Is It Possible To Get A Dog As Smart As...

Guest Kate_Summer

Dobes are very trainable and have short hair. The ones I've met have been really lovely dogs :laugh:

here is an interesting link for you.

its the results of a study done on the trainability of various breeds.

Trainability is probably more what you're looking for than intelligence :laugh:

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Kate_Summer
I think you need a Robo-Dog :laugh: - every REAL dog seems to have some problem. You obviously have NO idea what Poodles are like!

I never said I wanted a Poodle or a perfect dog.

I think you need a Robo-Dog :laugh: - every REAL dog seems to have some problem. You obviously have NO idea what Poodles are like!

Or perhaps she is just being responsible & researching her breeds to make sure she gets exactly what she wants before she buys one. :laugh:

Staffies might be a breed to look into. They're great with kids, smart enough as long as you motivate them appropriately, short coated and clean, and although they love & need exercise they don't need as much stimulation as a true working breed would.

I meant that you dismissed Poodle out of hand - obviously have no idea what they are like. So far your criteria are:

Doesn't need (much if any) exercise

Doesn't shed

Not small

Is not for the children

So a Robo-Dog seems perfect. I'm not saying I would recommend a Poodle - probably too much work for you

Guest Kate_Summer

I meant that you dismissed Poodle out of hand - obviously have no idea what they are like. So far your criteria are:

Doesn't shed

Not small

Is not for the children

So a Robo-Dog seems perfect. I'm not saying I would recommend a Poodle - probably too much work for you

I never said anything about shedding - get your fact straight before answering or don't bother, assumptions such as yours are useless.If poodle breeders are like that yes I would rather dealing with a robo-dog :laugh:

a coolie :laugh: smart dog, comes in short or long coat and adapts to your living style

Still a working dog that needs lots of exercise and stimulation :laugh:

aha that's why i like the coolies! Most, not all I will admit, have a really good "off" switch and will settle. Sure they need a good walk each day and I find particularly with my boy that he needs some stimulation in something to do but living with 2 other dogs and 3 cats he is well provided with this but he is happy to lie around the couch as well

I don't see how that is different to other working breeds - good ones have an 'off' switch :laugh: but if she doesn't want something as energetic as an Aussie, BC, Kelpie or other working/herding breed, I don't see why a c/Koolie would be any different? They were still bred to do the same job, and would still have the same exercise and stimulation requirements. Unless somehow magically not being an ANKC registered breed makes them different to all other herding breeds that are still doing their original job.

Guest Kate_Summer
what do you want to do with the dog and what size do you want it to be roughly? Oh and single or doubel coat? Even shorter hair dogs with double coats will moult like no tomorrow :laugh:

Get a poodle :rofl:

Dog that can be around kids of any age - I totally dislike small breed, between medium size to giant size, rather small hair every where than woolly longish hair :laugh:

Would be kept as a pet, so desexed etc.

If you thought my above replied included Poodles than you were wrong, I simply answered the question I was asked & didn't actually say anything regarding Poodles.

ETA - woolly longish hair - referring to my present dog too, not a Poodle.

Edited by Kate_Summer

Ridgeback? I confess to not knowing a heap about them but the 4-5 I have known have all been intelligent & fairly lazy. Maybe someone who knows more about them could comment?

Greyhound?

Edited by Vickie

Guest Kate_Summer
Ridgeback? I confess to not knowing a heap about them but the 4-5 I have known have all been intelligent & fairly lazy. Maybe someone who knows more about them could comment?

Greyhound?

Wow, the first to suggest Greyhound, I don't know much about them beside many usually suggesting the breed :laugh:Mot Not sure what they are like as most come from the adoption program??

Love Ridgie look but know nothing about them :laugh:

Edited by Kate_Summer

Greyhound?

Wow, the first to suggest Greyhound, I don't know much about them beside many usually suggesting the breed :laugh: Mot sure what they are like as most come from the adoption program??

Love Ridgie look but know nothing about them :rofl:

Greyhound is a great idea! My dog boards at GAP when I go on holiday & all the GAP greyhounds I have met there are all laid back & lovely. Need far less exercise than you'd think, they seem to be content to lie on the couch most of the day. Gentle souls. Lovely short coats too.

Only drawback is that apparently you can't really let them off leash in unenclosed areas, since if they see something to chase they can be out of earshot before you can call them back. :laugh:

Guest Kate_Summer

Greyhound?

Wow, the first to suggest Greyhound, I don't know much about them beside many usually suggesting the breed :laugh: Mot sure what they are like as most come from the adoption program??

Love Ridgie look but know nothing about them :rofl:

Greyhound is a great idea! My dog boards at GAP when I go on holiday & all the GAP greyhounds I have met there are all laid back & lovely. Need far less exercise than you'd think, they seem to be content to lie on the couch most of the day. Gentle souls. Lovely short coats too.

Only drawback is that apparently you can't really let them off leash in unenclosed areas, since if they see something to chase they can be out of earshot before you can call them back. :laugh:

I don't go to offleash area, less trouble, rather walk them on leash, my dog doesnt mind it either. :rofl:

But she gets stimulation too, not just walking on leash

I don't see how that is different to other working breeds - good ones have an 'off' switch :laugh: but if she doesn't want something as energetic as an Aussie, BC, Kelpie or other working/herding breed, I don't see why a c/Koolie would be any different? They were still bred to do the same job, and would still have the same exercise and stimulation requirements. Unless somehow magically not being an ANKC registered breed makes them different to all other herding breeds that are still doing their original job.

awww poor little coolies not being able to be ANKC registered :laugh: I don't know Kavik, just my experience and I must say I don't know aussies, but I do know some BCs and some Kelpies and to me the coolies seem quieter. I do know alot of different coolies. My friend has more than a few and apart from the odd one they seem pretty settled dogs too. But I 110% agree that they do need exercise and stimulation and are definitely not the dog for everyone :rofl: Interesting too about good dogs having an off switch. Maybe that's the other problem that I have, there are not many well bred bcs or kelpies around where I live - in fact I was very astonished at the difference when I saw some show bcs at Gunnedah. :rofl:

Greyhound?

Wow, the first to suggest Greyhound, I don't know much about them beside many usually suggesting the breed :oMot Not sure what they are like as most come from the adoption program??

Love Ridgie look but know nothing about them :eek:

What do you want to know? :laugh:

From my experience; they are lazy - happy with 30-60 minutes of exercise per day but also just as happy (if not more) to lay on the couch all day.

They are smart, but not necessarily easy to train. I find it very easy to teach my dog to do things but not so easy to get him to WANT to do it, there really has to be something in it for them - they won't work for the love of it (so prob not the best dog for obedience unless you're willing to put in a LOT of work).

They get bored quickly too and don't do well with repetition or "drill" type obedience training.

They are independant and strong minded, you need to show good leadership from day one. They are also big and strong and can easily knock kids over when they are running around. Also pays to teach good leash manners because of their size.

They don't tend to jump, but the ones that do can clear a 6ft fence easy (see the pic below of the amazing flying Kei :laugh: )

I've found that most ridgies are wary of strangers, more a one person/family dog than a love everyone type dog.

They are not big barkers, they tend to bark for a reason - not because they like the sound of their own voice.

They do shed (especially comming into summer) but not a great deal, they don't require much grooming beyond a bath every now and then, ears cleaned and nails clipped.

They are generally food motivated (though some are a bit more fussy).

They are BIG sooky-la-la's and don't like to be left alone for long periods of time.

an Aussie Shep...but short haired??

I agree with the poster who said that most of the "smart" dogs require a high degree of mental (and physical) stimulation.

If you upped the amount of exercise you were prepared to give the dog then something like a utility gundog might fit the bill very well. Intelligent, highly trainable but higher maintenance in terms of exercise than you currently want to do. Quite a few have short coats.

Edited to add: a Smooth Collie might suit.

Edited by poodlefan

Doesn't shed

Not small

Is not for the children

I never said anything about shedding - get your fact straight before answering or don't bother, assumptions such as yours are useless.If poodle breeders are like that yes I would rather dealing with a robo-dog :laugh:

NO need to be gratuitously insulting

Guest Kate_Summer

Doesn't shed

Not small

Is not for the children

NO need to be gratuitously insulting

Works BOTH ways.