Don Burke Just Accused Rspca Of Cruelty

Bow Wow

Sorry to bump up this old thread, but can someone explain to me (with a PM if they would like) the history behind why DB supports the DD's and puppy farms and why he spends so much time opposing the purebreed dog world? TIA.

Not sure if he was originally against purebreds as such. In his show he started out "Road Testing" a different purebred each week and that was an interesting segment where he went to Breeders and got credible information about their breeds. After a time he jumped on the "DD" bandwagon. Who knows maybe after he ran out of 'popular breeds' he came across a purebred Breeder with less than 'ideal' conditions and then went to see a "DD" breeder who did it 'nicely', with better facilities and cute puppies??? All I know is he did alot to 'push' the idea of "DD" as being healthier and made them 'trendy' to boot.

Interestingly enough I recently read a book on breeding purebred dogs and they talk of "line'breeding' and "breeding to type" (line breeding by default) and "out-crossing". It suggested that a "Hybrid-vigour" could possibly be achieved by careful outcrossing. It even mentioned "cross-breeding" as being the breeding of two distintly different breeds so as to explain the differences.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to bump up this old thread, but can someone explain to me (with a PM if they would like) the history behind why DB supports the DD's and puppy farms and why he spends so much time opposing the purebreed dog world? TIA.

Don was doing road tests and he was sometimes not portraying them the way the ANKC would have preferred so DOGS NSW employed a PR firm to try to work out how they could discredit him etc.

Someone leaked the report and that made him take the gloves right off.

He went on TV to tell everyone what they had done and from then on he has been pretty intent on promoting cross breeding.Back then he offered money to anyone who would set up an opposing registry too.

All of this should be available somewhere on the net - it was no secret. and I cant remember how but I did actually read the PR report - I get the feeling he published it in a magazine but I could be wrong - its a long time ago.

However, I have to be fair about this after speaking with him - or rather after having been spoken at by him :( I do think he is sincere and he believes what he says. I have no doubt that if he was getting stuck in about the health of purebred dogs with the RSPCA that he does think that is what needs to be done - its not all about payback or publicity though some may be.

However, I have to be fair about this after speaking with him - or rather after having been spoken at by him :) I do think he is sincere and he believes what he says. I have no doubt that if he was getting stuck in about the health of purebred dogs with the RSPCA that he does think that is what needs to be done - its not all about payback or publicity though some may be.

Just about sums the person up though, doesn't it.

Unfortunately people, who don't know what he is like 'off camera' (just ask people who had to or still work with him)......still listen to him and accept his advice as knowledgeable. :)

He is supposedly a Horticulturist, yet can't even get gardening tips correct...so when did he become a dog expert, especially on intricate points of breeding? :eek:

I have to say that this is my frustration with many "experts" who want to decide what the best thing is for us to do with our breeding programs.

I sat at a roundtable in Canberra and discussed ways of ensuring puppy farmers would be wiped out, I sat in a seminar at Monash Uni and heard all about how we should breed better dogs, I watch as new legislation is rolled in via every state etc etc etc etc etc etc and its clear to me that very few [if any] of the people involved in making these comments and decisions have ever bred a puppy or have any real idea of what we do when we profile a pedigree or set our goals for our breeding program.Let alone canine reproductive cycles and breeding animal care.

Certainly there is nothing to suggest that we should see dogs as a separate species to humans in a lot of areas and ignorant human judgements are stamped all over laws and regs which govern how we manage the actual husbandry.

Canine Councils these days have lots of people in directors roles who know heaps about show rings but little else and they snuggle up with welfare orgs to play politics. All of them seen to be "experts". All of them with their own agendas and if they do know anything about what is really best for the future of our dogs they "forget" that to strutt their stuff and feather their own nests - God help us.

Since when did professors of Canine behaviour who have never bred a litter become experts at canine genetics?

Since when did gardeners who have never bred a litter become experts at Canine husbandry?

Since when did members Canine Welfare orgs and Quasi police forces who have never bred a litter become experts on what is best for our breeding dogs?

Since when does a government being advised by animal rights loons who have never bred a litter interfer in breeding programs of any species and make the people who breed them crimminals?

why do we let them get away with this stuff?

Don Burke is just one of many and it saddens me that dog breeders have become pussies and too frightened ,too ignorant or too,complacent to fight back.

Steve, many have tried over the years to "fight back" and is is evidenced, not even the RSPCA is immune to Burke's drivel.

All I can say is that if you can do better than those who have tried....be our guest. Look forward to seeing the results.

I have to say that this is my frustration with many "experts" who want to decide what the best thing is for us to do with our breeding programs.

I sat at a roundtable in Canberra and discussed ways of ensuring puppy farmers would be wiped out, I sat in a seminar at Monash Uni and heard all about how we should breed better dogs, I watch as new legislation is rolled in via every state etc etc etc etc etc etc and its clear to me that very few [if any] of the people involved in making these comments and decisions have ever bred a puppy or have any real idea of what we do when we profile a pedigree or set our goals for our breeding program.Let alone canine reproductive cycles and breeding animal care.

Certainly there is nothing to suggest that we should see dogs as a separate species to humans in a lot of areas and ignorant human judgements are stamped all over laws and regs which govern how we manage the actual husbandry.

Canine Councils these days have lots of people in directors roles who know heaps about show rings but little else and they snuggle up with welfare orgs to play politics. All of them seen to be "experts". All of them with their own agendas and if they do know anything about what is really best for the future of our dogs they "forget" that to strutt their stuff and feather their own nests - God help us.

Since when did professors of Canine behaviour who have never bred a litter become experts at canine genetics?

Since when did gardeners who have never bred a litter become experts at Canine husbandry?

Since when did members Canine Welfare orgs and Quasi police forces who have never bred a litter become experts on what is best for our breeding dogs?

Since when does a government being advised by animal rights loons who have never bred a litter interfer in breeding programs of any species and make the people who breed them crimminals?

why do we let them get away with this stuff?

Don Burke is just one of many and it saddens me that dog breeders have become pussies and too frightened ,too ignorant or too,complacent to fight back.

Steve your post is excellent and I believe every word of it.

I honestly believe that until we have a United Dog World this intrusion of our Dog World will continue.

I believe that until we have a powerful United Dog World fighting for us and on our behalf we are doomed.

We hear of the infiltration of Animal Rights Liberationists, from what one hears from the some of the individual State Bodies one would think this has not already happened in some cases.

I have no idea how we can fight this when we have little or no support from the controlling bodies in some states. These State Bodies should be the bastion of the dog world united or not.

Until we have Dog People fighting for the rights of Dog People, not people appointed for their business prowess or for some other reason we haven't got a chance in hades

One can only repeat United we stand Divided we fall.

Edited by oakway

Jacqui, I think you have a point, Some breeds are taken to the extreme, by a some breeders. Ultimately it is up to the judges of a particular breed as to the direction that the breed willl tend to go in.

Snoring doesn't necessarily mean a dog can't breathe- my labrador is a terrible snorer but appears to have no problems breathing even when she runs around like a mad thing.

But I understand what you are saying about the extent of some brachy breeds "squashed face".

It saddens me to see GSDs with wobbly bakc legs because of extremely sloping backs, but recently I have seen more and more "straight-backed" GSDs.

I think pedigree dog breeding is affecting the welfare of some breeds but I wouldn't say it is same level of cruelty as dogs are subjected to on puppy farms.

Many of these dogs are very loved and well cared for by their owners, despite the health issues they may have. The owners are more likly to get the health problems addressed by a vet, than a breeding dog on a puppy farm.

I think welfare issues in pedigree dogs would be better addressed by breeder education and breed standard reforms rather than prosecution by the RSPCA.

The only way to deal with puppy farmers is through public eduction in conjunction with prosecution by the RSPCA with penalties

I loathe loathe loathe puppy farmers, they should be placed in a cell, given food and water and not much else, see how they feel ! Having said this, I disagree with you in that dogs with extremeties bred by registered breeders are faced with the same cruelty as those poor dogs bred by puppy farmers. The breeding dogs kept by puppy farmers lead a sad and isolated life and perhaps one of neglect also BUT some dogs bred by reg. breeders lead a life of suffering and this could all be so easily avoided. Don Burke has no sense of fairness! He has a point about purebred dogs but then he should also be stating the facts on puppy millers!

Steve, many have tried over the years to "fight back" and is is evidenced, not even the RSPCA is immune to Burke's drivel.

All I can say is that if you can do better than those who have tried....be our guest. Look forward to seeing the results.

Thats the whole point Ellz. No one is going to do it alone its come way to far for that - its going to take unity and numbers.Money and votes.