Suprelorin Implant

Whipitgood

Am i allowed to use the Suprelorin Implant for a dog that is shown? Can anyone give me their experiences with it? I am considering using the 12mth implant for one of my boys but still want to show him and possibly use him over my girls at a later date.

Don't know what the regulations are on this - it was discussed some time ago on dol.

But it will make your dogs testicles disappear - so he won't be able to be shown, there are some cases of increased aggression in males and it doesn't affect long term fertility - wears off about 3 months after the 12 month implant - so about 15 months all up.

Don't know what the regulations are on this - it was discussed some time ago on dol.

But it will make your dogs testicles disappear - so he won't be able to be shown, there are some cases of increased aggression in males and it doesn't affect long term fertility - wears off about 3 months after the 12 month implant - so about 15 months all up.

Thanks Bisart. Ive heard it shrinks their testicles but not makes them disappear - im sure they must have something left to show with? :o:laugh:

I dont want it as a long term solution so its good people have found it wears off well. Ive not heard about increased agression but that is definately a concern.

ETA - just did a search and found loads of info on it!

But im still curious to know just how much it shrinks their testicles and whether they can be shown with such?

Edited by Whipitgood

My dog definitly lost normal testicles as did my friends dog and it took a lot longer to wear off than told initially. Also, I do know of one proven stud dog who still didn't have fertile sperm back after 3 years, even though his testes appeared normal.

I have an email on my old PC from DOGS VIC CEO Elizabeth White telling me it is ok to show a dog with the implant.

As there is no ANKC or State regulation on this.

It was put on the agenda for the 2009 AGM, nothing ever came of it.

Some dogs testicles shrink others do not, that would be up to the judge on the day.

With that said some dogs have big ones others small and that's without an implant.

I found my dog put on a lot of weight whilst on it, around 8kg.

His testicles shrunk, but not a huge amount, They did go very soft like marshmellows thou.

He has been successfully collected since, 6month implant took 12 months to wear off.

I have had two toy size dogs that have had the implant. The first boy had it due to agression issues as I wanted to take the edge off and it did that. His implant was for 12 months and it lasted just over that. He had resonable size testies to start with and they decreased in size and were soft. Towards the end of the 12 months he started to become his old self so I knew it was wearing off. I decided to get him desexed after this as I found the more clam boy easier to live with. Unfotunately he died 5 weeks to the day after being desexed :thumbsup:

The second boy was done with a 6 month one but it lasted 18 months. He has recently sired a healthy litter of all boys. His testies shrank away to nearly nothing (he didn't have very big ones to start with.) He also put on weight which he has now dropped and got his personality back. With both dogs I found they lost "who they were" so to speak. They became very non plussed about most things almost like sedadated.

Would I do it again. Probably not. I think I would much prefer to put the sperm on ice and desex the boy instead.

it is very interesting to hear these stories, as I have considered desexing for my boy because he always has girl's on the brain and he marks his territory on everything making training very difficult. I just don't have the heart to desex him because he produces gorgeous puppies, with great temprements. maybe I could try the implant and see what affect it has on him. :thumbsup:

:rofl:

Blimey what with no nuts and gaining 8kg a whippet sounds like it would do really well in the ring after the implant!! :thumbsup:

Sounds like its all a bit hit and miss with the testicles and temperament. Might not be worth the risk seeing as ive only just got him back in the ring after 6months off with an injury.

:confused:

Blimey what with no nuts and gaining 8kg a whippet sounds like it would do really well in the ring after the implant!! :confused:

Sounds like its all a bit hit and miss with the testicles and temperament. Might not be worth the risk seeing as ive only just got him back in the ring after 6months off with an injury.

Toooo funny - the mind boggles.