What's My Next Move?

Kirislin

A few months ago I noticed a neighbours dogs on my property. They were on my bottom boundary, just across from their own fence playing around my dam and just generally fossicking around and having fun. A few days after that I saw them again and then another few days after that I saw one of them chasing the kangaroos on my paddock. That's when I went down and tried to speak to the neighbours.

I've never spoken to them before, I dont even know their names. A young bloke came out and I told him what happened. the conversation was a friendly one and he said they'd fix the fence.

I hadn't noticed the dogs on my place since then, until yesterday. Just the one dog but it came up to my house boundary fence and started barking at me in a threatening manner, as if it thought I was trespassing. I got my stock whip and cracked it a few times and the dog took off. Today I went down there and knocked on the door. Although there were 2 cars there no one answered. I left a note asking them to ring me but not saying why. No one has called yet.

What do the wise DOLers suggest I do next?

Since I dont feel like driving down there, (too far too dark and too cold to walk) I thought I might write them a note telling them of the problem and asking them to stop their dogs roaming on to my property. Should I be telling them I will report the dogs to the council, or still be giving them another chance? I dont want to make enemies but I dont want the dogs coming here.

A few months ago I noticed a neighbours dogs on my property. They were on my bottom boundary, just across from their own fence playing around my dam and just generally fossicking around and having fun. A few days after that I saw them again and then another few days after that I saw one of them chasing the kangaroos on my paddock. That's when I went down and tried to speak to the neighbours.

I've never spoken to them before, I dont even know their names. A young bloke came out and I told him what happened. the conversation was a friendly one and he said they'd fix the fence.

I hadn't noticed the dogs on my place since then, until yesterday. Just the one dog but it came up to my house boundary fence and started barking at me in a threatening manner, as if it thought I was trespassing. I got my stock whip and cracked it a few times and the dog took off. Today I went down there and knocked on the door. Although there were 2 cars there no one answered. I left a note asking them to ring me but not saying why. No one has called yet.

What do the wise DOLers suggest I do next?

Since I dont feel like driving down there, (too far too dark and too cold to walk) I thought I might write them a note telling them of the problem and asking them to stop their dogs roaming on to my property. Should I be telling them I will report the dogs to the council, or still be giving them another chance? I dont want to make enemies but I dont want the dogs coming here.

Are you able to run an electric fence wire or 2 along the shared boundary with your neighbour ? That would keep them out. I know it's an expense for you but better than relying on the neighbour. I know it's not your responsibility but at least it would fix the problem without causing more potential problems with the neighbours and everyone can move on.

Are they new in the area?

Id be giving them the heads up on how things are in rural settings....If dogs get out and cause a problem around these parts , the owner is given the heads up, and time to rectify the issues, if the problem persists the dogs are shot! Its that simple....Farmers will not tolerate dogs on their land, Id be warning them of this...

Are they new in the area?

Id be giving them the heads up on how things are in rural settings....If dogs get out and cause a problem around these parts , the owner is given the heads up, and time to rectify the issues, if the problem persists the dogs are shot! Its that simple....Farmers will not tolerate dogs on their land, Id be warning them of this...

My thoughts exactly. :)

Are you able to run an electric fence wire or 2 along the shared boundary with your neighbour ? That would keep them out. I know it's an expense for you but better than relying on the neighbour. I know it's not your responsibility but at least it would fix the problem without causing more potential problems with the neighbours and everyone can move on.

We primarily put in the electric fence to keep our dog in. The Wei, that was.

BUT we soon realised just how many dogs it was keeping out.

The first week or so we were woken on numerous occasions by noises made by dogs getting zapped.

They stay away from it these days - but I know when they are around because Kaisie barks at them through the night.

The fellows down the road had a Rottie - it took full power to keep him out. But he was an OK dog really. Just stooopid. :)

I would drop in again tomorrow maybe, they could of been unwell or asleep for some reason (My hubby does not answer the phone, knocking on the door or anything when he is sleeping after a late night or shift work)

If they do not speak to you then leave them a note asking them to keep their dogs home and if they don't you will have to notify the ranger although you would prefer to not have to go that far.

I would drop in again tomorrow maybe, they could of been unwell or asleep for some reason (My hubby does not answer the phone, knocking on the door or anything when he is sleeping after a late night or shift work)

If they do not speak to you then leave them a note asking them to keep their dogs home and if they don't you will have to notify the ranger although you would prefer to not have to go that far.

:confused: this is exactly what I'd decided when I didn't hear from them. I'll put the note in their front door this time instead of their letter box and it will be along the lines of what you've suggested. great minds..

Well my neighbour just rang back. she said the dog is supposed to be on a chain when they're not at home and her son didn't do it. I told her the dog came up to my boundary fence and was barking in a threatening manner towards me. She said let her know if it happens again and they will have her put down!!! :eek: I thought that was a bit drastic but she might be trying to make me feel guilty, I decided to not give an opinion on it.

Hopefully they will make more efforts to keep her in from now on. I'd say the poor dog is pretty bored and she can see my big inviting paddock just over the fence, no wonder she comes over here.

They will have her put down because they can't get their crap together!!! Unbelievable.

I agree though they may have being trying to evoke an emotional response from you. Either way don't let that sway you.

Glad they have called back. I wonder what she is like with other dogs??? If she may have a go at your dogs then that could be another worry if she comes over again.

If the dog is out chasing roos, in all likelihood it will be shot/run over/eat a bait, anyway..dogs like that usually don't last long :eek: I feel sorry for the roos etc .. it's not fair .

Everyone here knows that dogs found out of their own patch are called first .. if they don't/won't come .. then they are shot. Makes everyone take care to not let dogs wander.

They will have her put down because they can't get their crap together!!! Unbelievable.

I agree though they may have being trying to evoke an emotional response from you. Either way don't let that sway you.

Glad they have called back. I wonder what she is like with other dogs??? If she may have a go at your dogs then that could be another worry if she comes over again.

It was my dogs who alerted me to her in the first place, they were going psycho at the fence. I think they'd stay in and I doubt she'd jump over into my yard. She might be a bit nervous after I cracked the whip anyway, she took off like a scalded cat when I did it.

I hate that she chases the roos, I've hardly seen them since she did that. There's so many houses here now and not much grazing areas for them. I used to love that they'd come here. :eek: I doubt wandering dogs could be shot here, it's too built up now.