Scent / Pheremone "pee Here" Type Things

mumof3

I was just looking through an online pet supplies shop, and I saw these things for toilet training puppies. It looks like they are impregnated with either a pheremone or a scent (there are two different brand names) and you place them in the yard to encourage your puppy to toilet near the stick (with the smell / pheremones). Has anyone tried them and are they any good? If they work well, what a wonderful idea! We seem to be rounding a corner with toilet training now, but I wonder if these would have made things any easier / faster?

I bought one of those thinking that the boys might begin to pee up the back of the yard instead of near the back door.

They both just looked at it coz it was something different in the backyard and went and peed on the pot plants again.

So what I am saying is they don't work..........Not at this house anyway.

:) Yes, this is what I am imagining. I wonder if you used it from the beginning with a puppy that had not already formed a habit of, say "peeing on the potplants".

BTW I used to hve a much loved and often used collection of kitchen herbs at the back door, then one day I spotted my husbands working do peeing on them. I didn't use them again. Now I've bought a pet dog, I've got a bitch. That same dog was caught peeing on the stroller, the esky, pretty much anything that he shouldn't...

We bought the toilet training drops (the stuff you sprinkle over grass or wherever) to see if'd encourage the dogs to go in the sanded part of the yard we wanted them to use (as opposed to, you know, just everywhere) and it had no noticable effect on any of the dogs.

Absolutely none at all.

There may well be a difference between brands but I'm guessing you'd save yourself a bit of money if you just continued with training.

Find where puppy has peed

wipe with paper towel or thick tissue

allow to dry or for added zing use fresh

voila! Instant puppy pheromone attractant pad! And it even smells like him too!

Forget the gimmicks, use his own poop and wee.

definitely.

I fostered two five week old pups.

I set up the puppy pen with bedding at one end and papers at the other end. I put some of the drops stuff on the paper to encourage them to go there, and they didn't. However if I didn't put it there they happily used the paper! So it actually seemed to put them off.

Ofcourse I regularly took them outside for toiletting but because they were so young I had to use papers as well :o

Edited by raineth

Excellent advice. Thank you Nekhbet. What a pity though, it was quite an appealing thought that all you had to do was buy one of these things and stick it in the corner of the garden and BANG - puppy would do his business in just the right place. Oh well. At least the light is at the end of the tunnel for us now. Thanks everyone for sharing your stories.