Is It Possible To Get A Dog As Smart As...

Guest Kate_Summer

Guest Kate_Summer
Kate_Summer what did you think of my Dobe suggestion?

just to add some more about Danes:

Some danes have quite high prey drive, others very little, so you would have to look into lines about that :D

Also you mentioned about being reserved with strangers; I think there is a fair amount of variation in that as well.

My Dane thinks other people exist to pat/play and talk to her. She is certainly not reserved and would never tell anyone off :mad

So if you decided on a Dane you would have to look into lines to get what you want :)

As for your 'happy to please but a bit independent too' requirement. Well I find Danes like to be with you and they like to 'help' you do things, and they are generally affectionate. But I don't think they will generally do something just to please you though, they often need something in it for them ;)

I asked hubby about dobs he thinks they don't look friendly, he wants a friendly looking one(I like the not so friendly looking one lol).

happy to please more like just behaving in general :eek:

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think nearly every larger, high degree of trainability breed I can think of would need more than a half hour's onlead exercise a day. :mad All dogs need some offlead time to develop and maintain good condition too.

Pity you won't downsize KS or consider a longer coated (not clipped) breed - it would make suggestions a bit easier. :D

Edited by poodlefan

I can't think of anything! Blank, zip, got nuthin'........

Maybe an older dog? A dog of around 6 or 7 can still be around for another 9 or 10 years :mad

'behaving in general' is a training issue, not neccessarily a breed issue.xxx

Edited by Monah

What do you want to know? :mad

From my experience; they are lazy - happy with 30-60 minutes of exercise per day but also just as happy (if not more) to lay on the couch all day. My dogs get walked about once a week... I've done the test where it's been a choice for them between food, their lead and cuddles on the couch with me.... Meisha's choice was food, me then walk. Bakari's was me, food then walk.

They are smart, but not necessarily easy to train. I find it very easy to teach my dog to do things but not so easy to get him to WANT to do it, there really has to be something in it for them - they won't work for the love of it (so prob not the best dog for obedience unless you're willing to put in a LOT of work).

They get bored quickly too and don't do well with repetition or "drill" type obedience training. They tend to do better with short sessions

They are independant and strong minded, you need to show good leadership from day one. They are also big and strong and can easily knock kids over when they are running around. Also pays to teach good leash manners because of their size. Leash manners are imperative (from someone who has that problem!)

They don't tend to jump, but the ones that do can clear a 6ft fence easy (see the pic below of the amazing flying Kei :) )

I've found that most ridgies are wary of strangers, more a one person/family dog than a love everyone type dog. The boys tend to be velcro dogs, the girls more independant

They are not big barkers, they tend to bark for a reason - not because they like the sound of their own voice.

They do shed (especially comming into summer) but not a great deal, they don't require much grooming beyond a bath every now and then, ears cleaned and nails clipped. I brush mine every 2 weeks or so when I bath them, they run on the concrete in the yard so I've never had to do nails and ears are just a wipe out with a tissue when they are snuggled in your lap ;)

They are generally food motivated (though some are a bit more fussy). Depends on the dog... Meish will do anything for food. Bakari if there is distractions around he's not interested in food. Lucky he's such a mummy's boy he'll do almost anything for me (except walk nicely on the lead)

They are BIG sooky-la-la's and don't like to be left alone for long periods of time. My two are fine in the 10 hours they are home alone while we're at work but they love being around you when you're home... Normally just curled up in the same room as you but as long as they know where you are they're happy.

Their favourite thing to do

monstermeisha.jpg

My replies in purple ;)
Kate_Summer, it might help if you post EXACTLY how much time you want to spend on:

excercise----> 30 minutes, but HEAPS more time for training from home

grooming----> as little as possible, so brushing, but no clipping

coat preference (long/medium/short/very short)-----> Short to very short

training and what you want to do with the dog - do you want to compete in agility or obedience at all? Or tracking or herding? Or are you not interested in dog sport and just want a well behaved companion?---->Just a well behaved lovely companion :eek:

How big your yard is and will the dog be inside?----> Good size yard, fully fenced, in/out type of dog & I'm home all the time except to go close clothes* shopping when needed

How old will your kids be when you get it?----> The youngest would be approx. 6+ & in school oldest would be 20+

What kind of temperament you want in a dog - do you want a snuggly velcro dog, a happy to please dog or a more independant type breed (a lot of that is personality too but breed does play a part I think). ----> Happy to please & a bit independant

Anything else that you are particular about? ----> To be a tiny tiny little wary of stranger 'to tell them off' without being aggressive, not a high prey drive type either.

There are heaps of short coated, intelligent breeds out there but they all suit different owners with different interests and requirements. eg, a Dane would make a great companion, but might not be the best choice if you are wishing to trial competitively in agility. A Malinois is extremely intelligent and loves to work but wont be happy with only a 30 minute walk and sitting around the house, same goes for any working breed. A Lab might be a great family dog and has a short coat - but my God do they shed :D

Those breed selector things can be a good start too :(

That does sound like a ridgie - they will take more exercise if you want to give it but the prey drive can depend. Mine will chase if something is running... and if Bakari smells something it can be hard to get his focus back.

Some breeds that might suit (going on the fact that you said you wanted a larger dog and looking at the shorter coated breeds):

higher energy breeds (would need lots of training sessions + excercise)

GSP

Vizsla

Dobermann

Pharaoh Hound

lower energy breeds (need less excercise and happy with general obedience type training)

Greyhound

Great Dane

Happy medium? :mad (needs a reasonable amount of training and excercise)

Dalmation

Amstaff

Labrador

Whippet

Ridgeback

Bloodhound

English Pointer

Rottweiler

A bit smaller but perhaps suitable:

Beagle

SBT

*Keeping in mind though that depending on the lines you could just as easily end up with a laid back Dobe, as a through the roof energy, needs constant stimulation dally or even dane :D

That does sound like a ridgie - they will take more exercise if you want to give it but the prey drive can depend. Mine will chase if something is running... and if Bakari smells something it can be hard to get his focus back.

It does a bit - re the happy to please bit. Ridgies are happy to please ....only one person though - THEMSELVES :mad

My replies in purple :D

excercise----> 30 minutes, but HEAPS more time for training from home

grooming----> as little as possible, so brushing, but no clipping

coat preference (long/medium/short/very short)-----> Short to very short

training and what you want to do with the dog - do you want to compete in agility or obedience at all? Or tracking or herding? Or are you not interested in dog sport and just want a well behaved companion?---->Just a well behaved lovely companion :)

How big your yard is and will the dog be inside?----> Good size yard, fully fenced, in/out type of dog & I'm home all the time except to go close clothes* shopping when needed

How old will your kids be when you get it?----> The youngest would be approx. 6+ & in school oldest would be 20+

What kind of temperament you want in a dog - do you want a snuggly velcro dog, a happy to please dog or a more independant type breed (a lot of that is personality too but breed does play a part I think). ----> Happy to please & a bit independant

Anything else that you are particular about? ----> To be a tiny tiny little wary of stranger 'to tell them off' without being aggressive, not a high prey drive type either.

I still think labs might suitable for you.

If they 30 mins off leash play with another dog, they should be OK so long as you're doing LOTS of home play and training.

Labs can be easily trained to give a warning bark, a big black lab barking at you is a reasonably off putting sight imo.

They are reasonably independent, will only follow you from room to room if you LET THEM (which i do :mad)

Actually, they can be quite easily trained to stay on their bed/mat etc

Their coat requires no care apart from occaisonal brushing. The shedding is somewhat bad though.

They don't have a high prey drive, but most have a pretty decent retrieving instinct.

If you get one from guide dog or assistance dogs lines, and ask the breeder for a more laid back pup, I think it could work.

There are some really high energy labs that really wouldn't be suitable for your situation, but I guess in every breed there is always individual variation between dogs. A good breeder should be able to pick a suitable pup for you.

Another dog that may be suitable is a Brittany. They have a slightly longer coat but still easy to maintain.

And rescue greyhounds are gorgeous dogs as well!

Edited by aussielover

Kate if you're thinking that short coated dogs will shed less hair in the house, think again. Short coated dogs shed more hair than any others. :mad

I figure you can usually choose between brushing the hair while its on the dog or brushing it out of your clothes, carpets etc. :D

I think nearly every larger, high degree of trainability breed I can think of would need more than a half hour's onlead exercise a day.

I tend to disagree, it really depends on the dog and how you look at it. A 30 minute run coupled with 3+ short (but high intensity) training sessions throughout the day would be fine for some breeds - even the higher energy types. But yep, a 30 min plod around the block and a general obedience lesson or 2 wouldn't cut it.

Yesterday my Ridgie got 3 short basic training sessions and 2 short (as in around the block type) walks. He was crated for the rest of the day (and slept the whole time :mad This, for him, was fine. Would I be game to try that with a working line Malinois though - not a snowballs chance in hell :D

Some breeds that might suit (going on the fact that you said you wanted a larger dog and looking at the shorter coated breeds):

higher energy breeds (would need lots of training sessions + excercise)

GSP

Vizsla

Dobermann

Pharaoh Hound

lower energy breeds (need less excercise and happy with general obedience type training)

Greyhound

Great Dane

Happy medium? :mad (needs a reasonable amount of training and excercise)

Dalmation

Amstaff

Labrador

Whippet

Ridgeback

Bloodhound

English Pointer

Rottweiler

A bit smaller but perhaps suitable:

Beagle

SBT

*Keeping in mind though that depending on the lines you could just as easily end up with a laid back Dobe, as a through the roof energy, needs constant stimulation dally or even dane :)

Sorry but Labradors should be under the "Higher Energy" category - they certainly are not for an owner that it is not willing to put in a lot of effort into both training and exercise as they are definitely high energy dogs. An untrained and bored labrador is a recipe for disaster :D

Edited by labsrule

Sorry but Labradors should be under the "Higher Energy" category - they certainly are not for an owner that it is not willing to put in a lot of effort into both training and exercise.

All the breeds I put under "happy medium" are going to need a reasonable if not substancial amount of training and excercise and require a fair amount of effort. But yep, I agree with you - some Labs can have a LOT of energy. Same goes for every other breed - though they are perhaps a little more managable than say a Dobe or a Vizsla perhaps :mad

Agree with labsrule - Labs can be HIGH energy and HIGH drive and destructive while puppies.

And they shed A LOT.

Greyhounds and whippets have a very short coat that I don't think sheds much.

I haven't met many Ridgies so don't know much about them.

ETA: Secretkei - give me a Vizsla over a Lab any day! Labs are solid!

Edited by Kavik

I think nearly every larger, high degree of trainability breed I can think of would need more than a half hour's onlead exercise a day.

I tend to disagree, it really depends on the dog and how you look at it. A 30 minute run coupled with 3+ short (but high intensity) training sessions throughout the day would be fine for some breeds - even the higher energy types. But yep, a 30 min plod around the block and a general obedience lesson or 2 wouldn't cut it.

Yesterday my Ridgie got 3 short basic training sessions and 2 short (as in around the block type) walks. He was crated for the rest of the day (and slept the whole time :mad This, for him, was fine. Would I be game to try that with a working line Malinois though - not a snowballs chance in hell :D

Yesterday mine got no walking and no training other than being made to wait to eat their meals... but they got about an hour of cuddles each and that was fine for both of them!!! :)

Agree with labsrule - Labs can be HIGH energy and HIGH drive and destructive while puppies.

And they shed A LOT.

Yep :mad a Lab in full flight barrelling towards you at a very fast speed is not for the faint hearted :D

And they shed A LOT.

Yep :mad a Lab in full flight barrelling towards you at a very fast speed is not for the faint hearted :D

Okay, I can't disagree with you there :)

Guest Kate_Summer

Thanks everyone, gave me lots to think about. I do love long hair breeds but I don't want one :thumbsup:

Will let you all know, if any of you wants to know what we will be choosing when the time comes :laugh:

I guess a Dobermann would be a bit too intelligent for you? :laugh:

But they do need space to run. If they have that, it is better than walking on lead for most of their exercise.

You would have to look at the pedigree and the temp of the parents. Not all Dobes are "full on", specially with the right handling. You just have to know how to teach the calm thing. :thumbsup:

Guest Kate_Summer
I guess a Dobermann would be a bit too intelligent for you? :laugh:

But they do need space to run. If they have that, it is better than walking on lead for most of their exercise.

You would have to look at the pedigree and the temp of the parents. Not all Dobes are "full on", specially with the right handling. You just have to know how to teach the calm thing. :thumbsup:

What is that supposed to mean?

I guess a Dobermann would be a bit too intelligent for you? :rofl:

What is that supposed to mean?

I reckon they are smarter than the ones you mentioned. :laugh:

In fact, they are up with the Poodles in the smart range, but they don't have the grooming needs. Short hair and very easy to care for in that respect.