Can't Get Weight On Greyhound

Kirty

I agree with this post. A friend of mine has a couple of GH and they were fed copious amounts of dry food and never managed to put on any weight. Their diet was changed to a raw diet which consists of raw (pet) chicken mince, chicken necks & chicken frames and they have since put on the weight and how. Most dry foods tend to go straight through some dogs due to its high grain content and given that we are talking 'dogs' and not cows, I guess I know which diet is most suitable, lol.

nope, didn't work here when my greys were on all raw. Chicken didn't agree with one, red meat didn't agree with another. So it was half and half for a while, with a lot of mucking around, now we are all dry, have been for a few weeks and one has put on weight and the others are getting there. The diet that is most suitable is the one the dogs do well on.

Agree

I found porridge with fatty mince, lamb flaps and chicken necks always worked a treat for the greys and other hounds too.

I agree with this post. A friend of mine has a couple of GH and they were fed copious amounts of dry food and never managed to put on any weight. Their diet was changed to a raw diet which consists of raw (pet) chicken mince, chicken necks & chicken frames and they have since put on the weight and how. Most dry foods tend to go straight through some dogs due to its high grain content and given that we are talking 'dogs' and not cows, I guess I know which diet is most suitable, lol.

nope, didn't work here when my greys were on all raw. Chicken didn't agree with one, red meat didn't agree with another. So it was half and half for a while, with a lot of mucking around, now we are all dry, have been for a few weeks and one has put on weight and the others are getting there. The diet that is most suitable is the one the dogs do well on.

Rebanne dont you feed any meat??

Agree

While I strongly believe that meat-based works best, this is based on my experiences, my dogs and ultimately, my opinion- Generally speaking, I think it's worthwhile to try a number of things and see what the dog/s responds best to.

My guys get meat and kibble. The race girls get 500g semi lean beef mince and 1 cup kibble. The show girls get 600-800g fattier puppy beef mince and 2 cups kibble. Their metabolism is heaps different to the race girls and they look like walking bone bags if they were fed as little as the race girls. The race ones are also both hypothyroid. One is fat, the other skinny. In summer the fat race girl gets a very lean beef mince but she lost 3kg in only a few weeks as soon as the cold weather hit (and she had 3 coats on) so had to increase the fat content. Increasing the amount of kibble made no difference.

I have found Proplan kibbles the best for keeping the weight on the skinny ones, especially the salmon for sensitive skin and the performance mix. Royal Canin was interesting. I could just about watch the weight falling off them before my eyes when they got the small bite junior ( not sure the exact name) but the junior for large breeds in the purple pack was good.

Thank you all so much for all the ideas. She was raised on Supercoat with the puppy raisers and did OK on this, but as she grew, it seemed to upset her tummy. So I switched to Bonnie (which I have always had good results with) and the runs stopped but she is still skinny. I will stick with the Hills and try adding a lot more raw meat. Thanks again. :thumbsup:

NOt sure if someone may have already said this - but have you tried uncle albers/great barko?

Royal Canin also do a performance line which is very good (i used it to get my GSD's back into condition when they lost it badley on barf/raw)...i think they were like 4300 and 4800? or something along those lines - i know places can still order it in but i'm not sure how common it is as a general stock line these days.

Edited by KitKat

Bit of both. They get a few chicken frames and a big bone once a week already, but I'm going to cut out some dryfood and add some mince. I know mince isn't ideal, but its better than nothing and as long as they also get bones, I think its OK.

Rebanne dont you feed any meat??

not now, they get marrow bones a couple of times a week but I am trying just dry food for now and so far it's good. I decided it was only fair to cut out all extra's and see if all these claims are anywhere near true :o