to see pics of lovely dogs - just think they need someone else handling the PR/advertising side of it. :eek:

That is a better angry face, RubyStar! :drink:

See this was my stupid mistake when I advertised Lincoln... I only put him in the image and I didn't take up half the picture! :drink: Stupid me assumed I was advertising him to let people know there was a Chesapeake in WA, not because I could simply put a pic of my face and Groups would fall my way. :eek:

Edited by valleyCBR

By the way, if you are thinking of advertising, don't respond straight away. My breed has already been covered, as it got closer to the cut off date they kept sending additional emails with special reduced pricing. So, those who took up the offer intitially would have paid more than those who took up the second or third offer!