Peppi's Diary

Vickie

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes amypie, but to be fair, she displayed absolutely no fear along the way, notwith the bang nor the movement. Having no fear meant that we progressed a lot faster than normal. Her end position will need work, she will get faster & there's lots of proofing to be done, but it was a great start!

• 3 weeks later...

WEEK THIRTEEN:

Pep has been doing some bonding with Ben lately. Chloe has a better social life than anyone I know, so little Pep has had to seek a stand-in best friend for when Chloe is not here.

Ben seems to be meeting her needs perfectly :D

photo[1].jpgphoto[1].jpg

Training wise...

Pep loves diving in her crate :) and is very good about waiting for her release.

She is so much more settled here now & I am comfortable not crating her when we leave to go out. She is secure in a large run with other dogs but I always suspected she may be destructive if left for a long period of time. She's not :) and has earnt the priviledge of lots more space.

She has a really nice solid start line now. I can see that she is learning the names for some of the obstacles & is getting great at picking a line of obstacles without Chloe micro-managing her

Chloe is still working very small sequences with her. They are both learning.

Every now & then Chloe forgets that Pep does not have the training nor experience of the girls...lucky she has me to remind her ;) .

Chloe has also taught Pep to lie on a mat. It is pretty cute, I bought her a pink spotted mat & she loves it. She is only rewarded if all her feet are on the mat & she has worked it out very quickly. They are currently building duration.

Ive been a bit slack with her weaves (the one thing I am training her in). She has a good understanding of 3 poles, but I haven't finished working her entries yet :cry: No rush I guess.

Edited by Vickie

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks RS & TN ;)

Since I began agility I've only ever had room for 3-4 obstacles until now. It is fantastic to be able to set up little courses. I always thought I'd train all day every day if only I had the room :laugh: ...needless to say, I thought wrong :laugh: . I think we actually did more training when I went to a club once a week :rofl: .

Here is another little clip where I am trying to get Chloe to wait & let Peppi work things out a bit.

Edited by Vickie

My aim is to have a backyard similar to yours. I want the room for the dogs to be dogs and where we can train without fear of my dogs doing a faceplant into the fence as they get their toy while we do our weave training! I hardly have the room to set a jump up before or after the weaves, and there is no way I can fit a full sized set in there properly. One day *sigh* :laugh:

I have the same wish, RS! Once I graduate I'm going to move onto a property (hopefully 2 acres or so)... for now though, I have to put up with carrying equipment to the park (only a few houses down), doing stuff in my living room :( or being really selective about what I try to do in the backyard. It's long and narrow, so I could maybe fit 12 poles if I wanted... but that's it :o

Looking good Vickie :) The one with her shaping the box reminded me so much of Kyzer, doing tricks, dropping, looking around then glancing over "Oh yeah, the box!" :(

She's a lovely little dog. :o

PS I want your backyard too

• 4 weeks later...

We just got back from 2 weeks camping at the beach.

Pep loved it! Her first big camping trip. There are lots of dogs where we stay & she was very well behaved with them, she was also excellent with the multitude of small children who now love her!

Other than one big seagull chase :laugh: she was great on the beach & took to the water like a duck!

We learnt that she can jump OVER the Xpen very easily, but only if her best friend Shine is taken on a walk without her. She settled well & was very happy to hang around the campsite with the other dogs.

Of course...she slept with Chloe in the tent every night :laugh: , cuddled up, just like she is at home

5369772790_4eeebfcf4d.jpg

DSC_7639%20copy.jpg

Edited by Vickie

Back to training today :thumbsup:

I saw this exercise in the new Mecklenburg book

You start with the jumps in a straight line & then offset them. I expected Pep would need lots of very gradual repetitions to find the jumps, but she surprised us & so far is going one for one with Trim & Shine. She's such a clever pup!

• 3 weeks later...

Hmmmm

Chloe wanted me to enter her & Pep in the next trial we are going to. They are NOWHERE NEAR ready to trial.

I decided the only way to prove it was to set up a Novice type course to show Chloe just how far away they are yet.

I said to her "I'll tell you what, if you can get her around this, I will enter her for you"

Ooops. I guess that backfired, big time

What a clever little dog she is, she has NEVER done 13 obstacles in a row. I don't think she's ever even seen a rear cross.

I guess at least now Chloe will be training her every day in anticipation (and to teach her the 3-4 obstacles she's never seen yet :) )

Edited by Vickie