Micro Chipping

Scouty

Have a quick question!

This is Victoria based, not sure if the rules are different between states.

When selling a pup, does the breeder must micro chip the pup ? yes?

Do you think the chip moves if the pup is done at say before 8 weeks and it is a big breed?

IMO i thought it should not matter as they scan pretty much the whole back of the dog and their arms aswell.

thanks

Scout

PS i have my own opinion on this, i just want to guage if if am on the right track. :confused:

I'm pretty sure only commercial breeders need to chip in Vic?

My GSD lost hers... It was done at 12 weeks old.. Was scanned regualry while attending puupy pre school and varies vet appt then I needed to change my details on the chip so it had to be scanned to be verified and whala, no chip... We scanned everywhere and it wasnt there..

My Great danes has also moved down past her shoulder. She was done at 6 weeks old....

We purchased our pup from a local breeder at 8 weeks and she was not chipped. In answer to your question, I am not sure if she should have been or not.

I took her to my vet the very next day, and despite being accused of being a bad doggy Mum, I had him chip her right then. They wanted to wait until I had her spayed (this is also what my breeder suggested to me), so they could do it while she was under. I wanted her to be chipped ready for puppy school. And didn't want to run the risk of her escaping and not being chipped... She let out a yelp but she was fine!

I can still feel hers, so I am pretty sure it hasn't moved too much!

We purchased our pup from a local breeder at 8 weeks and she was not chipped. In answer to your question, I am not sure if she should have been or not.

I took her to my vet the very next day, and despite being accused of being a bad doggy Mum, I had him chip her right then. They wanted to wait until I had her spayed (this is also what my breeder suggested to me), so they could do it while she was under. I wanted her to be chipped ready for puppy school. And didn't want to run the risk of her escaping and not being chipped... She let out a yelp but she was fine!

I can still feel hers, so I am pretty sure it hasn't moved too much!

Yes I am for the early micro chipping, I just wanted to see others experiences.

Kasper did not say boo when we got her done.

Thanks guys

Scout

My elderly dogs chip is now almost at her elbow.. it's migrated ALOT! I had no idea how much they could move until I went looking for it one day and was at how far down her shoulder it had moved

So if they move too far, do they redo it?

We had a pup in foster care (Poppy). She was chipped when speyed at around 5 months. A few months later, her carer noticed a "bump" on her front leg - sort of inner upper arm. We had her rechipped before rehoming - just in case.

Can do, I know a dog here with three chips.. All current and correct details though.

Just want to add: I'm almost certain that SA is now the only state that does not require microchipping before disposal of a dog, whether that is selling or giving away. WA has recently become a state requiring microchipping following others.. To the best of my knowledge; only SA is left.

Can do, I know a dog here with three chips.. All current and correct details though.

Just want to add: I'm almost certain that SA is now the only state that does not require microchipping before disposal of a dog, whether that is selling or giving away. WA has recently become a state requiring microchipping following others.. To the best of my knowledge; only SA is left.

As far as I know that has not come into effect as yet. I know it is in the pipeline, but not legislation at this stage.

As far as I know that has not come into effect as yet. I know it is in the pipeline, but not legislation at this stage.

WA is still in the pipelines, or SA is now in the pipelines?

WA is in the pipeline as far as I am aware :heart:

WA is in the pipeline as far as I am aware :heart:

Thanks for that. :angel:

I wonder if anyone knows exactly what states require microchiping + 1st vaccination Currently..

Hm.. might go see what I can google.

NSW Microchip + vacc to be able to sell or dispose of dog/ cat under 6 months all animals over 6 months are to be registered dogs and cats enforcement is a different matter falls under local council.

Qld now need to be chip before sale but this was not the case 2 years ago am not sure about Vac

Will be interested to see what state has what ruling

NSW Microchip + vacc to be able to sell or dispose of dog/ cat under 6 months all animals over 6 months are to be registered dogs and cats enforcement is a different matter falls under local council.

Qld now need to be chip before sale but this was not the case 2 years ago am not sure about Vac

Will be interested to see what state has what ruling

wat about Vic?

anyone know?

scout

As per the Dogs Victoria site...

Compulsory Microchipping requirements

Members are reminded that they are not required to microchip puppies under 12 weeks of age unless they operate a Domestic Animal Business. Under Section 12A of the Domestic Animals Act:

•if you operate a Domestic Animal Business you are required to microchip puppies before they leave the premises.

• if you do NOT operate a Domestic Animal Business (ie, have less than 10 fertile bitches) you must register all puppies with the Council and microchip them if they are 12 weeks of age or older, but if they are less than 12 weeks of age this becomes the responsibility of the purchaser.

Hope this answers you question regarding the microchipping requirement.