Which Works Best?

jazawayaya

Has anyone here had sucess with either?

(Or another type of 'rescue remedy'?)

The story-

I got my dog Banjo from the RSPCA about 5-6 months ago.... It was originally planned to leave him outside while we went to work (gone approx 8-10 hours 5 days a week).

This didnt go so well.... We had a complaint from a neighbour about non stop barking and secret video taping from us confirmed this.

After trying things like leaving out our clothes, moving kennel to the back door, kongs, all his food given in treat balls, blocking off all access to the stress still nothing changed.

So we started leaving him inside when we went to work. That changed everything. Secret video footage showed him doing hardly any barks, much more relaxed.

A month ago we got Luda from a breeder at 4 months.

We thought it may work well to put them both outside together.

Well it didnt work.

Again Luda responded well to being left inside.

So we have decided they will just be inside dogs. They like it better and I also dont have to stress about them getting stolen/ baited etc.

But they still carry on a little bit inside so I am looking at getting one or the other or both just to help them calm down.

We of course will still be working on leaving them alone and this wont be a long term solution.

They will be getting a half hour walk every morning before work and left with kongs, a bone and toys will be rotated. They have their crates inside. They will also get a walk after work.

So any advise on which works better would be appreciated.

thank you!

BAch is based on homeopathy which many people believe is a crock. It contains very, very little amounts of "active" ingredients. I can't remember the exact amount but homeopathy is something like 1/10000th of the actual ingedient. It is based on the principle that water has "memory".

So...I'd go with the DAP diffuser if I had to chose.

Have you tried speaking to a behaviourist?I's also suggest throwing in some training sessions during the morning walk (Just a few mins) to tire them out mentally. Do they get off leash play time? That is far more tiring than an onleash walk.

Edited by megan_

Have a look at The Beautiful Dog Company range of Bach Remedies http://www.thebeautifuldogcompany.net.au/index.html

The 'Content' may be useful for Banjo. I currently have my foster girl on the 'Calm' and it seems to be working. I'm giving it to her directly on her food each morning.

The Beautiful Dog Co will be having a stall here on Saturday Sept 4th and can give you more info about the products if you're interested.

I have had great success with Bach Flower remedies when tailored for the dog for the particular problem. I have also had failures, mainly anything to do with anxiety when travelling (tried all sorts of things for that) and rescue remedy when used as a general cure.

I get mine, when needed, from my vet. Haven't needed anything for a long time, but she does a consult, then makes up the remedy based on the consult. If it didn't work she would make another, free of charge, but most times it was spot on. Hmm, I haven't tried her for the travelling anxiety, best I make an appointment I think!

I used DAP when my Dane jumped all over me when I returned from work, the DAP worked well and with behaviour such as ignoring my girl on my return I don't have any problems leaving her now. Never get complaints from my neighbours about her barking either and she is able to get ouside while I am at work.

Can't say anything about Bach remedies I've never used them.

Thanks eveyone so it looks like DAP is the way to go. ...

We will look at getting a behavorist in but would just like to see how they go for long periods inside together first.

MIL has been here since we got Luda so they havent had much time alone.

She will be gone in 2 weeks though so need to start getting everything sorted and together.

we have a few dogs that come to the kennls on a capsule tablet called restoracalm which seems to work well but not sure here it is from :S also our natropath at the kennels sells a products called calm u put it in their water or i think u can do food as well not sure about that one and it is really good! and all natural! site is www.naturalanimalsolutions.com.au

I have tried DAP diffuser. It appeases the dogs somewhat. Hard to tell with such lazy dogs.

Homeopathy is a scam, so I wouldn't waste any money or time on that.

:)

why did you try it if they are lazy and not stressy?

There was some couch licking and other licking going on.

I've used both and I think it comes down to working out what is right for your dogs. I would dread the times when we'd get a knock on the door in the evenings, knowing it was our neighbour coming to complain about the barking.

Not sure whether you've heard of Robert Holmes, a vet and animal behviourist, recommended I use DAP because my dog was unsettled, barking at birds and annoying the neighbours. I bought a couple of bottles of DAP but can't say I noticed a difference in his behaviour probably because the main room where he spends most of his day doesn't have doors to enclose the DAP pheromones. I have a new bottle I haven't use going cheap, if you're interested and it expires in Nov (pm me if interested).

I also tried Rescue Remedy and Australian Bush Essences, plus a special blend made for my dog but it's hard to know if it made a difference.

After experimenting with the "subtle" options, I progressed to intervention where my dog now goes to a dog carer for 2 days a week and I have happy neighbours. In hindsight I think my dog was barking out of boredom, despite a walk before and after work, different toys each day and hidden chews. This routine works for him, me and the neighbours.

I didn't have any luck with the DAP Diffuser or the Bach Remedy with different dogs I tried them on (I foster care).

The best result I had for a stressed dog was with Chinese herbs, prescribed by a vet in Sydney. A friend had troubles with her dog and got them so I went there with my dementia dog who wouldn't stop waking me up all night.

Within 2 days, he was back to normal, it was a miracle!

They are the "All Natural Vet", at Russell Lea, NSW.

Not cheap but who can put a price on peace of mind??

By the way, are they left in their crates the whole time you are away? Have you got a doggie door?

Mine can go out the dog door when they need to but spend most time inside although have the occasional sunbathing session on summer days.

Edited by dogmad

thanks everyone... I have ordered the dap diffuser so will see how that goes first....

dogmad no they arent crated the whole time.... they dont have a doggy door either as we are in a rental...

They just stay inside in the non carpeted areas of the house and use pee pads (most of the time)....

if I dont have much luck with the diffuser then I will try some herbal remedys...