Is It Possible To Get A Dog As Smart As...

Guest Kate_Summer

LOL That list is really not worth the paper it's written on.

I agree, the Belgian Malinios is missing from the list and the GSD is the smartest of that lot :bolt:

Malinois is 22.

The list is actually based on obedience and trainability. Does not include creativity and genetic variations within the same breed.

Making a list that would include all possible aspects relevant to dog intelligence is impossible (IMO). And even if it is, some people would dispute it, just because their preffered breeds are placed low. After all, we all know that our dogs are the smartest (and cutest). :laugh:

Edited by felix

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Making a list that would include all possible aspects relevant to dog intelligence is impossible (IMO). And even if it is, some people would dispute it, just because their preffered breeds are placed low. After all, we all know that our dogs are the smartest (and cutest). :rofl:

That's not true!! My housemate calls Monster "Britney" (as in the dumb cheerleader from Glee). I always tell him that he's lucky he looks pretty cos he's not very bright! ;)

Geez, the Golden Retriever at 3????!! ;)

Maybe their EQ (Emotional Quotient) is high, but from the gorgeous boofas I have met, as well as my girl, not their IQ. :rofl:

(Edited because like dog, like owner... :o

Edited by ✽deelee

Just with Labs and shedding, I find a Furminator works really well. I was also warned about shedding, but I found she didn't shed as much as I thought she would. Maybe some Labs shed more than others :) or maybe I just have a high tollerance for animal fur :thumbsup: I think my cats shed a lot more when I pat them than my Lab does.

Edited by Bonnie Pup

Huski, have to mention a young friend has a beagle puppy and I was freaking it would be too hard for him, she is only 10 months now, at his 21st. she (Lola) was incredible, loads of training, she is amazing , I was :confused: very clever and wonderful girl!

Awww how sweet! Usually Daisy uses those moments to embarrass me but sometimes her manners and training shines through :thumbsup::)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Kate_Summer
I think nearly every larger, high degree of trainability breed I can think of would need more than a half hour's onlead exercise a day. :vomit: All dogs need some offlead time to develop and maintain good condition too.

Pity you won't downsize KS or consider a longer coated (not clipped) breed - it would make suggestions a bit easier. :laugh:

The main reason we're trying to find a short coated breed is that prikles get stuck in the long coats as well as in between their toes(w obviously remove them, but they can be easily missed if not thoroughly inspected), therefore we believe it would be easier to keep a short coated clean. So...having said that which breed did you have in mind?

;)

You pretty much described a Swedish Vallhund in your earlier post about what you're looking for. They are short, which I guess might be a turn off, but tough little buggers. Mine crash tackles his 26kg Lapphund brother at high speed. It's pretty spectacular. When the dust settles it takes a few moments to work out where each dog ended up. He is pretty unstoppable. He is also about the smartest dog I've ever met. He picks up new things in two repetitions and will work for just about anything. He's an excellent watchdog and has a short, double coat. He would get by on a 30 minute walk a day plus training without any trouble, although he needs to stretch his legs and run every couple of days. They are a cattle herding breed, so smart, game and easy to train, but also a spitz breed, so a wee bit independent. Nordic herders are the best! Just a nice balance between the trainability of a traditional working breed, but lower exercise requirements and a bit more independent.

Guest Kate_Summer
You pretty much described a Swedish Vallhund in your earlier post about what you're looking for. They are short, which I guess might be a turn off, but tough little buggers. Mine crash tackles his 26kg Lapphund brother at high speed. It's pretty spectacular. When the dust settles it takes a few moments to work out where each dog ended up. He is pretty unstoppable. He is also about the smartest dog I've ever met. He picks up new things in two repetitions and will work for just about anything. He's an excellent watchdog and has a short, double coat. He would get by on a 30 minute walk a day plus training without any trouble, although he needs to stretch his legs and run every couple of days. They are a cattle herding breed, so smart, game and easy to train, but also a spitz breed, so a wee bit independent. Nordic herders are the best! Just a nice balance between the trainability of a traditional working breed, but lower exercise requirements and a bit more independent.

In size they are the 'largest' within the small if I'm not wrong?

If too small my dog think its diner/toy to play with! :thumbsup:

Ok Im going to add to the vote of Koolie, I find it quiet funny how people assume they know a breed they do not own or breed :rofl:

I have owned kelpies and I can tell you there is a huge difference between a kelpie and a koolie when it comes to exercise requirements and "off switches".

My koolies are the biggest couch potatoes you will ever meet , I have 5 all from different lines and guess what they are all the same, they would rather sit and watch tv than do anything else, they are happy with a game of fetch if I cannot walk them,and DO NOT go bonkers. Over the last few months there has been weeks at a time they have not been walked due to me being in hospital.

They are very smart and do thrive on learning new things, so tricks are a must :thumbsup:

Fantastic with kids, very versitile and will do a warning bark but nothing else...

They do shed but not much and have a wash and wear coat and you have many coat colours available.

If you are interested in meeting some koolies PM me and I can send you a list of breeders in your area.

KOOLIE CLUB website

In size they are the 'largest' within the small if I'm not wrong?

If too small my dog think its diner/toy to play with! :thumbsup:

They weigh about 13kg and are generally a bit taller than a corgi. Every now and then big dogs get a bit excitable about my Vall. He handles it really well and is very good at stopping games with big dogs that start getting too rough. Maybe not a good choice if you have a bigger dog that chases small dogs, though. They start out pretty small!

How many times a year do they need to be clip to keep the look?

I'd recommend clipping at a maximum of every 2 months. I think every 6 weeks is better.

You can learn to do it yourself. The gear isn't cheap to get but its less expensive in the long run than paying someone else to do it. Best to start pups off with a professional though - a pup and a learner groomer isn't a great combination. The head poms are scissored by the way.

But if you'd even consider a poodle, there are probably lower maintenance dogs with some sort of coat.

Poodles do best with plenty of exercise - even the Toys will walk your legs off given a chance.

High exercise, how would it cope if taken for 3-4 huge walk weekly? Or is it a daily requirement? Would a backpack with a bit of weight help(to double up their exercises?)?

Poodles aren't up to weight bearing. They're simply not built for it. Personally I'm no fan of back packs on any dog.

What smart dogs like is variety - they get bored with the same walks. Mix it up, add some training, some ball games etc and they'd cope with that many walks. They just do better with more.

If you got a poodle, what size would you aim for. I'd not go larger than a mini with the exercise you're proposing.

The standard being the larger one - Obviously it wouldn't be for me - I can do lots of play, but wouldnt want to walk 12 km everyday(thats my aim 2-4 times a week, only if my health allows me too, otherwise it will be as it is now, my 30 minute fast pace :heart: , but in a few years I could do more than that as I would be by myself all day long, so I could do up to 3 x 30 minutes fast pace walk daily. But by the sound of it it might not be enough for a high exercise type of dog..? At the moment, I'm looking at breeds considering my present circumstances...but in 6 or so years I will either be better or worse(hopefully not).

Our standard is 6 months old and currently gets walked 30 mins to an hour a day (2 walks, mixture of on and off lead). The rest of the time she is happy to lie around in the house or play in the yard. Other standard owners may have different experiences but I wouldn't consider mine a high exercise dog.

Edited by jaegertheweim

Ok Im going to add to the vote of Koolie, I find it quiet funny how people assume they know a breed they do not own or breed :cry:

I have owned kelpies and I can tell you there is a huge difference between a kelpie and a koolie when it comes to exercise requirements and "off switches".

My koolies are the biggest couch potatoes you will ever meet , I have 5 all from different lines and guess what they are all the same, they would rather sit and watch tv than do anything else, they are happy with a game of fetch if I cannot walk them,and DO NOT go bonkers. Over the last few months there has been weeks at a time they have not been walked due to me being in hospital.

They are very smart and do thrive on learning new things, so tricks are a must :)

Fantastic with kids, very versitile and will do a warning bark but nothing else...

They do shed but not much and have a wash and wear coat and you have many coat colours available.

If you are interested in meeting some koolies PM me and I can send you a list of breeders in your area.

KOOLIE CLUB website

sheree_e4

Out of interest, what are the other differences that you know of between kelpies & koolies?

My girl Tilly was a stray so I don't know her X-breeds, but the pound said she is a kelpie X koolie, so i've got the best of both worlds :cry: . She is very clever, playful, has loads of energy and loves going out, but she also loves hanging out with the family too and will happily snuggle into your legs while you relax, so she does have an off switch.

3756719282_d550753818.jpg