What Would You Think?

Fordogs

I have a female that I was absolutely sure was in whelp and due in 8 days. She has put on weight and filled out some but not as much as she did for her previous litter of 8 puppies. For the past 4 days she has been off her food and that is exactly what she did when she had her first litter but after an x-ray yesterday (but not a very good one) that said NO PUPPIES I am a little confused.

I think that I will continue to treat her as if due to whelp in 7 or 8 days, take temp each am & pm, install her in my whelping room and hopefully wait and see what happens.

AM I IN DENIAL? possibly yes. BUT hopeful. :vomit:

LizT, I am hopeful, so I will do exactly as I would have if I had not done the x-ray. I do have another bitch that has had phantoms BUT this girl is different, she is always very lean and never ever passed up a feed except during the last week before she had her first litter.

Fingers Crossed for a good result.

Sounds like my girl....

was sure she was up to around 7-8 weeks preggy....

didnt get a big belly, but got milk!

all the signs.. then..... just..nothing

her belly never got round.... you could get milk but there was nothing there.

she better not do it next time!

oh, she didnt have a false labor or anything either..

Sounds like my girl....

was sure she was up to around 7-8 weeks preggy....

didnt get a big belly, but got milk!

all the signs.. then..... just..nothing

her belly never got round.... you could get milk but there was nothing there.

she better not do it next time!

oh, she didnt have a false labor or anything either..

Same here,

We got enlarged tummy, milk, nesting, even went into the huffing and puffing of labor....she was empty.

10 points for performance, had me and experienced breeders fooled.

I hope in your case it's a mis-calulation on the xray and you have some beauitful babies. Weirder things do happen.

Yes I have seen and felt the puppies moving with other bitches but not always.

At the moment she is madly nesting and still barely eating anything, a couple of chicken necks yesterday but not interested today but she did have 1/2 cup of dry food and a couple of beef chunks with Biolac added this am.

Has anyone had a bitch have a phantom pregnancy and have a cervical plug come away ?

I am sure she must have at least 1 puppy. She is doing lots of nesting and has milk. These last 2 things I know they all do but it is the cervical plug that makes me MORE hopeful.

Has anyone had a bitch have a phantom pregnancy and have a cervical plug come away ?

I am sure she must have at least 1 puppy. She is doing lots of nesting and has milk. These last 2 things I know they all do but it is the cervical plug that makes me MORE hopeful.

Arh nope, sounds like she is going to have babies! :eek::laugh::confused: ;)

Wishing you best of luck. :):)

Arh nope, sounds like she is going to have babies! :thumbsup: ;) :):(

Wishing you best of luck. :):)

Interesting, definitely stay close and we'll stay tuned on this one! A cervical plug is taking phantom to the extreme!

I have to agree with you on that LizT :thumbsup:

She spent the night sleeping with me on my single bed in the whelping room and considering that she is a German Shepherd there was not much room for me.

Her temperature is still normal, she is still not eating, frantic nesting :) and very sooky and constantly cleaning the VJ.

I might ring the vet this morning !!

Thank you TrinaJ,

Today, still not eating except for CAT FOOD, you know those little ones VIP, even refuses human grade steak and chicken.

BUT the major development is a softening of her vulva -- So now I know for sure there has to be at least 1 in there but I think she is still a day or so away NOT that I am going to leave her alone for very long. Her temp is still a very normal 37.9.

Edited to wish you TrinaJ a good whelping for your litter due 29th.

Edited by Fordogs

Just remember that in some cases, a singleton or very small litter doesn't trigger the hormones that enable whelping to start so if she goes too many days over what you think her absolute LAST due date is, then I'd be getting her checked. She may need some assistance.

Yes Ellz, I have thought about that, I was planning to give her another 24 hours as now I am thinking that I may have done the mating a day or 2 early and that is why we saw no little skeletons on the x-ray. As yet she only has nipple development on the very back 2 nipples.