Dslr Cameras

Sankari

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats! +1 on not buying any more lenses until you have a chance to use these and get a feel for your equipment and your needs.

Remember, you're going to have a lot of crappy frames as you learn and that's a good thing. We often don't learn from good results, but the poor results help us move forward in leaps and bounds.

Shoot til your fingers bleed.

And if you don't have proper editing software, get some. Not only do you really need it because you do want to be shooting RAW imho (why on earth would you throw away data that you didn't need to toss and that you never know you might need later??) but it will simply be easier to quickly sort, tweak, resize for your output (web, print etc) and organize. My personal preference is Lightroom but there is a perfectly good editing program that will come with your Canon - DPP - and it does a very nice job with those tweaking things, I know lots of togs who prefer the way DPP handles some editing over any other program.

RAW and manual are not scary and they are not hard. Not sure you are going to use RAW? Shoot RAW+jpeg - at least you have the images in their biggest, most detail rich form then. It's still my biggest regret when I switched to cameras with RAW - I was nervous about the "extra" processing and stuff. Turns out I screwed myself over - what I wouldn't give to have some of that extra goodness in a few frames that turned out to be important to me!

And, most importantly, have fun!

Guest belgian.blue

OOOOOOO I'm excited!!!

Checked my bank account this morning and the money has come in, I'm off to collect my 55OD :scared::scold:

I slept like a 5 year old on Christmas Eve last night so I must have known I was getting it today hehe.

off to the city to get my camera ..

OOOOOOO I'm excited!!!

Checked my bank account this morning and the money has come in, I'm off to collect my 55OD :scared::scold:

I slept like a 5 year old on Christmas Eve last night so I must have known I was getting it today hehe.

I sooooo know that feeling. :rofl:

Lucky you!! oh bring on Wednesday for me!!

Thanks for all that info KJA. That is extremely helpful. Lightroom sounds good. I've never used any photo editing software so hope I can work it out easily.

I just use zoom browser and DPP that come with your Canon. Try them before you go shelling out more money on editing programs. You might find they're enough.

In the mail tray at work this morning was a box. I opened it and found ... a Canon 50D body. My lovely husband bought it for me for my birthday. I'm going to keep the 30D as a back up but am looking forward to trying the 50D's AF out on flying bird shots. Woo-hoo!

Great news that you picked out your camera LC :laugh:

You are really making me think I need to bite the bullet and just get one! I have tortured myself for years over the cost :laugh:

Am 39 in October....maybe I need to give myself an early 40th present :laugh:

:laugh: Rex.

Yes do invest in one. I couldnt believe the cost, but then i thought how often do i actually buy anything for myself. Everything I buy is for my animals or friends. I'm treating myself to something i've wanted for so long. I cant wait to get it and test it out! :laugh:

Guest belgian.blue

Had a little play with it and wow wow wow!!

Photographed the dogs eating bones and Ivy was posing for me. Started on auto but then got bored and went to manual [auto focus] and holy, this camera is good. Really easy to use aswell. I tend not to read the hand books so just played around to see what the buttons so and it's very easy to move around and change settings etc.

Extremely impressed and I've only had it for a couple of hours :laugh:

Can't upload any just yet as I'm picking up my new laptop soon so will just wait until that is set up.

Worth every cent and really, it wasn't that expensive! Nice to see the body is Made In Japan. Also much lighter than my Pentax :laugh:

I'm hooked on Canon hehe

eta - can't wait to change my siggy

Edited by belgian.blue

Guest belgian.blue
Great news that you picked out your camera LC :laugh:

You are really making me think I need to bite the bullet and just get one! I have tortured myself for years over the cost :laugh:

Am 39 in October....maybe I need to give myself an early 40th present :laugh:

Do it!!!

I was scared of the cost, but I did go all out and buy the 55OD and spent just under $17OO but the earlier models are still amazing. Maybe look for a secondhand one on Ebay? A lot of people are updating at the moment.

Glad you are so happy with it BB. Can anyone point to any sites etc that say which lenses are for which things to photograph so I know for later on. My mum wants to buy me a different lens for my birthday in October and i dont know what to ask for. I'll have the 50mm 1.8 and the 18-55mm IS kit that comes with the camera, but what else can i get her to get? She's really insistant on getting a lens!

Glad you are so happy with it BB. Can anyone point to any sites etc that say which lenses are for which things to photograph so I know for later on. My mum wants to buy me a different lens for my birthday in October and i dont know what to ask for. I'll have the 50mm 1.8 and the 18-55mm IS kit that comes with the camera, but what else can i get her to get? She's really insistant on getting a lens!

Maybe a zoom. 70-300 perhaps??

http://www.dwidigitalcameras.com.au/store/...p?idProduct=726

or the more pricey, less zoomy 70-200 L

http://www.dwidigitalcameras.com.au/store/...sp?idProduct=69

or perhaps a macro??? the extremely versatile 100mm

http://www.dwidigitalcameras.com.au/store/...sp?idProduct=30 cheaper now than my 2nd hand one I bought 2 years ago.

In the mail tray at work this morning was a box. I opened it and found ... a Canon 50D body. My lovely husband bought it for me for my birthday. I'm going to keep the 30D as a back up but am looking forward to trying the 50D's AF out on flying bird shots. Woo-hoo!

Was it a surprise?? What a wonderful hubby, that should earn him lots and lots of man credits. ;)

Happy Birthday to you too.

Was it a surprise?? What a wonderful hubby, that should earn him lots and lots of man credits. ;)

Happy Birthday to you too.

Aw, thanks kirislin. I'm doing bugger all today at work because nobody is here today and well, I have bugger all to do. Battery is on charge and then I'll play around with it. It was kind of a surprise. I was considering a second hand 1D Mark II but it would have been way too heavy with the telephoto lens attached for me to hand hold (I hate using tripods unless I have to), so asked hubby for the 50D instead. He got it for a good price I think, from Cameras Direct.

OOOOOOO I'm excited!!!

Checked my bank account this morning and the money has come in, I'm off to collect my 55OD ;) :D

I remember that feeling so well

to see the kinds of things that people shoot with particular lenses, go to the lens archive on POTN - beware, many an hour and many a dollar have been lost after looking there.

MOST importantly before you go trawling is deciding what YOU like to shoot and what is your current lens line-up not giving you. That will help you narrow the field down otherwise it's totally impossible and you'll just get another lens for the hell of it and you might hate it/not use it.

One can shoot pretty much anything with any lens and the more you gain confidence and knowledge about your gear, the more you will try new things and push the boundaries of what you originally bought the lens for. Of course, some lenses are better for particular things, but never let yourself be limited to what people say you have to shoot!

I get to pick up mine on Tuesday :champagne: Dispite everyones Blah reviews I got a Nikon D3000 I have done alot of work on Nikons and LOVE them just never owned one of my own and after talking to a number of people involved in photography I decided a Nikon was the best way to go and I got a really nice deal on the D3000 :champagne: Can't wait to get it :champagne: :champagne: veeeeeerrrry jealous of all you with your cameras right now