Boarding Kennels/pet Sitters/?

huski

Hi everyone

We've always boarded our dogs at kennels when we went away and I've never really loved doing it.

Now we don't vaccinate our dogs every year and prefer to titre, boarding them at kennels has become a bit difficult. We are going away for ten days over Christmas and will need to do something with the dogs.

I really don't want to vaccinate them simply because I have no other choice, and someone recommended we get a pet sitter. I am a bit nervous about pet sitting as I honestly know nothing about it and can't stop thinking about (probably unrealistic) risks i.e. what if they left the front door open? My dogs can be escape artists. What if they tried to walk them (Micha can be DA so I would prefer they didn't). etc. On the whole I prefer the idea of my animals being kept together at home than being sent to a boarding kennel, especially after the last time where they let my DA dog run with others despite VERY clear instructions from me not to :laugh:

So I guess I really just wanted to see what suggestions you all had, if you don't go the boarding kennel route, what have your experiences been? Good/bad/otherwise?

My vet signed a certificate that said their next vaccinations were due in 2012 and the boarding kennel has no issues with this? My advice is to find a vet that agrees with a 3 year protocol (with the annual vaccine and not the 3 year one) and go from there.

I am too wary to let someone look after my dgos in my home - what if they don't close the door properly etc? I feel much more secure that they go to a kennel that I know and trust.

My vet signed a certificate that said their next vaccinations were due in 2012 and the boarding kennel has no issues with this? My advice is to find a vet that agrees with a 3 year protocol (with the annual vaccine and not the 3 year one) and go from there.

Yeah our vet will do that for us, but the boarding kennel wants them to have proof that they have had a C5? Will talk to the vet about it anyway.

I am too wary to let someone look after my dgos in my home - what if they don't close the door properly etc? I feel much more secure that they go to a kennel that I know and trust.

Yep that's why I get worried about pet sitting but I also get worried about boarding kennels running my DA dog with others, or not exercising him because he can be DA (which I am very clear about), having to change the dog's diets (they are fed raw) etc.

There are a couple of registered organisations that do house/pet sitting. A friend of mine got one in and seemed to be a good choice.

I know my folks were looking at it at one point as I was not sure if I could house sit for them when they went to Canada. Anyway, from memory, the two main ones, the housesitter paid a registration fee and they recommended people, the other company, the housesitee paid the fee to the organisation.

If you do get a pet sitter, make sure they are experienced with looking after 4+ animals at one time and that you like them. Ask around at work etc. Word of mouth is great, which is how I get most of my business, that way you know someone is good. In regards to been worried about gates being left open, I triple check everything, so make sure they (petsitter) has ocd about checking things. :o

Thanks for the feedback guys.

At this stage it looks like we are going to have a family friend come and look after the little animals (Cherry and Shandi) and Mish and Daisy will probably be boarded, as much as I hate doing so, I do feel more secure about it.

AD I will give Brisbane Pet Motel a call!

Yeah our vet will do that for us, but the boarding kennel wants them to have proof that they have had a C5? Will talk to the vet about it anyway.

Yeah, you can titre for all of the components of the C3, but don't think you can yet titre reliably for either parainfluenza & bordetella? Most boarding kennels make you redo these two vaccinations yearly, and I can't say for sure they're wrong either (unlike the ones that try to demand an annual C3).

I always hated boarding my DA dog too, I hope you can find somewhere suitable for him.

Yeah, you can titre for all of the components of the C3, but don't think you can yet titre reliably for either parainfluenza & bordetella? Most boarding kennels make you redo these two vaccinations yearly, and I can't say for sure they're wrong either (unlike the ones that try to demand an annual C3).

I always hated boarding my DA dog too, I hope you can find somewhere suitable for him.

Yeah it's tricky, SA, I just don't trust the kennel after our last experience. I mean running him with other dogs then basically telling me off when I called them to check up on the dogs because "Micha is not good with other dogs"... WTF :D I couldn't have been more clear that he should only ever be kept with and run with Daisy and why. I dread to think what did/could have happened. Mish is not seriously DA, but he is not good with dogs he doesn't know, I hate to think he scared another dog or got in a fight or something happened that set his training back.

If a DA dog was run with Daisy I would be FURIOUS. So I worry about that too, because I've had a few kennels tell they put multiple dogs in pens together, and I don't like my dogs run with dogs I don't know. And then I worry that Mish will not get any exercise. I am a worrier :o I guess this is why I don't go away often :rofl:

I use a dog sitter all the time and it works out well. My dogs esp the oldies wouldn’t handle a kennel well and this way they can stay in the comforts of their own home. It is all about finding the right person and also about how your home is set up. My house is set up so that even if one gate/door is accidentally left open they still have to get through another before they can get out. I have always found my person through word of mouth, vet nurses are excellent.

I

It may take time for many of the boarding kennels to catch up with the new system. However if you check around many of the smaller kennels will be more sympathetic and understanding. If the AVA and the State Kennel Associations says the 3 year system is acceptable then boarding kennels should follow suit. However if you don't ask they will never alter their policies.

Boarding kennels are probably the best choice when you go away unless you have a reliable friend (who knows your dog) and can stay at your home. If you trust your Kennel then you trust they will monitor your dog properly. Most petsitting services or friendly neighbour will visit once a day and feed your dog and check the water. However this does not allow for the many things that can happen for the rest of the day: Let me give some examples of things that have happened in real life to some of the clients I have.

1. thunderstorm frightens the dog and/or dog runs away.

2. dog bitten by a snake

3. tree falls on fence dog gets out

4. house broken into and dog hit by burglers

Some things that have occurred in my kennel that I have had to deal with

(note: all of these would have happened if the dog had stayed at home but perhaps not noticed in time to help)

1. dog came to kennel, still eating but wasn't pooing - we kept an eye on her and after a couple of days we took to the vet and she ended up on a drip and given treatment to dislodge a blockage in the bowel.

2. bitch staying with me for 4 weeks turned out to be pregnant (unknown to owners) and gave birth to 3 pups before the parents came home from holidays - Bitch needed assistance and first pup very large was delivered with my help but stillborn.

3. older dog appeared a bit sleepy, ended up she had had a stroke, so was moved into our home until she was stable.

4. diabetic dog needing daily injections owner had to go away and needed someone reliable.

Developing a good relationship with your kennel is as important as having a good relationship with your vet.

Thanks for all the feedback guys!

I am still not feeling happy about boarding them. With pet sitting, how many people have had a live in pet sitter? So someone who actually stays at your house for the time you are away?

I have always used an in-house dog sitter. But not one of those franchise types so I can't comment on those sorts. My dog stitters have always been other dog people, who understand the situation I'm leaving them from their own experience with handling multiple dogs in their own house over many years.

Never leave your dogs with friends is my advice - if it goes bad you lose your dog and your friend.

I do petsitting but unfortunately am already booked over christmas, if you can get a doggie person that you know and trust it could be the best way, I have had my dogs pet sat in the past and never had any problems and also gone the boarding kennel route, dogs were not so happy but they were safely looked after.