Flea Treatment

So for the moment my dogs are flea free but as it starts to warm up I know the little buggers are gonna come looking to hitch a ride on the fur kids!

As they are all diff weights and sizes (I have 4 and my partner has a boxer puppy and will be moving in with me shortly) buying frontline for eg is waaaaay too expensive as no pet shops or vets in my area sell them seperately due to safety issues.

I have heard something about a flea injection so I was just looking for some more info on it like how long it last, how much it costs and if it even works.

Any info would be appreciated

I have a 7kg + 25kg dog and use a needle and syringe to split Advantix between both dogs.

You need the needle to get right into the container, not for the dog :thumbsup:.

You take the needle off and use the syringe to squirt it on.

I buy the 25kg+ size to do both dogs.

Has been effective for both flea and tick prevention.

I'm in Canberra now (no ticks) but was using it for about 2 years this way on the South Coast NSW which is tick central!

Yep - I was going to suggest similar. Just purchase the "bigger dog" Advantix/Frontline and divide the pipette amount between the smaller dogs and use a bigger one for the Boxer pup or larger dogs when you need it. :rofl:

Edited by t-time

the trouble with splitting a bigger sized application is that there is different levels of product/ingredients for the dogs weight

example for a 20.1 to 40 kg dog it contains a certain amount 120mg(mL) of selamectin what ever that is for that weight range is you were to split it, it wouldn't have the same effect and could possibly be dangerous for the smaller weighing dog as it is getting more then its aquired mL range

You could also try buying a large size comfortis and splitting the chews into smaller doses but it does depend on what the weights are on how easy it is to do it!...

I wouldn't waste money on frontline...... advocate/advantage or revolution are better products and yes do be very careful you read the strength AND amount otherwise its very easy to overdose, especially if you have a smaller dog which will only have a very small amount. I know this information is all available on a pdf file on Revolutions website. These products do have a wider safety margin fortunately as manufacturers do test overdoses.

You could also try buying a large size comfortis and splitting the chews into smaller doses but it does depend on what the weights are on how easy it is to do it!...

I wouldn't waste money on frontline...... advocate/advantage or revolution are better products and yes do be very careful you read the strength AND amount otherwise its very easy to overdose, especially if you have a smaller dog which will only have a very small amount. I know this information is all available on a pdf file on Revolutions website. These products do have a wider safety margin fortunately as manufacturers do test overdoses.

I split the Advantage between my dogs.

I have a 3kg, 9kg, and then 15kg and 30 kg dogs. It tells you the amounts needed for each size right there on the instruction leaflet. I just use a syringe and suck it all out, and they divide as necessary. And I did check the amounts per ml were the same for the different sizes and they were when I checked.

The easiest way is to buy the frontline spray

It STINKS!!! (Well, unless you like the smell of flea stuff!!) :laugh:

the trouble with splitting a bigger sized application is that there is different levels of product/ingredients for the dogs weight

Last time I checked, there was no issue with dividing a pipette of Frontline or Advantix and I'm pretty sure that hasn't changed. :o

I've just ordered comfortis as my vet said I could split it between the dogs. I have a 10 kg Shih Tzu and a (currently 10kg) Golden puppy who will be vastly different sizes when grown. I bought the 18-27kg one from Ebay for $51.50 for six tablets which means it's just over $8 per month for flea control. :rofl: