Dog Wash

Hello everyone, I am wondering what to use on my Maltese for washing. There are so many brands on the market now and I am confused. I want her to have a nice smell as she has that "DOGGIE" smell all the time. I am using a home brand shampoo with tea tree in it.

Ant suggestions would be grateful.

:thumbsup: Many thanks Bonnie22

if she has that doggie smell all the time then time for a good vet check to see if it is one of the reasons poodle fan put up.

Stop washing the dog too regularly too, stripping all the oils and good bacteria on the skin can contribute to stinky dog. ALso if you are feeding any dog food that has wheat, artificial colours, flavours and a lot of meat by product in it that usually is a big contributor to doggy smell. Maltese really shouldnt smell

I bought some Aloveen on the recommendation of the good people here, and bathed Genevieve with it the first time this morning. It is BLOODY FANTASTIC!!!! Smells devine!! I thought she had a shiny silky coat before, but you could really tell the difference after one wash (and I was using another puppy specific wash that I got at the pet shop!). I would highly recommend it!

I got mine off ebay, but there are heaps of online places where it is a bit cheaper than to buy from a store. A little bit also goes a long way if you mix it with water before applying to the body.

I suggest when you wash your little maltese you also condition.

I recommend something like excelpet's tea tree shampoo, give them a good wash all over and then rinse, rinse, rinse. Follow up with some human conditioner but just take a litte in your hands and rub it through the wet hair.

The conditioner helps seal the hairshaft, making it smoother - less likely to knot up and less likely to "take up" dirt and smells.

Don't forget to wash all the dog's bedding everytime you wash the dog and you should make sure there aren't other reasons for the smell (ears are a common culprit, as are teeth).

I honestly love the Exelpet Flea Control Shampoo. I use it on cats and dogs. Cheap as chips and just gives a lovely fresh smell. Of course, there are lots of other more fragrant ones out there.

I haven't used them yet, but I'll eventually buy some of this: http://www.worldforpets.com.au/products/pr...etail.asp?ID=82

There are a few different fruity flavours in the range which sound delicious :eek:

As Lowenhart said, make sure you also wash the dog's bedding too, as if it smells then your dog will start to smell again after sleeping in it.

for a malt i am assuming it is white or mainly white so i would use a whitening shampoo like fidos white and bright and then a little bit of conditioner bio groom has a nice one as does fidos. U can also buy colognes so after the bath give the dog a little spray and the bedding after a wash give it a spray this way u can spray the dog again in between baths meaning u dont have to wash the dog as much.

If its an amazin smell your after (and assuming the doggy odour isnt health related) I recommend Pet Esthe, and the Charcoal Mud range specifically for a white dog.

I have just moved from Isle of Dog to Pet Esthe and when I open the door to come into the house, the gorgeous fragrance just hits you.

Its really, REALLY gorgeous stuff :rainbowbridge: A small bottle of Shampoo and a Small Conditioner will leave you with a few dollars change from a $50 :laugh:

For my Aussie Terrier Poochie I'd always use a wash high in oatmeal because she had really bad skin and smelled foul because of it (after 13 years we changed vets and he discovered she had seasonal mange mites the poor bugger). I can't remember off the top of my head what I use now but it's oatmeal and baking soda and it keeps my new pup smelling fresh for weeks. The lil mite hadn't had a bath for about 4 months because of the weather and I have no hose connection access to hot water and people were always telling me how clean he looked.

But like some others have suggested, try bathing less and use a whiting shampoo. I know Perfect Coat does a black and white shampoo and it's available in Big W. Personally I prefer the more citrus smelling ones and when I had hydrodog come and wash my Zeus-ling I had him smelling like tutti-frutti! :laugh:

I always used Fido's shampoo on my grooming dogs unless they had a skin complaint. As long as they are washed and dried thoroughly they will smell clean. A spray with a nice doggy cologne is always nice - i recommend ooh la la.