Dogs And Cats

kmaci

generally speaking id avoid mixing sighthounds and bully breeds with cats

i mind a saluki and hes fine with our cats but will go for others...i dont know what hed do with a strange cat

all our little dogs are fine with our ragdolls

ragdolls are very laidback

and they wont run...they just lie there and hold there ground for the most

our cockers and our goldie were fine with our moggies...giving chase if the cats streaked across the yard but otherwise never any harm done

ive heard that orientals might not be great with dogs overall but then ive read about exceptions too

Yep, got to avoid sighthounds and cats... :mad

DSC01375.jpg

DSC00271.jpg

DSC00304.jpg

My Great Dane was very keen on the cats for a while (despite having grown up around them) but my foster failure kitten smooched her so much, she is over it now. :laugh:

DSC00829.jpg

DSC00830.jpg

DSC00831.jpg

For every breed someone suggests isn't good with cats, there will be a DOLer with a story about how they own one of those breeds and it is lovely with cats.

So, on one level, it does depend on the individual dog (and the individual cat). But IMO breed does also come into it.

All other things being equal, a dog with big prey drive will be more likely to chase cats than a dog with little prey drive. Some breeds tend to have more prey drive than others. So if I had cats, and was looking to get a dog that would be good with them, I would pick a breed that tended to have a low prey drive.

Exactly - plenty of labs like cats. My lab x thinks cats serve only one purpose and that is to act as a chase toy. She will try to get around behind them to make em run. If ones in her yard its there to be chased, its taken 9 years and she is just under control when in harness and choke chain and use of the word left (ie turn left down the path) when she spots one of the 10 or so in the yard of the cat house in cat alley.

You cannot guarantee one particular breed or any particular animal will be fine with cats (its like saying what breed of cats is good with dogs) - have heard if they are introduced as puppies and trained correctly they dont learn to think of chases as chase toys.

It depends on the cat as much as the dog.

My Belgian will herd/chase cats and my Pointer will just lick them. The cat they both live with puts up with anything the dogs do to her.

My parents have a twenty year old Burmese male who won't put up with anything from my dogs, he has made my dogs scream many times and he chases the dogs. Both my dogs are scared of that cat :laugh:

From my experiences, Pointers are great with cats.

hehe - I had a Burmese cat named Anna and she was Definitely the Alpha of the pack - none of my dogs would mess with her :mad As long as they behaved themselves, and kept to their place, she was happy to snuggle up to them, and vice-versa. My pointer boy, Wings, loved all cats, ours or anyone else's, and they loved him. I really think though, as Staranais said, that any breed can be good with cats if they are brought up with them. I also found that my dogs (with the exception of Wings) would chase other people's cats.

Edited by poodlemum

One of my cats hates the dogs, the other one (she's just over a year old) will smooch up to the Pointers, she will run her face one the Pointers faces, while purring. :mad

Its a very cute sight.

Our small dog will wrestle with the one year old cat.

All three dogs, and the one year old cat, get along with my rabbits too. I can often have the rabbit running around the floor in my room, both Pointers asleep on my bed or lying on the floor waiting for the bunny to come closer so they can give her a lick, although one Pointer always licks the bunnies ears (like she does to the other dogs) I think she's trying to clean the bunny. :laugh:

Of course, if they saw a wild rabbit, someone elses rabbit or someone elses cat, its a free for all.

Edited by Pointees

I've always had dogs and cats together, all different sizes and breeds (Mixes). Have never encountered any major issues. I grew up with dogs and cats too, and there never seemed to be any real issues of them mixing together that I can recall..

We were rehomed a Ragdoll late last year that had lived with an Amstaff, iggys and other farm type dogs. They never had any problems either with them all.

This is him now with Joey .

loveleroy-1.jpg

and our other cat Karma with our Cavs.

TheZoo2-1.jpg

Edited by Jules♥Cavs

I have had both dogs first and cats first.

I found it easier to have the cat first and introduce a pup - that was me though

One of my cats will ignore the dogs, but if they get too close will bop them, the other 2 cats love the dogs and vice versa, the GSD will share his food with the cats and happily snuggle with them too

My only suggestion, is to have set rules and enforce them, ie not chasing the cats, no biting, nibbling, rough play etc

Such gorgeous pictures! :mad

I have a 6 year old male moggy, and he is definitely less than impressed with his new canine sister. My Lab puppy is almost 13 wks old and over the past couple of weeks she has decided that the cat would be nice to play with- he hisses and swats at her, she barks at him. Sigh. On some occasions, they ignore each other, but my cat is usually the instigator of bad behaviour. He hides and then swats her as she walks past.

The cat is inside only, and the puppy is outside during the day and inside at night, so at the moment I'm hoping for the cat to tolerate the puppy. :laugh:

Edited by lilli_star