Wanted Mini Daschund

sammyg

Better to save the money and buy one from an ethical registered breeder, who will be there to support you in the years to come.

Think you might be all right with spending the extra dollars and getting what you pay for. So expensive for something some small!!!!

Thanks for feedback.

Remember too that smaller dogs *generally* live longer than large dogs so really when you buy a small dog your money gets you better value (just another way to look at it).

Sorry but I actually think 500-800 dollars is a lot of money.A dog at that price I don't think is cheap. *snip*

Most DDs go for this amount or more, $500 for a purebreed dog sounds very cheap to me.

Guess my purebred dogs have been 'cheap' then with whatever that infers.

:hug:

What was implied was that $500 for a purebreed dog is inexpensive, please don't try to put words in my mouth; if I thought you were miserly or cheap, I'd have said just that.

Thanks for the reply people.

A few confusing comments from some posters, I was simply saying a price i am prepared to pay, day to day expenses are no issue at all i was simply stating that a lump sum payment of over $1000 may require abit of saving.

Thanks again for all comments. I will get the pup eventually!

Wow, people getting a purebred for $500?! And even more shockingly... $100?! (I'm not saying theres anything wrong with this necessarily, but its definitely not what I would call 'normal') My partner and I are looking into getting a new dog to be part of our family and are expecting to pay over $1000 without even blinking.

My advice would be to save up some more and be prepared to pay more. You do get what you pay for. Some are lucky and get a really great dog for a low price, but I think you're taking a bigger risk at the lower end of the price scale. Theres a reason that some are expensive - because people will pay it - theres a demand. Why will they pay it? Reputation, consistency, support, piece of mind and sound breeding.

Either way, good luck with it all and make sure you post some pictures when you do get him/her!! :thumbsup:

P.S. My family has owned dachshunds and they are great dogs. They really do have a great personality and I guarantee that you'll be able to get rid of your mop and vacuum, as they are like little four legged spill cleaners :cheer: If it falls on the floor, its gone before you have a chance to pick it up :laugh: (at least thats how its been with ours :rolleyes: )

good luck in your hunt :thumbsup:

i just wanted to add thing is with pet insurance you still need the $$ upfront then you get it back (i have heard sometimes months after you put the paper work in)

This is very true.... however I have spent $6000 on one of my animals this year, and all I have ended up paying in total is $100 for the excess, yes I had to pay upfront, but I got most of it back. Even adding up the total I have paid in insurance for all my animals, it still hasn't amounted to $6000. In this case, I am EXTREMELY happy I took out insurance.

As for the price of purebred puppies from registered ethical breeders. My first golden 16 years ago cost me $500 (limited register), the next, 12.5 years ago (main register), $650, my third, 3.5 years ago $950 (limited register - but he is now transferred to main as a neuter). My LH wei, $1400 main register show puppy. I'm looking at getting a main registered golden puppy in the next 6-12 months. I expect to pay over $1000. I don't know of any breeds that would be $500 or less these days. $800 probably would be a quite a few breeds out there.

The cost of ther dog depends on what suits your needs, what your want, and what you can (or choose) to deal with.

Our present Dobe came at the cost of...................inspection of prospective home by the owner who needed to re-home.

As we were more than happy to meet and show him around, that was nothing. Registered, pedigree dog, already de-sexed and immunised etec etc.

She was basically what we needed, wanted. We were able to cope with her issues and she's a gem. :thumbsup:

20 yeras ago, our obedience champ. desexed Wei cost .... $100. We had her for 15 years.

When I was an 18 year old, my first dog, a purebred Poodle cost about $20 from the RSPCA. But a fair bit in vets bills due to her ongoing issues from neglect etc. That is proably a lot more in today's terms. But any dog can have problems.

IF you are after a family pet, then I do recommend looking at re-homeing or buying an older dog. The cost of de-sexing alone can be more than you pay for an adult dog that needs a home. :rolleyes:

Puppies are all different prices and breeders sell their dogs for what they think is right or what they can get. My Shih Tzu came from a smaller town where they weren't that popular and she was pick of the litter for $650 on main register. But others in Brisbane were $800-$1000 at the time.

I know when I was looking at Daschunds last year they were around the $1000 mark. Good Luck in your search. They are great little dogs.

Wow, people getting a purebred for $500?! And even more shockingly... $100?! (I'm not saying theres anything wrong with this necessarily, but its definitely not what I would call 'normal') My partner and I are looking into getting a new dog to be part of our family and are expecting to pay over $1000 without even blinking.

My advice would be to save up some more and be prepared to pay more. You do get what you pay for. Some are lucky and get a really great dog for a low price, but I think you're taking a bigger risk at the lower end of the price scale. Theres a reason that some are expensive - because people will pay it - theres a demand. Why will they pay it? Reputation, consistency, support, piece of mind and sound breeding.

Either way, good luck with it all and make sure you post some pictures when you do get him/her!! :shrug:

P.S. My family has owned dachshunds and they are great dogs. They really do have a great personality and I guarantee that you'll be able to get rid of your mop and vacuum, as they are like little four legged spill cleaners :rofl: If it falls on the floor, its gone before you have a chance to pick it up :rofl: (at least thats how its been with ours :D )

Thanks!!!

I'll get my sausage dog! don't u worry!!!

I think the standard smooths are a bit cheaper than the minis. We got ours for around $750 and have seen others similarly priced. When we got ours we were also looking at minis and they were all at least $1000. I would have paid that much but we found our standard and really liked her breeder. No regrets whatsoever.