Being Prepared - Where Can I Find Goats Milk?

Tapua

Hi

I have a litter due this weekend - not that I am expecting anything to go wrong but I was considering getting in some goats milk and natural yoghurt - can goats milk be bought in powdered for and from where? I live in Central West NSW near Cowra - any suggestions? I saw a grat article on DOL on feeding orphans. Again I dont expect anything to go wrong but you never know. My other Lab had a litter of 12 last time - so supplimenting was important - I found Biolac and Divetolac poor substitutes. Mia has 8 or 9 pups according to xrays. I havent check Woolies out yet - can I get stuff there?

Edited by Tapua

My local Woolies has both fresh and tetra pack (long life) goats milk. :) Look where the soy milks are.

Thanks Poodlefan :)

Has anyone used Palastart goat/kid milk replacer? Its a powdered formula used for kid goats & lambs. I wonder if it would be OK and I just want to check is anyone has used it on puppies as a milk replacer rather than cows milk or fresh goats milk. It comes in a 10kg bag and costs about $50.00.

Edited by Tapua

Fresh is always best and it does freeze and store well. Unfortunatley for me the lady I use to get goats milk from lost her life in the Vic Bushfires so I have had to go to UHT Goat Milk for my last litter due to the only other supplier of fresh goats milk that I can find is a 2.5hr drive each way.

Hopefully you can find somebody close by with a couple of nanny goats, if not the fresh pasterised is available in some Woolworths and Coles it is made by Pauls, or get the UHT milk, the one we get here is Nanny Goat Lane, it is in a blue package, either way the pups love it as well as mum. I feed Mum a cup at least each day while she is feeding her babies.

I still give all the dogs here a milk meal with a couple of eggs in it once a week or so, they all love the goats milk.

Good luck in sourcing it and good luck with your litter. :)

I haven't been able to get it.

If I have to supplement, I've found that Animalac is much better than Divetalac and Biolac

I have tried all of the above and my guy do not do well on it. hense the hunt for the goats milk.

It will pay to check what is in the lmb/kid replacer.Some of these are not based on milk but tallow and such products, actual milk solids are minimal where as biolac is based on powdered milk.

Yes I have check out the contents and it is milk based 24% protien 25% fat and all the vitamin/mineral stuff needed. I have cheked out Woolies and Coles and they so have the liquid in supply. I tried the made up powder on all my dogs today and they seem to like it - so we shall see how things go.

If I have to supplement, I've found that Animalac is much better than Divetalac and Biolac

I have tried all of the above and my guy do not do well on it. hense the hunt for the goats milk.

I'm hunting for you too. I haven't been able to come up with anything local. Although Google did tell me there was a Cowra Farmers market, I'm not sure if they actually run one :eek: but it might be worth looking into. Bathurst has a market too, so there may be an opportunity to find someone there.

ETA: If i can find any , I'll grab it and freeze it for you and we can meet or I'll leave it at the vets

Cowra Farmers Market, 3rd Saturday 6342 9225 Cowra Showground Cowra Don;t know how old the info is or if they still exist

Edited by ReadySetGo

I'm hunting for you too. I haven't been able to come up with anything local. Although Google did tell me there was a Cowra Farmers market, I'm not sure if they actually run one :eek: but it might be worth looking into. Bathurst has a market too, so there may be an opportunity to find someone there.

ETA: If i can find any , I'll grab it and freeze it for you and we can meet or I'll leave it at the vets

Cowra Farmers Market, 3rd Saturday 6342 9225 Cowra Showground Cowra Don;t know how old the info is or if they still exist

Wow thanks for the effort - Keep me posted - I am on puppy watch at the moment - mother lab is getting comfortable but we are a couple of days away as yet. I have started Mia - the mum on the milk and she seems to like it.

Here is the expectant mother is her most comfortable position.

post-27124-1284030603_thumb.jpg

post-27124-1284030616_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tapua

Tapua, where abouts are you?

Check your local phone book and you may find a dairy goat farm in your area, there are 2 within 30 minutes drive of where I live. Milk is very cheap and I buy frozen.

I am in Woodstock 24km from Cowra - i work in Canowindra - so thats an option to look too. Of course i should have looked in the phone book too - er der should have thought of that myself. :eek:

Awwww....congratulations Tapua :laugh:

As another milk substitute, I was going to suggest Wombaroo as I know many breeders have tried that with success :eek: I guess you don't need to worry about it now! :o

So tell me about Wambaroo -Ive never heard of it!

:eek: