Nekhbet

• Replies 806
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The code of pratice for operation of breeding and rearing establishments

sec 59 of division 4 act 1994 is the act they should be under.

heres the link http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/DPI/nrenfa.nsf/L...earing%20V2.pdf

hmmm well council weren't doing that they supposedly had to do regular inspection with record keeping and the sheets were blank for 5 years.

though the fact that they actually wrote that in as something you have no choice on is beyond me.

eh sorry not following?

I dont want to seeem that Im condoning anything they are doing but you seeem to miss somethings. Firstly you cant expect them to shut them down based on what you have presented. If their records show that the dogs are only bred every 18 months then how does anyone know any different? How do you expect council to go on someone else's say so with out evidence?

the right people have the evidence for sure don't worry. can't say more than that. i am just repeating what im reading i am not the right people to answer you i am sorry. but as i said before see what my friend says and i will get back to you with hopefully more of a case.

You also seem to miss that if you have any more than 5 fertile bitches in Victoria you come under the same rules as they do even if you are canine council members.

yeah and that sux big time :rolleyes: ETA you know what no one has come near us for 25 years. like them i am sure. no one is interested in inspecting anything in that area. lol thats what im saying no one does their jobs down there like they are supposed to at all.

Edited by toy dog

It is obvious the regulations posters speak of will be applied to all breeders.

ANKC breeders didn't go into a business, or to be randomly inspected. They wanted to breed a few dogs to show and to improve the breed, not to have to keep records and be answerable to the ANKC and a government department.

Of course they will stop breeding.

Anyone who thinks they wont are fooling themselves.

And Perhaps it is a good thing. There is so much random cruelty today, if dogs are very difficult to buy, and cost thousands, the cruelty may stop.

Yes, it is all designed to deter people from breeding dogs.

Oscars Law included.

We have been branded as lunatics touting conspiracy theories, but we are not. We are thinking people who know that there will be not much other than mutts and generic brown dogs in the future, and probably riddled with inherited diseases that will all be blamed back on to those "terrible dog breeders".

Politicians will run with the issue that will sell well on the telly to a believing public. Add plenty of emotion to it and voila, it is a vote winner!

They are not interested in the future of good dogs.

Well, they might be when they find that they can no longer buy a cocker spaniel, a corgi, or some of the breeds with lesser numbers.

Then we dog breeders who still have a couple of specimens of a particular breed can go public, get a high profile person alongside, and raise funds for the endangered species ....... just like the animal libbers are doing right now for their cause.

Wonder how much money they collected at the rally ......

Souff

I believe Oscars Law was used by animal libbers to try and stop the breeding of ALL dogs.

The pet owning public fell for it.

With no thought to the fact that they were actually depriving themselves of the very dogs they thought they came to protect.

If there are NO breeders of dogs where will YOU get your next dog ?.

talking to the organiser of this rally for a long time, no that is not true at all! they target farms and it was about FARMS. registered breeders are not mentioned in all of this. :rolleyes:

read prisoner for profit website and you will see what im talking about. prisoners for profit

:idea::rofl:

That may have been the original intentions but we are all aware it did not end up that way.

ok so where is the evidence then, is there something in the background thats going on that most of us are not aware off???? just asking an question???

ETA: do you mean RSPCA turned it into something else, :rofl: probably stating the obvious, dn't mean to sound dumb.

wasnt the law about prosecuting those who debarked or tail docked supposed to to stop puppy farmers?

yet its Judy Guard facing 42 charges for exhibiting?

how many puppy farmers exhibit?

but hey she's facing what is it? in excess of 84 years in jail?

nnnnn if i recall correctly all this came about because she rehomed one of her dogs to a pet home. n the vet the new owner took it too for a check up spotted it was debarked - learned it had been shown----- n the wheels rolled into motion.

so! how is this animal loving, sooooo caring vet, reward the whistle blowing pooch?

did i not see a post that because said pooch didnt adore said vet on sight, get declared to be unsocalised and pay with its life being terminated??????

anyone know this doggies name?

maybe its name should be the one attached to the new law so desperately needed, the appeal process that still 20 years after powers to seize were enacted, forgot the one for an avenue for appeal?? call it after this little dog and maybe in concunction with the names of some of ruth downeys cows.

weird isnt it.

the right of reprieve is available for a murderer, but not for our animals that fall into the control of the rspca?

Edited by asal

i've given up writing emails to council down that way actually as you can't talk to ignorant people that just don't wanna listen, its very frustrating!

banksia park the jokes on you

and yes mortonplace the stress could very well kill me, talking to the councillors and getting their stupid lectures was like talking to brick walls. :)

:rofl: Sad isnt it :rofl: its a joke really :rofl:

Atleast you have tryed but yes i do belive stress is a killer.. :( Sorry

SOUFf...l dont think the word regulate was a badly choosen word for all sites INCLUDEing petklink...

Regulate as in makeing sure the pups on the site are DESEXED...microchipped and above board..Nothing wrong with trying is there?

And before you say that cant happen take this on board please

adds in local papers were regulated and had checks placed on them to make sure they were licenced to sell pups.

Yeap even in the wellington shire WOW amazeing hey

That is interesting re a newspaper laying down the conditions that pups put up for sale must be desexed first.

I know more than one vet who will NOT desex puppies at that age, and they have the backing of their profession on this matter so the newspaper would not get my ads.

If the newspaper owner is OK with losing business then that is OK for them, and newspapers are going out backwards on every level anyway.

They used to make a motza on the pages and pages of advertising. Not any more. The internet has them stymied.

Souff is a firm believer in pups being desexed - at the appropriate age for the individual puppy and no newspaper clerk will ever change my mind on that, but it is highly doubtful that I would be giving them any business anyway. Selling out of the back of the car at the beach actually holds more appeal than talking to newspaper people! ;)

Re the internet, that is a whole other story.

If Petlink were to close tonight, or start to enforce rules on people, there will be another similar site set up within 24 hours and people will just use that. Sorry to put such a dampener on things, but that is how it is with the net. Very very difficult to police - so you might as well make the net work for good, rather than for evil - I think Batman once said that.

The net is a very useful tool that can be used to educate people and get a good message out there. Why dont you use Petlink to do just that?

Other people and organisations have done so and the Canine Councils used to always have a message on the Trading Post site (havent looked lately) and this is a classic example of using the places where your enemy hangs out uses to get your message across.

It is taking the fight up to them, and the public get to READ your message on the enemy's territory.

Smart thinking - it is a tactic that gets results where people are fighting for a better world.

There is more than one way of skinning the cat, somebody else once said.

Souff

Sorry Toy Dog that could have been my back yard in the drought when I lived in Queensland.

Actually it could be any backyard that has to exist on tank water alone.

Many of us use electric fencing to make sure the dogs stay in. Even pet owners use it to make sure the dog stays confined to the yard where it is supposed to be.

sorry but ;) not that im saying anything against it i just had no idea.

Toy Dogs, I am very glad that you said this, and I understand that many people who own pets in the city, or own small breeds of dog, wouldn't have had any idea either.

The dog world is made up of many different people with many different ideas and attitudes because the dogs themselves are so hugely varied and what works for Chihuahuas in town or the city, is not going to work for a bunch of bigger dogs out there in the country areas.

I have a friend on a property who has electric fencing on almost every fence, down really low on the fence. I asked him why he put it that low down on the fence.

He looked at me as if I was a dumb town person and said,

i] "To keep the wombats from digging buddy great holes under the fences, holes that will let the dogs out by morning!"[/i]

Now if I was a concerned animal rights person I would have been horrified to see all that electric fencing and I might have accused him of all sorts of cruel practices.

But in fact he was SAFEGUARDING his dogs!

Apparently the wombats are not harmed by the kick from the tape, and simply go off and dig a hole somewhere else.

To achieve tolerance and understanding in this wonderful old world of ours, we have to learn to see the other persons point of view, BEFORE we put the boot in.

When I was a kid, we had wooden kennels for the dogs outside; we put a wheat bag in the kennel for their comfort and the ungrateful dogs would constantly drag it outside into the mud! The dogs were tied up to a big stake outside the kennel on a long length of dog chain so they could go outside to pee. Their food bowl was often an old saucepan and it was bashed and dented and some of the clowns would occasionally carry it round or put it on their head! Water was in a concrete trough, always plenty of water. We kids used to rake up the poo but never ever washed the area down - the rain did that. If it was drought, well... we just had to wait for the rain. No parvo. No disease. But there were fleas, and we had didnt have any nice flea products back then, so we used to sit in the dirt with the dogs on a nice sunny day and pick off the fleas and kill em on a rock. :rofl:

We sometimes sneaked a small tin of Arnotts biscuits out with us to share with the dog while we "did the fleas". Charming!

Were our dogs loved? You bet! Were they healthy? Absolutely! Greatest joy after school was to the let the dogs off and go for a run down to the creek! Or to go down to the neighbour's horse paddock and mess around for a few hours while the dogs went rabbiting. They never strayed away - one whistle and they would bolt back to us.

These were not Chihuahuas, or Pomeranians, or indoor dogs.

These were dogs that were designed to live a healthy life in very basic conditions.

Just like dogs in Africa have lived for centuries. And like dogs in many other countries.

Not an ounce of concrete within cooee of the dogs place.

No cosy dog beds.

No kongs, but plenty of fresh meaty bones.

Some of the dogs have natural double coats that are designed for sleeping outdoors in very cold climates.

I just cringe when I see pet owners putting fancy fabric coats on such dogs as the poor dog's thermostat must go into overdrive!

I am not for one minute making excuses for people keeping dogs in bad conditions, but I do think that people who want to get involved in animal welfare issues first need to spend a lot more time with breeders of a wide variety of dogs.

The dog world is very diverse and what works well for one breed simply does not apply, or is totally unwarranted, for another breed.

:rofl: For the record, my dogs today do not sleep in wooden kennels surrounded by dirt (or mud) and are not chained up to a steel post. And they don't eat out of saucepans.

They are totally different breeds and have totally different needs.

But the dogs of my past were loved, were healthy, and were very happy dogs.

I have absolutely no problem when I look at the dogs in the dirt yards in those photos. They have more freedom than a farm dog on a chain.

However, I would caution anyone about removing a dog from that environment - to do so is an act of cruelty in itself.

Psychological cruelty.

It cannot be turned into a household pet because the life it has is the life it knows and is conditioned to.

I absolutely shudder when I read that a number of dogs were taken from kennels on a property - it is akin to taking in a wild animal and expecting to train it like a new puppy.

It is mental cruelty perpetuated on an animal ... by people who claim they are helping the dogs. Too sad for words.

And, for the record, I have no problem with the appropriate use of electric fencing - if it used to keep animals safe.

Souff

Crap, Souff. What a great post (above)!

Cheers

Erny

But every word of it oh so true.

What Souff has said could have referred to any of our working dogs.

Where they cared for..you betcha ... without those dogs ........?????????????????.

Crap, Souff. What a great post (above)!

Cheers

Erny

But every word of it oh so true.

What Souff has said could have referred to any of our working dogs.

Where they cared for..you betcha ... without those dogs ........?????????????????.

:rofl: Crap, Erny says! ;)

In the eyes of some of the people who post on forums like DOL, yeah, :rofl: it would be viewed as crappy and in some ways it does not relate to the subject of puppy farms.

However, in some ways it does.

We all need to build bridges of understanding if we are to achieve a good result for dogs.

I personally believe that the people who want to see change need to learn a whole lot more about dogs, and about all the differences that make up the dog world.

In recent years some of the saddest, most neglected dogs I have seen were not in breeding establishments .... they were desexed "pets" that had been purchased and so had never whelped or sired a puppy in their lives. They were bored to tears and living in the wrong environment for their breed, with owners who could never give them the amount of stimulation and exercise that their genes demanded they have, every day of their lives.

There is no law against this type of animal ownership and we see it all the time in suburbs and towns. It is psychological cruelty to dogs, dished out by "good" owners.

Their handsome markings and friendly nature as pups means that these dogs sell quickly as pets. We have seen TV vets with them as their pets and so the whole world wanted one like that. The animal behaviourists know the dogs I am talking about.

There is such a lot to learn, and making more and more laws about dogs is not going to teach anyone very much at all. :rofl:

Souff

i've given up writing emails to council down that way actually as you can't talk to ignorant people that just don't wanna listen, its very frustrating!

banksia park the jokes on you

and yes mortonplace the stress could very well kill me, talking to the councillors and getting their stupid lectures was like talking to brick walls. :)

:rofl: Sad isnt it :rofl: its a joke really :rofl:

Atleast you have tryed but yes i do belive stress is a killer.. :( Sorry

SOUFf...l dont think the word regulate was a badly choosen word for all sites INCLUDEing petklink...

Regulate as in makeing sure the pups on the site are DESEXED...microchipped and above board..Nothing wrong with trying is there?

And before you say that cant happen take this on board please

adds in local papers were regulated and had checks placed on them to make sure they were licenced to sell pups.

Yeap even in the wellington shire WOW amazeing hey

That is interesting re a newspaper laying down the conditions that pups put up for sale must be desexed first.

I know more than one vet who will NOT desex puppies at that age, and they have the backing of their profession on this matter so the newspaper would not get my ads.

If the newspaper owner is OK with losing business then that is OK for them, and newspapers are going out backwards on every level anyway.

They used to make a motza on the pages and pages of advertising. Not any more. The internet has them stymied.

Souff is a firm believer in pups being desexed - at the appropriate age for the individual puppy and no newspaper clerk will ever change my mind on that, but it is highly doubtful that I would be giving them any business anyway. Selling out of the back of the car at the beach actually holds more appeal than talking to newspaper people! ;)

Re the internet, that is a whole other story.

If Petlink were to close tonight, or start to enforce rules on people, there will be another similar site set up within 24 hours and people will just use that. Sorry to put such a dampener on things, but that is how it is with the net. Very very difficult to police - so you might as well make the net work for good, rather than for evil - I think Batman once said that.

The net is a very useful tool that can be used to educate people and get a good message out there. Why dont you use Petlink to do just that?

Other people and organisations have done so and the Canine Councils used to always have a message on the Trading Post site (havent looked lately) and this is a classic example of using the places where your enemy hangs out uses to get your message across.

It is taking the fight up to them, and the public get to READ your message on the enemy's territory.

Smart thinking - it is a tactic that gets results where people are fighting for a better world.

There is more than one way of skinning the cat, somebody else once said.

Souff

Souff this council WIL NOT reg pups that are not micro chipped and if not reg with vicdog[x breed] MUST be also desexed.

lts spreading fast and i think the sooner the better.lm not a fan of PETLINK or other sites alike.

l place my adds on here and here only.P.S i do use the internet to send pics of my stock only

l dont even bother with the trading post anymore havent for years.

Each to there own,but l feel Ethical breeders are better off doing things the same way if possible .

This way the public can be guided to the better way of buying there puppys.

lf the breeder does something unethical a simple email to Troy and there add is removed till the problem is solved.

The old saying''You can lead a horse to water but you cant make him drink''

''But you can try to offer him a drink''Ring home true to me.

Things arent going to change without change :(

Souff this council WIL NOT reg pups that are not micro chipped and if not reg with vicdog[x breed] MUST be also desexed.

lts spreading fast and i think the sooner the better.lm not a fan of PETLINK or other sites alike.

l place my adds on here and here only.P.S i do use the internet to send pics of my stock only

l dont even bother with the trading post anymore havent for years.

Each to there own,but l feel Ethical breeders are better off doing things the same way if possible .

This way the public can be guided to the better way of buying there puppys.

lf the breeder does something unethical a simple email to Troy and there add is removed till the problem is solved.

The old saying''You can lead a horse to water but you cant make him drink''

''But you can try to offer him a drink''Ring home true to me.

Things arent going to change without change :confused:

Yes, and it is a body such as a COUNCIL that SHOULD be doing the REGULATING that is required by law.

The downside of all that regulation is that the Mums and Dads out there will stop microchipping/desexing/registering the halfbred pups in the backyard.

Where people advertise their dogs is up to them.

The most effective places that people should be advertising, if they are serious about getting homes for the pups, are in the places where buyers will be looking.

If they don't get homes for the pups (which through no fault of their own have been born and need homes) ..... what then?

The pups become half grown dogs without training and proper socialisation get dumped at the pound?

Or end up in the hands of rescuers who do their best to supply the training and socialisation that should have been supplied a few months previously?

You see Mortonplace, I am concerned about the END RESULT for all dogs that are born, not just those pups that are born at a registered breeders place.

The registered breeders I know rarely advertise to get homes for pups.

The advertising of their kennels over many years means that people order a pup well in advance and they dont have any leftover to find homes for.

Souff

Sorry Toy Dog that could have been my back yard in the drought when I lived in Queensland.

Actually it could be any backyard that has to exist on tank water alone.

Many of us use electric fencing to make sure the dogs stay in. Even pet owners use it to make sure the dog stays confined to the yard where it is supposed to be.

sorry but :eek: not that im saying anything against it i just had no idea.

Toy Dogs, I am very glad that you said this, and I understand that many people who own pets in the city, or own small breeds of dog, wouldn't have had any idea either.

The dog world is made up of many different people with many different ideas and attitudes because the dogs themselves are so hugely varied and what works for Chihuahuas in town or the city, is not going to work for a bunch of bigger dogs out there in the country areas.

I have a friend on a property who has electric fencing on almost every fence, down really low on the fence. I asked him why he put it that low down on the fence.

He looked at me as if I was a dumb town person and said,

i] "To keep the wombats from digging buddy great holes under the fences, holes that will let the dogs out by morning!"[/i]

Now if I was a concerned animal rights person I would have been horrified to see all that electric fencing and I might have accused him of all sorts of cruel practices.

But in fact he was SAFEGUARDING his dogs!

Apparently the wombats are not harmed by the kick from the tape, and simply go off and dig a hole somewhere else.

To achieve tolerance and understanding in this wonderful old world of ours, we have to learn to see the other persons point of view, BEFORE we put the boot in.

When I was a kid, we had wooden kennels for the dogs outside; we put a wheat bag in the kennel for their comfort and the ungrateful dogs would constantly drag it outside into the mud! The dogs were tied up to a big stake outside the kennel on a long length of dog chain so they could go outside to pee. Their food bowl was often an old saucepan and it was bashed and dented and some of the clowns would occasionally carry it round or put it on their head! Water was in a concrete trough, always plenty of water. We kids used to rake up the poo but never ever washed the area down - the rain did that. If it was drought, well... we just had to wait for the rain. No parvo. No disease. But there were fleas, and we had didnt have any nice flea products back then, so we used to sit in the dirt with the dogs on a nice sunny day and pick off the fleas and kill em on a rock. :confused:

We sometimes sneaked a small tin of Arnotts biscuits out with us to share with the dog while we "did the fleas". Charming!

Were our dogs loved? You bet! Were they healthy? Absolutely! Greatest joy after school was to the let the dogs off and go for a run down to the creek! Or to go down to the neighbour's horse paddock and mess around for a few hours while the dogs went rabbiting. They never strayed away - one whistle and they would bolt back to us.

These were not Chihuahuas, or Pomeranians, or indoor dogs.

These were dogs that were designed to live a healthy life in very basic conditions.

Just like dogs in Africa have lived for centuries. And like dogs in many other countries.

Not an ounce of concrete within cooee of the dogs place.

No cosy dog beds.

No kongs, but plenty of fresh meaty bones.

Some of the dogs have natural double coats that are designed for sleeping outdoors in very cold climates.

I just cringe when I see pet owners putting fancy fabric coats on such dogs as the poor dog's thermostat must go into overdrive!

I am not for one minute making excuses for people keeping dogs in bad conditions, but I do think that people who want to get involved in animal welfare issues first need to spend a lot more time with breeders of a wide variety of dogs.

The dog world is very diverse and what works well for one breed simply does not apply, or is totally unwarranted, for another breed.

:laugh: For the record, my dogs today do not sleep in wooden kennels surrounded by dirt (or mud) and are not chained up to a steel post. And they don't eat out of saucepans.

They are totally different breeds and have totally different needs.

But the dogs of my past were loved, were healthy, and were very happy dogs.

I have absolutely no problem when I look at the dogs in the dirt yards in those photos. They have more freedom than a farm dog on a chain.

However, I would caution anyone about removing a dog from that environment - to do so is an act of cruelty in itself.

Psychological cruelty.

It cannot be turned into a household pet because the life it has is the life it knows and is conditioned to.

I absolutely shudder when I read that a number of dogs were taken from kennels on a property - it is akin to taking in a wild animal and expecting to train it like a new puppy.

It is mental cruelty perpetuated on an animal ... by people who claim they are helping the dogs. Too sad for words.

And, for the record, I have no problem with the appropriate use of electric fencing - if it used to keep animals safe.

Souff

amen to that Souff, the voice of reason. :wave:

yes, for the last 20 years or so, i have lived in the city with my small toydogs, but before that i come from a farming family.

my first litter was born in a chookyard in the old kennel, :laugh: this was MY first litter but not by any means the first time we'd seen pups born (aunt had show winning pekes back then as well), a time when there were no DD's and mongrel cross breeds only cost $5 in those days my father said that a dogs place is outside. :laugh: my dad came from a farm so did his dad before him and it goes on for many generations. now look at him, he's gone soft in his old age, he has dogs in his bed now :eek: good ol' dad.......all the dogs are inside...... :laugh: different bloke. (well really what happened is my mum who is a born and bred "city slicker" and me converted him!)

my brother and i moved to the city to find work as in the country there was none and i know of many kids of my generation that had to do this, there is no one left hardly now.

back then i'd always wanted a "farm dog" but wasn't allowed to have one of my very own so i got a chihuahua instead that happened to be registered thank dog. didn't know anything about pedigrees.

today, i eventually got my "farm dog" a dog that was tied up to a pole in the middle of the yard with a maltese because they were going to be used for a "new breed".....anyone would think my ol' "farm doggy" was tied up because he jumped fences. nope. just neglected, not fed no water, maltese was in a small cage near him. a rescue dog, Jake is my dream dog that i always wanted as a kid. :wave:

so yeah, when you live in the city when you come from the country originally you tend to forget you tend to go "soft" you slowly become without realising a "city slicker".... :rofl:

Edited by toy dog

Look Im sorry but you are going to always have a hard time convincing me that there should be laws to tell me that I have to have my dogs vaccinated every year,that I have to feed them in bowls,how old they have to be before I breed them, how often I breed them and how old they should be when I cant breed them.

This stuff regarding when bitches should and should not be bred is pushed by animal rights and not one shred of science to back them up. Canine Councils have decided to go with this without regard for anything other than what looks good to people who dont know the difference between canine reproduction and human reproduction to a point where its used as some sign of registered breeder superiority. Its bad enough that we have to go with this because we are registered breeders and do what we are told but thats by choice and its become norty to even discuss the real issues relating to breeding dogs and fraught with fears of being labelled a puppy farmer but to make it illegal to be able to make educated decisions on how to manage when you breed your dogs is in my opinion disgraceful.

Maybe puppy farmers should consider class actions against the government for how their laws impact on the health, natural instincts and reproductive lives of their bitches.

Or to go down to the neighbour's horse paddock and mess around for a few hours while the dogs went rabbiting. They never strayed away - one whistle and they would bolt back to us.

im a city slicker suffering from memory loss! yes, we had dogs who would go and flush out the rabbits after sticking the rifle over the fence, nice tea at night, only visited a supermarket every fortnight just eat of the land. don't think you could do that now, i think wild rabbits suffer from (well they did later on) mixamotosis etc. the dogs would go down the burrow, then after they were finished come back home.

my first litter BTW in the chookyard was a chihuahua. no spoilt indoor dog there. one of my very first chihuahuas the breeder was just a backyarder, but her chihuahuas would go down the burrow too. chis make good rabbit dogs i got told. the only prob with that was those dogs ended up disappearing down a hole one day and never came back up. :confused:

mum brought a farming breed cross (kelpie cross border cross) from the city to live in the country when she first married dad, went on the honey moon and my grandfather was supposed to look after her dog.....as per normal tied her around the fig tree with a bowl of water, parents came back to find a dead dog, the dog hadn't been moved in the shade and died of heat stroke! i hate that story was before i was born. in those days no one gave a thought to animal cruelty well my granddad being a farmer did some cruel things i heard in later years.

Edited by toy dog

Or to go down to the neighbour's horse paddock and mess around for a few hours while the dogs went rabbiting. They never strayed away - one whistle and they would bolt back to us.

im a city slicker suffering from memory loss! yes, we had dogs who would go and flush out the rabbits after sticking the rifle over the fence, nice tea at night, only visited a supermarket every fortnight just eat of the land. don't think you could do that now, i think wild rabbits suffer from (well they did later on) mixamotosis etc.

the dogs would go down the burrow, then after they were finished come back home.

The rabbits around here dont have mixo or calisi - wish they did. On dusk you see thousands of them pop their heads up in the front paddock.