Raw Chicken For Dogs

cj-b

Hi,

My dog currently gets raw chicken/bone mince with his dinner. A friend of mine recently told me, that she was told by a vet, that there is a chance, after a dog consumes raw chicken that, if the dog licks a child there is a high chance of selmonella poisening.

Does this sound extreme to anyone else, or should I be worried?

I have 2 young children, that love to play, cuddle and kiss our dog. I have seen them in the past, coped the odd 'tonguey', but we have been told them "don't let him lick you in the mouth" but I know it sometimes happens, not often, but I'm sure it still does occasionally. So, I now worried and concerned that I should consider cooking the mince first.

Any thoughts regarding this, would be of big help, thanks.

I'd say its no greater than the chance of bacteria contamination from playing with a dog that's consumed faeces or licked its bum. I don't allow my dogs to lick me on the mouth and I wash my hands before eating.

Instilling some basic hygiene is IMO all that's required to manage any risk that dogs might present.

If that was the case then my whole family should be sick or dead! I have always been a dog 'kisser' (on the nose) and my dogs are lickers but it is my 9 year old that takes it to the gross level. She has been seen letting our dogs (one in particular) lick her face and mouth. She gets told off for doing it but it still happens. She always says that Jazz (the main culprit) loves her so much and thats why she does it, I tell her it's because she must have stinky breath as dogs love smelly things! :)

post-35373-1283156295_thumb.jpg

ETA a pic of the culprits

Edited by dobesrock

If that was the case then my whole family should be sick or dead! I have always been a dog 'kisser' (on the nose) and my dogs are lickers but it is my 9 year old that takes it to the gross level. She has been seen letting our dogs (one in particular) lick her face and mouth. She gets told off for doing it but it still happens. She always says that Jazz (the main culprit) loves her so much and thats why she does it, I tell her it's because she must have stinky breath as dogs love smelly things! :)

post-35373-1283156295_thumb.jpg

ETA a pic of the culprits

hehe that's so cute, she says it's because she loves her so much. Do your dogs eat Raw?

I first thought, what a load of crap. But after thinking about it, I thought it does sort of make sense. But then, I guess, like Poodlefan said, there would be the same chance, from other things. Honestly, I think there might be more of a chance of a selmonella issue, from a fast food outlet than our dog.

But I still thought it might be best to get some other opinions.

My dogs eat 60% raw (meat, bone, offal, sardines, veges, yoghurt and eggs) and 40% holistic dry food. I must admit to being just like my daughter when I was a kid. I am a bit anal about the house being clean and tidy but dog lick is just a part of our lives and I'm not too fussed about it. We are all very healthy and my kids have no allergies or illnesses. I think balance is good. If you are too clean and hygenic then how can resistance be built up to germs?

My dogs eat 60% raw (meat, bone, offal, sardines, veges, yoghurt and eggs) and 40% holistic dry food. I must admit to being just like my daughter when I was a kid. I am a bit anal about the house being clean and tidy but dog lick is just a part of our lives and I'm not too fussed about it. We are all very healthy and my kids have no allergies or illnesses. I think balance is good. If you are too clean and hygenic then how can resistance be built up to germs?

I totally agree. And must admit I was like her as well when I was young, and their is nothing wrong with me now, well DH would probably agrue otherwise :D

Thanks for our reassurance.

Hi,

My dog currently gets raw chicken/bone mince with his dinner. A friend of mine recently told me, that she was told by a vet, that there is a chance, after a dog consumes raw chicken that, if the dog licks a child there is a high chance of selmonella poisening.

Does this sound extreme to anyone else, or should I be worried?

I have 2 young children, that love to play, cuddle and kiss our dog. I have seen them in the past, coped the odd 'tonguey', but we have been told them "don't let him lick you in the mouth" but I know it sometimes happens, not often, but I'm sure it still does occasionally. So, I now worried and concerned that I should consider cooking the mince first.

Any thoughts regarding this, would be of big help, thanks.

Personally it sounds like a whole heap of crap to me. :D

My children are all well and fit and now so are their children and I am still feeding the dog's chicken. :eek:

If someone in the house has compromised immune system (chemo therapy, newborns, aids patients, etc) then a concern about zoological transmission is valid. Delta Therapy dogs that visit hospitals are tested regularly and can't visit if salmonella is present in the stool sample.

Apart from these situations, for most dog owners who practice normal hygiene, the risk of salmonella transmission from dog to human is extremely low, very very low, and the "danger" of an infection in a healthy individual is very, very small, as well.

So while it could happen, it rarely does.

Edited by Aussienot

If someone in the house has compromised immune system (chemo therapy, newborns, aids patients, etc) then a concern about zoological transmission is valid. Delta Therapy dogs that visit hospitals are tested regularly and can't visit if salmonella is present in the stool sample.

Yes, I was going to bring that point up as well.

Possible.. but if you're healthy and use common sense it's extremely unlikely. Wash your hands, and make sure the kids wash their hands before eating and after playing with the dogs and you'll be fine. You're more likely to pick it up from supermarkets, public transport, playgrounds...

My dog is fed raw, we're not dead yet :)

I am of the belief that if you freeze the chicken for a few days it kills the salmonella, But not sure if this is scientific fact. Just to be sure I don't like my dog kissing me straight after she has eaten. You can catch a lot more things from being around someone who sneezes etc, or from handling money then eating without washing your hands, than you can from a lick from a dog. I have a friend who is paronoid about germs & recently at a trial she bent down to pat my dog who immediatley got her with a quick, long tounge, straight on the lips. :laugh: Well, honestly for about ten minutes afterwards, she kept carrying on about it & I thought she was going to throw up :rasberry:

Is there a greater chance when you own a bearded dog like a mini schnauzer, who often has the raw remains stuck in their beard after a feast?!

Is there a greater chance when you own a bearded dog like a mini schnauzer, who often has the raw remains stuck in their beard after a feast?!

I would think so, my boy is half mini schnauzer, so that was why I was initially worried, but have come to think, if I wipe him down after eating, that it should minimize the chance even more.