Why Don't People Listen?

Kavik

You don't have to follow Cesar Millans methods, after all dogs were being successfully trained before he came along. Just trying to help by giving you that example.

We have no control over other people or their dogs and so just have to do what gets results with our own dogs - you try a method and if it doesn't suit your dog or get results after giving it a good try, you move on. Keeping an open mind and actually trying to 'fix' unwanted behaviours is IMO what puts the majority of Dolers ahead of the uninformed dog owners out there that we all meet occasionally.... but I can say that a dog that is exhibiting aggressive behaviour will get very little sympathy from the general public and councils, etc.

The point is that you have a goal in your mind that you personally want to achieve - in your case, what is it???

Is having to stop your walk and sit your dog every time you meet another dog your goal??? If so you have achieved it.

The part I don't understand is why are other dog owners even keen to risk it? I take my boy to off-leash parks all the time, and he's very good, staying close and doing as he's told. But each time we come across another dog, I watch the owner carefully. If they seem fine, I'm fine and I just the dogs introduce themselves. But if upon seeing another dog they quickly leash up their own, whether it's because their dogs are aggressive or they're scared of my dog because he's big and a doberman doesn't matter to me, I call him to me and put his leash on. I don't really see the need to challenge them on it or find out first hand why they don't want their dog near mine. And if someone yelled at me to get my dog away, well, why wouldn't you :s Just doesn't make any sense to me...

Honestly I have left it too late for my original goal which was to compete with Zoe.

My modified goal is to be able to walk her and go past another dog without her reacting. I don't expect her to be able to meet another dog. Zoe turns 11 later this year, she is not a young dog. She has improved a LOT since I started the click to calm technique. Sometimes I am able to walk past another dog (had to do it earlier in the walk yesterday no problems, the other dog owner was talking to someone and was stationary so the only way to pass them).

I prefer to stop as it allows me to do more training at the time. I can stop and set her up in a good location, relax, give her time to relax and to see the other dog coming and choose to look back at me multiple times before the dog passes us. This gives me more time to reward her rather than worrying about moving and juggling everything and worrying about where the other dog is all at the same time.

I make sure that we are far enough away that (usually) I don't have to worry about the other dog coming to visit. I didn't think this dog would come over as it was just ambling along the footpath ahead of its owner. It didn't look excited. If I thought it would come over, I would have gone around the corner and several more metres away so I wouldn't have to deal with it. My aim is to ensure that Zoe is not put in a situation where she feels she has to react, which means that if necessary and possible I cross the road or go into a driveway.

I am totally with you Kavik as i am doing the same and seeing the same good results as you. When i see another dog coming i give us some space get my dogs attention and start playing the you get a click and a treat for looking at the other dog and no attention at all for grumping at it. (its kinda like free shaping)

I have tried powering past before even running past but it doesnt teach him anything and he still manages to get a grump in as we pass.

I sometimes sit on a bench (slightly away from the path) and let the other dogs parade past and play the click game this works really well but off lead dogs can be a problem and yes I have shouted at a few stupid owners in the past as well.

Keep up the good work :thumbsup:

I have to agree with Poodlefan, the exercise should be done walking at heel not in a sit position.

As an end goal, yes. The exercise involves numerous criteria and requires the dog to multi-task i.e.

- walk towards another dog, more or less head on

- offer your behaviour (i.e. glance at dog, look back at owner, or make continuous eye contact with owner, whatever you train for)

- maintain a loose lead

- etc.

A step towards that goal is stopping (not necessarily sitting) and just concentrating on the desired behaviour - helpful for both the handler and the dog.

I have days where I can walk Cash past another dog on the street and he gets it all right. Other days I feel he won't handle a certain dog approaching so I simply stop and let him concentrate on offering the correct behaviour.

I don't however cue a sit - I let the dog offer me whatever position he feels most comfortable in. A high reward history for sitting means often I get sits - but sometimes he will stand if he is feeling particularly anxious.

I sympathise too having a reactive dog as well. We came across a dog off lead last week who appeared from behind bushes and headed straight for us before we could get away. It set my dog off and this dog then proceeded to lunge and snap at him. Owner eventually showed up and rather than take her dog away, she wrapped her arms around her dog and cooed in his ear saying "don't worry, darling, about that grumpy dog". Unfortunately for her, my dog was not the only one grumpy by then! It really set us back with the training that we have been doing with a trainer for the last 6 months. So frustrating!