Is It Possible To Get A Dog As Smart As...

Guest Kate_Summer

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Kate_Summer
A short coated Koolie - they don't all need lots of exercise - some are complete couch potatoes - you just have to choose carefully.

It would be harder to know if choosing a pup? I don't mind, when the times come to choose an older one, at least I would know for sure that way? :laugh:

what do you want to do with the dog and what size do you want it to be roughly? Oh and single or doubel coat? Even shorter hair dogs with double coats will moult like no tomorrow :laugh:

Get a poodle :eek:

Dog that can be around kids of any age - I totally dislike small breed, between medium size to giant size, rather small hair every where than woolly longish hair :o

Would be kept as a pet, so desexed etc.

Labrador.

They are smart, they just need the right training. A bored pet lab can be a total nightmare.

A number of Dolers with labs commpete very successfully in obedience.

They are after all the ultimate service dog. They are guide dogs, assistance dogs, bomb detection dogs, customs dogs, therapy dogs. The only thing they don't do is some types of police dog work because they are not really aggressive or intimidating enough.

You can see I am not totally biased :laugh:

I've actually had both an aussie and a lab and I do think they are equally intelligent.

But i think labs are a bit easier to look after in terms of day to day maintenance especially with grooming and the like.

Maybe people think I am being silly, but I don't see the benefit of suggesting a herding breed (Koolie OR Malinois) when the OP has said she doesn't want that sort of exercise and stimulation requirements :eek:

Either the breed is good for herding/dog sports/SchH type activities (ie HIGH energy) or it is less active, I don't think you can have it both ways :laugh:

and Chewy, while GSD of all colours are lovely dogs, they do shed like there is no tomorrow :laugh: Seriously about 100 times more than my Kelpies :o

Maybe people think I am being silly, but I don't see the benefit of suggesting a herding breed (Koolie OR Malinois) when the OP has said she doesn't want that sort of exercise and stimulation requirements :(

Either the breed is good for herding/dog sports/SchH type activities (ie HIGH energy) or it is less active, I don't think you can have it both ways :)

Me neither. Mallies are high maintenance & high energy, even the showline ones tend to have lots more go than your average pet.

Forgot to say - that doesn't need a ton of exercises! lol :)

I would love a Great Dane but, I'm not sure how challenging it would be to train?

ETA I don't know about exercises requirement of Great Danes either

Depends if you like a challenge. They aren't as smart as a working dog but they can still work but they're an independent breed so you have to come at them from a different perspective.

I like them because they are a challenge.

Danes require very little exercise as youngans and then about 30 minutes a day as an adult unless you want to up it over time.

I like the challenge, but not overly stubborn, so long I can work with them I'm happy :(

Sounds like a great breed, working dogs are great although probably a little to much to handle exercise wise :eek:

Every dog is different but they're certainly no Aussie Shepherd. If you want to do competitive Obedience and you want to do it with more ease then don't get a Dane ;)

I think you need a Robo-Dog :) - every REAL dog seems to have some problem. You obviously have NO idea what Poodles are like!

I never said I wanted a Poodle or a perfect dog.

I meant that you dismissed Poodle out of hand - obviously have no idea what they are like. So far your criteria are:

Doesn't need (much if any) exercise

Doesn't shed

Not small

Is not for the children

So a Robo-Dog seems perfect. I'm not saying I would recommend a Poodle - probably too much work for you

I never said anything about shedding - get your fact straight before answering or don't bother, assumptions such as yours are useless.If poodle breeders are like that yes I would rather dealing with a robo-dog :(

NO need to be gratuitously insulting

:eek: Chill out Poodle people!

Edited by sas

an Aussie Shep...but short haired??

I agree with the poster who said that most of the "smart" dogs require a high degree of mental (and physical) stimulation.

If you upped the amount of exercise you were prepared to give the dog then something like a utility gundog might fit the bill very well. Intelligent, highly trainable but higher maintenance in terms of exercise than you currently want to do. Quite a few have short coats.

Edited to add: a Smooth Collie might suit.

:p ;) I WAS going to say vizsla :):( until I saw the exercise requirements, very very clever and easy to train, but pretty high on the exercise requirements. :eek: Plus, stunning looking ;) ;)

Don't labs and Mals meed a lot of exercise too???

Guest Kate_Summer
Forgot to say - that doesn't need a ton of exercises! lol :)

I would love a Great Dane but, I'm not sure how challenging it would be to train?

Depends if you like a challenge. They aren't as smart as a working dog but they can still work but they're an independent breed so you have to come at them from a different perspective.

Danes require very little exercise as youngans and then about 30 minutes a day as an adult unless you want to up it over time.

I like the challenge, but not overly stubborn, so long I can work with them I'm happy :(

Sounds like a great breed, working dogs are great although probably a little to much to handle exercise wise :eek:

Every dog is different but they're certainly no Aussie Shepherd. If you want to do competitive Obedience and you want to do it with more ease then don't get a Dane :eek:

Not for show or anything like that, just as an enjoyable pet ;)

Forgot to say - that doesn't need a ton of exercises! lol :(

I like the challenge, but not overly stubborn, so long I can work with them I'm happy :eek:

Sounds like a great breed, working dogs are great although probably a little to much to handle exercise wise ;)

Every dog is different but they're certainly no Aussie Shepherd. If you want to do competitive Obedience and you want to do it with more ease then don't get a Dane :p

Not for show or anything like that, just as an enjoyable pet :eek:

The dog doesn't have to be smart to show ;) But for Obedience work you'll want some work-ability :)

If just for pet, you'll get in what you put in - certainly a Breed you have to put a lot of training into as an untrained Giant is a dangerous dog and problems you consider small with other breeds will be highly visable with a Giant breed.

Sas pretty much summed up the Danes for you pretty well. Whilst they don't have the exercise requirement of a working breed, I would say they have a higher need for training, due to their size and strength etc. So the time you would spend exercising a working breed, could be close to the time needed to be spent training a Dane to ensure they are good canine citizens.

Orbit is my first Dane and I'm constantly learning every day how much work it can take with leadership.

Kate_Summer, it might help if you post EXACTLY how much time you want to spend on:

excercise

grooming

coat preference (long/medium/short/very short)

training and what you want to do with the dog - do you want to compete in agility or obedience at all? Or tracking or herding? Or are you not interested in dog sport and just want a well behaved companion?

How big your yard is and will the dog be inside?

How old will your kids be when you get it?

What kind of temperament you want in a dog - do you want a snuggly velcro dog, a happy to please dog or a more independant type breed (a lot of that is personality too but breed does play a part I think).

Anything else that you are particular about?

There are heaps of short coated, intelligent breeds out there but they all suit different owners with different interests and requirements. eg, a Dane would make a great companion, but might not be the best choice if you are wishing to trial competitively in agility. A Malinois is extremely intelligent and loves to work but wont be happy with only a 30 minute walk and sitting around the house, same goes for any working breed. A Lab might be a great family dog and has a short coat - but my God do they shed :)

Those breed selector things can be a good start too :(

Guest Kate_Summer

My replies in purple :D

Kate_Summer, it might help if you post EXACTLY how much time you want to spend on:

excercise----> 30 minutes, but HEAPS more time for training from home

grooming----> as little as possible, so brushing, but no clipping

coat preference (long/medium/short/very short)-----> Short to very short

training and what you want to do with the dog - do you want to compete in agility or obedience at all? Or tracking or herding? Or are you not interested in dog sport and just want a well behaved companion?---->Just a well behaved lovely companion :)

How big your yard is and will the dog be inside?----> Good size yard, fully fenced, in/out type of dog & I'm home all the time except to go close clothes* shopping when needed

How old will your kids be when you get it?----> The youngest would be approx. 6+ & in school oldest would be 20+

What kind of temperament you want in a dog - do you want a snuggly velcro dog, a happy to please dog or a more independant type breed (a lot of that is personality too but breed does play a part I think). ----> Happy to please & a bit independant

Anything else that you are particular about? ----> To be a tiny tiny little wary of stranger 'to tell them off' without being aggressive, not a high prey drive type either.

There are heaps of short coated, intelligent breeds out there but they all suit different owners with different interests and requirements. eg, a Dane would make a great companion, but might not be the best choice if you are wishing to trial competitively in agility. A Malinois is extremely intelligent and loves to work but wont be happy with only a 30 minute walk and sitting around the house, same goes for any working breed. A Lab might be a great family dog and has a short coat - but my God do they shed :mad

Those breed selector things can be a good start too ;)

Edited by Kate_Summer

Kate_Summer what did you think of my Dobe suggestion?

just to add some more about Danes:

Some danes have quite high prey drive, others very little, so you would have to look into lines about that :D

Also you mentioned about being reserved with strangers; I think there is a fair amount of variation in that as well.

My Dane thinks other people exist to pat/play and talk to her. She is certainly not reserved and would never tell anyone off :mad

So if you decided on a Dane you would have to look into lines to get what you want :)

As for your 'happy to please but a bit independent too' requirement. Well I find Danes like to be with you and they like to 'help' you do things, and they are generally affectionate. But I don't think they will generally do something just to please you though, they often need something in it for them ;)