Help Please

Pug Hugger

My little sister got the photographer's gene in my family - demonstrated by the fact that I managed to smash the lense in of our old canon point and shoot :thumbsup:

So we need a new one. It needs to take photos. Nice photos would be a bonus. I understand we won't get the SLR 'look' with a point and shoot but I would like something as close to as possible and am willing to pay extra for it.

So could you please recommend a camera for me? Make and model please! Probably no more than $500 unless it is extraordinary :idea:

Don't know if I need to provide any more information but your help is appreciated :laugh:

I just picked up the Lumix TZ10 from JB Hi-Fi in Rundle Mall for $544 if you talk them down enough! I think Diamonds are doing it for $550 :thumbsup:

Awesome little camera, goes with me everywhere (and I have Pro dSLR gear for the real shoots!).

I'd recommend it over almost all other P&S cameras :laugh:

For me #1 thing on the wish list for a point and shoot is a swivel screen, you can get a bit more creative with it - The canon G11 has a swivel screen, and I think Canon have another slightly cheaper model with a swivel screen

I am another Lumix fan :rofl:

I started out with that and there were quite a few people that thought I was using a DSLR :rofl: The video function records in HD, so it's great quality.

My Lumix photos start here (at the chunky reindeer kid :eek:) through to the end of the stream.

ETA This set from Soundwave was also on the Lumix http://www.flickr.com/photos/lolapug/sets/72157624468089181/

Edited by huga

With a swivel screen the LCD screen opens up and goes around in circles so you can hold the camera at any angle and point the screen toward you so you can still see what you are shooting, great for getting different angles

Another vote for lumix, I had two before I got my slr and the quality is awesome, they just never faulter! Steer clear nikon point and shoot. My slr is nikon and it's awesome, my p & s is nikon as well and I'd gladly swap it for something else anyday. I've also had a canon p & s and they are ok. What ever you get make sure you get one with a lithium battery, that way you can recharge it and notbhave to worry about regular battrys. It's confusing because there is a lot of p & s around these days!!

One of my panas had a swivel live display they are awesome!!

For me #1 thing on the wish list for a point and shoot is a swivel screen, you can get a bit more creative with it - The canon G11 has a swivel screen, and I think Canon have another slightly cheaper model with a swivel screen

I'm a Canon fan and have had a G10 which is great - it has most features of an SLR in manual mode (you can also put an additional lens on the front) and most SLR photography courses will let you take the G-series along to use and learn how to take SLR photos. I've now upgraded to a Canon 7D but still love my G10 for the size and fantastic photos...

I just picked up the Lumix TZ10 from JB Hi-Fi in Rundle Mall for $544 if you talk them down enough! I think Diamonds are doing it for $550 :rofl:

Awesome little camera, goes with me everywhere (and I have Pro dSLR gear for the real shoots!).

I'd recommend it over almost all other P&S cameras :rofl:

I got a Lumix TZ7 a year or so ago to replace my Canon Ixus and I love it :cheer: It shoots HD video, and has a burst mode option which I use a lot for action shots, I really like it and would recommend it :cheer: Easy to use for a photography noob like me :thumbsup:

It was $580 on special from memory. I think it's been superseded by the one SB is talking about? Not sure.