Dog Barking Since A Traumatising Event

melzawelza

Hey guys!

A friend of a friend is having issues with her dog and out mutual friend hooked us up seeing as she knows i'm working in training. However i'm fairly new to the behavioural side of things - good with obedience training and normal issues like digging, normal barking etc but this situation has me stumped.

She has a 4yo lab that she got from the RSPCA a year or so ago. Loves him to death, used to have a lot of problems with him using his mouth to get his own way but has since taken a more 'leadership' role and done NILIF etc and is pretty much on top of this issue now.

One thing she's always loved about the dog is that he's never been a barker. Would let off a bark or two when she left for work but that's about it.

Very recently she went away for a couple of weeks and her father was looking after the dog for her. During her time away her dad actually had a stroke while he was walking the dog (He is fine now thank god!). As I understand it it was fairly full on, with him falling down etc. Luckily a passer by helped her father and her dog back to safety.

The problem now is that the dog has started barking when he can't see the father. I'm talking like 20mins-half hour straight barking (not sure if he would stop after this, she told me that the father went out to him after this long, therefore reinforcing the behaviour). When he can see the father again he stops.

I'm reluctant to advise her to do the usual barking type things I may suggest like a spray bottle etc as it seems that this behaviour is stemming from anxiety and I don't know enough to say for sure what would be the best plan of action?

It seems to be almost definitely related to the father and the stroke due to him rarely ever barking at all previously. Maybe he is worried about the father and barking until he can see him to check that he is ok? Maybe he doesn't feel safe unless the father is close? I don't know.

What would the people here suggest for this kind of behaviour?

cross posting here from training to hopefully get a few more ideas.

I'm reluctant to advise her to do the usual barking type things I may suggest like a spray bottle etc

I understand you are still learning - I hope that you are learning a positive training technique, not negative.

eta: i never helped to answer the question.

I would treat it as separation anxiety. Take the father away for few brief periods and gradually increase, use boredom buster type toys to distract, no 'hellos' or 'goodbyes' etc.

Edited by shmoo

Thanks for the advice, I did advise her to use some boredom buster type toys and/or a large bone etc and make sure they are reinforcing the quiet by going out to him while he is quiet etc.

Hi schmoo - I am in no ways a positive only trainer. I completely disagree with closing my mind to two quadrants. I have no problems with pinch collars, remote trainers etc just like i have no problem with treats, toys, praise etc. whatever works for the dog. HOWEVER in an area I am not well versed in (anxiety/seperation behaviours) I would not be suggesting any form of punishment due to my inexperience in that particular area.