Anyone Seen This Before?

k9angel

When I was taking some pics yesterday I got one of Luki which is really weird. Well to me it is as I have never seen a dogs eyes reflect yellow in a photo before. I have seen red, green and blue but never yellow. ???

I knew he was special and I have heard of the sun shining out of ones ar@e before, but never their eye :laugh:

4887087360_7638850d1c_z.jpg

That is bizarre! And Luki looks so big!!!!!

He's nearly 8 mths old and yes he is getting bigger and bigger. He is taller than my resident huskies now. :laugh: Poor Jasmine (who is border x collie kelpie) looks like a midget next to him now. She towered over him before. :o

Love the photo!!

Reason dog's and other animals eye's glow is:

Dogs', cats', horses' and cows' eyes glow when you shine a light on them because of a reflective layer of tissue at the back of the eye called the tapetum lucidum which is latin for Bright Carpet. The purpose of this layer is to help animals that come out at night, like dogs and cats, to see better at night. It works by acting as a mirror which reflects light hitting the back of the eye-ball back onto the light-sensitive part of the eye called the retina, giving the eye a second chance to pick up as much information from the light as possible. Some of the light reflected back in this way comes back out of the front of the eye causing the glowing effect that you see when you shine a bright light at your pet. During the daytime there's already too much light around to notice the effect. Humans don't have this reflective layer at the back of the eye and so when a bright light hits our eyes - like a camera flash - you often see people with 'red eyes' which is the camera flash lighting up the blood vessels at the back of the eye.

THIS web page has some good photos of blue eyed dogs and cats with different coloured eyes.