Dog Ramp Training

I'm after some advice or tips on making my dogs use a ramp.

I just bought the dogs a Solvit dog ramp, but neither will use it. The dogs are 8 and 10, so both getting on in age.

I feel like a bloody idiot outside trying to get them to walk up but they won't. I really only bought it for the old girl, to get in

and out of the ute, but i'd prefer if both would use it.

Is persistence the only answer ?

Otherwise it might end up in the for sale thread /

what have you tried so far?

The fastest way I get a balking dog up a ramp is with 2 people, have a collar and lead on the dog, one person hold the dog firmly very close to the collar (or even by collar) and the other next to you guiding and pushing back legs up. When the dog reaches the top reward and then help them down slowly.

rinse and repeat until the dog stops faffing about. It can be a bit scary and uncoordinated but get them over that "I dont wanna do it!" hump and they will use it.

The male gets too excited and just runs and jumps into the ute. I managed to get the old girl onto the ramp,

but she was a bit wobbly and wouldn't go any further.

make sure the ramp is stable. If you want him to use it, again hold him close to the collar so you can control his speed, apply pressure if he rushes (which is now a habit)

Try like I said for the older girl, if she feels unstable she will stop. If you need to put a rag under one corner to stop the wobbles do that, and help her up and down a few times with rewards.

If I can get a huge mastiff up a ramp I'm sure we can get a rottie :o and her favourite food as a bribe up the top wouldnt go astray too, but dont let her stand too long, if a dog stops moving so does the mind. Then its just like trying to drag a stone.

I use a variation of targetting to slow my dog down on ramps in agility.

I have nice treat in my hand, she knows it, and she slows down to follow the treat in my hand.

You could try this with your rotti and then pair it with a word like "steady".

With the older dog, I think you will need to be patient and do lots of short sessions.

Eg session one:

front paws on the ramp (flat on the ground) - good, praise/reward/treat.

then repeat maybe three times, depending on her enthusiasm or lack of it. But a few minutes is more than enough.

session two, front paws and back paws on the ramp (flat on the ground)...

session three, find a small height for the ramp ie the back step of the house or something.

front paws - work as for session one

then back paws or break into to sessions.

If she goes all the way up the ramp, up the rest of the stairs and into the house or whatever - celebrate, you're nearly there.

Then work on putting the ramp near the car. And maybe having a small box to hold the end instead of all the way up initially.

Ramp must be super steady for ms ancient and wobbly or she will be put off.

Failing that you may need to get her one of those walking frames for old or wobbly people. Nobody (no dog?) likes to be in fear of falling.

I have one of those great thing my 3 shepherds use it, we have a Mazda BT50 4wd and I actually put the ramp on the tyre as the door to get in the crate is there and in they go.

At first Kim didnt like it so I put her on a leash placed a board up one side and stood on the other and she went up easy as i was on one side and the other side was a board. After a few times of going up and down like this I removed the board. I think they are scared of falling into the open space they sense she was much more comfortable with the board there, now they just run up and down it even if it is on the side of the tray and not the tyre.

good luck

I too have a solvit ramp, love it!!! Mainly got it for the 25kg bulldog but my rottie has hip dysplasia and after she's been running around too much is very reluctant to jump in the car. I found the surface was a bit off putting for my rottie initially, cause the construction of those ramps, if yours is the same as mine is solid and on any surface it isn't hard to get it to be stable. So maybe try putting a carpet or rubber runner or on it til they she gets used to it. That surface, even though it is meant to be non slip can still get a little slippery on a greater angle. Also I find the favourite toy going up the ramp to be helpful :)