Am I In The Wrong Here?

aussielover

I have had that happen to me. I always take my dog away if the other owner can't handle the level of play. My dog lets the other dog be of her own accord, if it can't handle the level of play. But if the other dog still approaches my dog after its owner has expressed fear, I put mine on lead, and ask the other owner to control their dog.

At this point the owner has no right to complain because their dog is then harrasing yours - and breaking the law in most states. You could call the ranger if you need to. I do feel very sorry for puppies whose owners have no clue about dog behaviour or how to teach even a basic recall.

As for the obedience class - I think the woman with the out of control mastiff would have been kicked out of our classes. In our club, it is expected that dog owners get permission from other owners before allowing their dog to "greet" another. They should be at least apologetic if things go pear shaped or their dog breaks the collar or whatever.

Oh Lordy! That women would have a fit if she saw my two playing! Their play is all growly and teeth! Had a few accidental tooth punctures in each other's faces but nothing serious.

You were def. not in the wrong. The other woman was over reacting and she was in the wrong letting her puppy come up [and continue to come up] and play with yours without permission.

Playing bitey faces? I was playing that game with a 6month old GSD today :dancingelephant: (i would have snuck him home if i thought i could have gotten away with it!)

Unfortunately the comment 'oh they are just playing' etc can add to the stress of it all...i mean how many times has that been heard being said by the owner of a dog going over the top in it's behaviour etc? Good dog behaviour isn't always understood by the owner as we all know :laugh: I find it easier to remove my dog from such instances - safer for my dog which makes for a happier me :laugh:

Not in the wrong because you had Mindy under effective control, where as her puppy was not. Ignore her and move on.

Though one thing to remember, even if you believe someone is completely wrong in saying that the play is "really aggressive" or "Inappropriate", it is their right to ask for you to take your puppy away. (Which you did aussielover :grouphug: )

Why is it that some people bring their dog to a park and then expect others who are already there to stop what they are doing just to accommodate the new person's "needs"?

You took Mindy away from the situation - the other dog kept coming to play. Sounds to me that the other pup's owner needs a lesson in dog park ettiquette. If she didn't want her dog to keep approaching yours, then she should have popped it back on lead until Mindy wasn't at the park... you were there first, and Mindy wasn't hurting anyone.

T.

Puppies are puppies, it's that simple and love to play.

This statement is far too simplistic. Not all puppies want to play. Even very young puppies can be aggressive.

Maybe you should read the OP's first post before you comment on what I said. :crossfingers::rasberry: