What Do You Think ?

Cupcakes r yum

Our local country Agi show is coming up and my 12 year old daughter is dying to join in, she has been helping a friend with her dogs at shows but she has nothing for her to show, we do have a dog who was bought to show but at 6 months she developed a bad mouth (Lower jaw longer that the top), the breeder offered to take her back and swap for another puppy but we were hooked so she stayed. Anyhow..... she is dying to show in this one show and l am after peoples opinions if it would be acceptable for her to take the dog, l would hate for the judge to ask her to leave the ring etc. Our breed has few number at this show every year so l could pretty much guarantee she would be the only one in the class and l would not have her go in for challange she just wants to be part of it all. What do you think ?

Feel free to PM if you don't want to post. Ta

Edited by Cupcakes r yum

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I were the breeder I'd be pretty upset if you took a dog with a fault like that into the ring. Especially if they had offered to replace the pup when the issue first came up and you declined, accepting the keep the dog as a pet.

Perhaps there's a DOLer who might need a hand on the day.

l really dont think the breeder would mind , she asked a few month ago if we she had been desexed as she would like to use her at stud but we had since found out she also breeds x breeds as well as her registered dogs. Should note her mouth is not bad the bottom teeth just slide infront of the top instead of the other way around, you cant notice it untill you open her mouth.

Have a bit of bloody pride about what you take in the ring.

No need to be so rude, l am not a show person, l don't take anything in the ring. A local lady who has the same breed as us and helps me groom said to take her and let her have a bit of fun but if there is another dog entered in the class the right thing to do would be to scratch her. There is no Junior handlers at the show. So much for encouragement.

If you do know people in your breed, perhaps you could approach them to give your daughter a few lessons ? if they see she is doing okay, they may lend her a dog for junior handlers (normally held in the lunch hour of some all breed shows)

Also if she offers to help hold dogs for your breed friends at ringside, and be helpful, people will start to assist her too if they see she is really keen to learn.

The idea of showing is to bring out your very best to be judged against each other, when you bring out a specimen with a disqualifying fault, it is not good for the breed, the handler and the breeder (although yours sounds like reputation is not an issue from your xbreeding comment !!)

Try & start with the best, many of us began with a very ordinary dog - but to begin with one that has a VERY definite fault won't help your daughter learn - she'll spend more time sitting in the car in tears after being non-awarded.

fifi

Fifi, thanks for your reply and explanation. Your approach makes alot of sense and would be the right way to go about it.

:laugh: You're welcome.

I think what often gets lost in the bling of the showring, is the showring originated with breeders bringing out their best working, hunting, field, herding ect dogs to be judged, the best of these were of course sought after as breeding stock, and essentially that is what we are doing - looking for quality in our dogs. So functionality was really the begining of it.

And of course the companion/lap breeds also became popular, glamour & style in presentation & grooming & handling has increased since the early days.

The modern handling thing is an add on, a good handler can bring out the very best in a dog, highlight good points and not allow minor faults to be as obvious. If your daughter can learn about the different breeds and why they originated & their purpose, it will help her become a better handler as each breed has its own structure, movement, style of handling ect.

fifi

Edited by fifi

Wow maybe I have pmt but I agree that wasn't a very nice way to treat a newbie doler and a parent of a newbie shower ;)

I thought the idea was to encourage newbies to showing :rofl:

It isn't as easy for your 'normal' owner to just return a puppy if it develops a fault once a bond is established.

Cupcakes what show is your daughter intent on going to. We are only nooobs ourselves but if we are going to be there, I am happy for your daughter to come and join us for the day or even 10 minutes.

Of course the idea is to encourage people to show, I've lost count of the number of new people that I've helped out and I'm helping a young lady at the moment to train and show her baby puppy.

But, you don't encourage people to take dogs with obvious faults, that they've opted to keep as a pet into the ring. If her daughter wants to show , then there are plenty of people who would love the help and the company each weekend.

Naturally the correct answer for DOL would have been " sure go ahead and have a wonderful time " . The OP asked for opinions and they now have them.

Our breed has few number at this show every year so l could pretty much guarantee she would be the only one in the class and l would not have her go in for challange she just wants to be part of it all. What do you think ?

If she did end up tjhe only one in her class then you would have to go in for the challenge.

Then if she's the only one how would she react if the judge refuses the CC ?

Listening to comments by some judges there are many breeds that have exhibits with incorrect mouths.

You just need to be fully aware that going in the ring with an obvious fault handicaps you right from the

start.

cheers

Perhaps post the name of the country Ag show you're talking about and someone here might be willing to let her handle one of their dogs if they require a hand?

I agree that you shouldn't enter or exhibit your current dog with a faulty mouth.

I didn't know it was a test ;)

I don't know just thinking of the old saying 'You catch my flies with honey' :o

Not that I was calling you a fly Cupcake :)

Surely "I don't think it is good idea taking a pet quality dog with an obvious fault into the ring because even though she may be the only person in the class it is quite possible the judge may non award the dog and that will cause more tears than her not going in at all" is a little kinder to a newbie than "Have a bit of bloody pride about what you take in the ring".

Still gets your opinion across :)

Okay yes it must be pmt.

Herein lies the problem with dog shows and newbies I think :rofl:

Say a child wants to own and show ponies, so mum books them into lessons at the local riding school and they join the local pony club.

A child decides they want to show dogs and what ................. mum whos only experience with dogs is the pound puppies they rescue from RSPCA can't really book in for lessons at the local show dog school. It's not an easy world for the uneducated to break into :)

Now I am just warbling ;)

But, you don't encourage people to take dogs with obvious faults, that they've opted to keep as a pet into the ring. If her daughter wants to show , then there are plenty of people who would love the help and the company each weekend.

I agree with this. Also if your daughter happens to have the only dog of its breed on the day she will almost certainly be refused the challenge and this will be embarrassing and upsetting for all concerned. An undershot jaw is a glaring fault and very few, if any judges will put up a dog with a bad mouth.

A child decides they want to show dogs and what ................. mum whos only experience with dogs is the pound puppies they rescue from RSPCA can't really book in for lessons at the local show dog school. It's not an easy world for the uneducated to break into :rofl:

New exhibitors have it easy these days, when I started showing I had no help at all, there was no internet, no show training classes, no Dogzonline, I just bought a dog and took it into the ring. My first dog was very average and that's putting it mildly, he was refused challenges and once a class win. In the end someone took me aside and explained that the dog wasn't show quality and that he was never going to win anything and I'm glad they did even though I was very upset about it at the time. It didn't put me off showing however, I actually benefitted from the experience, found myself a better dog and kept going. Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind.