Obsessive Licking

honeychild

My chihuahua has developed an obsessive habit of nervous licking. She does it intently and you really have to snap her out of it. I'm talking the couch, the bed, cushions, pillows, blankets etc- she licks people too but mainly things made of material, but with no alternative she will turn to the floor (wood) or her feet. I am fairly sure that it is anxiety driven, though I have no idea why. I present her with chews, toys, bones, treats, all kinds of things to distract her in exchange with for her licking. We play games, she has plenty of walks and exercise and stimulation, and she has 3 companions. I really don't know what to do for her and it is starting to stress me out! I really feel like she needs some sort of anxiety treatment or something, I really need to do something to help her. Please can someone point me in the right direction.

How old is this girl?

How long has it been happening?

Can you think of anything which changed prior to the obsessive licking?

Is she otherwise settled in her behaviour?

What do you do when you notice her licking?

What does your vet suggest?

Edited by persephone

How old is this girl?

How long has it been happening?

Can you think of anything which changed prior to the obsessive licking?

Is she otherwise settled in her behaviour?

What do you do when you notice her licking?

What does your vet suggest?

She is 4 years old

This has developed over the past, say, 6 months

She is otherwise very content and happy, relies on routine, a bit nervy and some what on edge but trusts us implicitly for security and comfort

I havn't yet mentioned it to the vet, I probably should have, but I havn't

As for any prior change... We have had another girl come and go in past year. She has gone to stay with her co owner for the moment but will most likely be back here in the future.

Edited by honeychild

and maybe taking note whether the licking is worse or not depending whether the other girl is staying or has just left? that may be a trigger.

I know that my coolie licks his paws when he is stressed :kissbetter: but mostly I can tell what has triggered it. and to a degree he sounds like the same personality as your dog (He was a rescue dog) except I don't think he is generally nervy, but he loves routine.

Funny thing to do when you think about it isn't it, they must derive some sort of comfort from it.

Hope you find a solution for her :hug:

and maybe taking note whether the licking is worse or not depending whether the other girl is staying or has just left? that may be a trigger.

I know that my coolie licks his paws when he is stressed :kissbetter: but mostly I can tell what has triggered it. and to a degree he sounds like the same personality as your dog (He was a rescue dog) except I don't think he is generally nervy, but he loves routine.

Funny thing to do when you think about it isn't it, they must derive some sort of comfort from it.

Hope you find a solution for her :hug:

Thanks :hug: I hadn't really linked it to whether my other girl was here or not, but now that I think of it I will have to pay close attention when she is back to whether the licking behaviour changes.

It really is a funny thing! And she definitely derives comfort from it- I guess it might be like biting your nails? lol

Edited by honeychild

i've heard that obsessive licking can be self-medicating, that yes, they do derive comfort from it...

both my dogs lick their feet; tops and bottoms but only their forepaws and not each others --- i've managed to block that behaviour by giving them a command and rewarding that behaviour but only after they've acknowledged and answered my command. it hasn't stopped the behaviour but i have noticed that it has lessened and they both quickly respond to my efforts to directly correct their licking...

i don't know why it started but i first noticed it with byron, our rescue, and then bella started doing it too --- it's now too far in the future for me to establish why but i think it started somewhere around the last change in daylight savings...

i hope that makes sense and perhaps helps a bit :kissbetter:

My boy licks his paws, the vet said that is common in older working dogs, because of the stresses of 'propping' on their forepaws while working. Although yours doesn't sound too old??? But yes it can definitely be an injury thing :laugh: