What Is She!? And Whats Wrong With Her Skin?

Megs

This dog was surrendered to me on Monday. Her owner just died and her carer contacted me. No family members or friends. Carer has signed her over to me and i have checked all the details with carers company.

Barely any information is known, carer was told by owner that the dog is a 6 month old dachshund. Carer only knew that the dog was purely outside, hadn't been vaccinated, m/chipped or desexed. This dog is obviously not just a dachshund unless she has a skin condition that has resulted in hair loss, shes bald apart from a mohawk and tuffs on her feet. To me she looks like a mexican hairless x dachshund but i didn't think more than a few mexican hairless were even in Australia?! So what are the alternatives? Vets estimates shes only 6-10 months old and has no idea what her skin problem is. I've added photos encase anyone has seen something similar in a hairless breed.

Apart from the skin condition and lack of vet work and no training she is an amazing creature, shes got so much character and is a total clown.

Here are some pics of the ugly mutt ;)

Zena018.jpg

Zena020.jpg

Zena031.jpg

Zena024.jpg

Zena025.jpg

Hope this works - some photos of a Long Haired Dachshund with untreated Demodex

post-30530-1284632598_thumb.jpg

post-30530-1284632616.jpg

post-30530-1284632650_thumb.jpg

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Shih Tzu must have just rushed past the gate a couple of generations ago ;) .

Enough times that apparently cresty rescue turned him down.

... look what arrived into my rescue today. Sid is a Cresty cross Shih tzu

Were they aiming for a Mexican Shi$%less ?

;) Possibly. Maybe it is something Deshonko can look into. I believe he comes from a large pet store chain (not purgatory) so probably came from a puppy farm to stock.

I'm avidly reading this thread on how to treat the Cresty skin cause look what arrived into my rescue today. Sid is a Cresty cross Shih tzu

Looks pure bred to me Ams. Can't see the shit zoo in it at all.0

Care for Cresty skin is just like a baby. Mine used to come into the shower with me. Much easier than hairy dogs. ;)

I'm avidly reading this thread on how to treat the Cresty skin cause look what arrived into my rescue today. Sid is a Cresty cross Shih tzu

awww Sid is a sweetie too, and looks all crestie to me too :eek:

Xena's skin just looks too healthy over all for her to be 100% dachshund, I'm still saying Crestie X ;)

Looks pure bred to me Ams. Can't see the shit zoo in it at all.0

Care for Cresty skin is just like a baby. Mine used to come into the shower with me. Much easier than hairy dogs. :(

Umm Blab it's been a LOT of years since I was a nanny and I've never HAD a child of my own. So...

when would you like me to drop him off at your place?

;) :eek::o :D

My first thought, too, was "But I don't see any Shih Tzu". Then I looked again, not quite sure if it is perspective or if you have a minuature human in the background, but he might be a sort of large economy size Crestie? LOL

How big is he? What weight? Then could the Crestie experts please tell us if he is in the normal range.

Ams if Xena is a crestie x then Sid must be purebred, maybe not registered breeder purebred but backyard/puppy farm purebred i would think.

Thanks for those pics Lisa but i can thankfully say they look nothing like Xena's skin, shes smooth except for the bumps, and doesn't have the elephant skin you would expect from a serious skin condition. I'm not wholly convinced yet that its just pimples (although i have no experience with cresty skin) but while shes happy and being a typical crazy puppy who is into everything and doing zoomies frequently i'm willing to try some of the things suggested here before she has a bioposy done. A skin scraping has ruled out demodex anyway :D She also has the typical cresty hair placement - mohawk, tuffs on her feet and light growth along her tail, if she didn't have any hair then i would be worried.

OH YAAAAAAAAAY

I think I also have some Malaseb floating around my place you can have the rest of the bottle

hmmm now when to visit! PM me if saturday late arvo is OK I can come bearing gifts, I think I have a dog coat around here too but it needs a VERY good wash

Will PM you Nekhbet, can't resist Malaseb, paw paw cream and maybe a jacket too, being spolit here :thumbsup:

Ahhh the dreaded pimples and scars.

Skin looks pretty normal to me, get pup out in the sun to darken up those white spots.

I found Triocil to be good for the pimples and use an exfoliator glove once a week until they are gone.

Awww, cutie pie! He's crossed with something, but I wouldn't necessarily have picked Shih tzu. His legs and feet don't look 'quite right' for a crestie. Very kissable face though :(

I need to stop reading CC threads cos I really really want one :(

What's the bet that Nekhbet goes home with Xena tucked under her coat? :hug:

The Shih Tzu must have just rushed past the gate a couple of generations ago :cry: .

Enough times that apparently cresty rescue turned him down.

Wow

Megs, I'm doing a dog clothes order this week, they have longer dachshund clothes too, so I can order a couple of things for Xena if you like . I'm ordering some anyway, I like them for the cresties as they cover all the way down the back. Let me know your address and I can post a couple to you.

Yellowgirl that would be fantastic! Thank you so so so much :( . Will pm you my address.

Natural, preservative free foods will also be a big help.

What food would you recommend yellowgirl? My girls get nutrience and i've started her on the sensitive skin nutrience, good or bad?

Got your PM Megs :(. The clothes can take two or three weeks to get here, so I'll raid the dogs' closet and post some things off to you straight away. Banshee has a 40cm fleece coat that fits along her back but is too wide for her... should be perfect for Xena! I'll see what else I can find.

Nutrience is a good brand. I also like Eagle Pack and Nutro (not a big fan of Advance or Science Diet). Maybe include some fish oil or sardines as well to get some extra omegas in there.

Here's a pic of Madeline's skin with the staph infection (compared to Xena's pic on the right). She also had come bigger bumps like Xena. Two vets didn't think she had staph, but when I finally got her on antibiotics it really cleared it up. She still has some mild skin issues but nowhere near as bad as it was when she had the infection.

Skin004-1.jpgZena025.jpg

Malaseb didn't work for Madeline, and I wonder if it might be a bit too strong for Xena to start with. If it was me, I'd get her on ABs and continue with a gentle cleaning regime for a few weeks. That's just me, you've had so much advice I wouldn't be surprised if you had NO idea which way to go! :o sorry to add to the confusion :D

Hhhhhmmmm.

I STILL don't think the OP dog is a hairless x. I think it is pure daxxy with a skin condition that shouldn't be ignored. Not that it is being ignored. But I think more tests (skin and blood) are required.

Just MO, of course :hug:.

Awww, cutie pie! He's crossed with something, but I wouldn't necessarily have picked Shih tzu. His legs and feet don't look 'quite right' for a crestie. Very kissable face though :cry:

I've gone back for another look and I see what you mean YG - the feet are pretty chunky actually for a crestie....can't believe the crestie rescue said no to him though :hug:

Hhhhhmmmm.

I STILL don't think the OP dog is a hairless x. I think it is pure daxxy with a skin condition that shouldn't be ignored. Not that it is being ignored. But I think more tests (skin and blood) are required.

Just MO, of course :cry:.

I think this calls for a Xena fundraiser! :hug:

I have $10 that says she's a crestie x dachi and she has a staph infection. Are you in with your theory Erny? Anyone else want in?

Just add your theory, whoever is spot on wins, all other money goes to Xena's vet bills :o

Hope that's okay Megs :(

Hhhhhmmmm.

Just MO, of course :(.

I think this calls for a Xena fundraiser! :hug:

I have $10 that says she's a crestie x dachi and she has a staph infection. Are you in with your theory Erny? Anyone else want in?

Just add your theory, whoever is spot on wins, all other money goes to Xena's vet bills :(

Hope that's okay Megs :(

:cry:

Awesome idea!

Pity I have NFI, so I can't bet. :o

Aweee.......................... :hug:

Do you think he would be OK with a cat in the house too?

I hope so cause I have 12 cats living here atm. :cry:

What's the bet that Nekhbet goes home with Xena tucked under her coat?

I'm taking a very large overcoat with me because it's cold down here in geelong you know O.o tut tut what do you take me for :hug:

I'll give an opinion when I see her, I do reckon that skin looks CC, too smooth.

now gotta get that dog coat in the wash ... it's pink too :cry: with fwowers

Edited by Nekhbet