Whitening Shampoos

liamber

Don't know about that whippets, My cressies legs are 'paper white' and by using the white on white shampoo they are blinding, regular shampoo still just makes his legs look paper white.

Whippets is correct that the whitening shampoos don't remove stains any better than ordinary ones. What that purple does is neutralise any yellowing, giving an appearance of white.

I love using spray chalk on white legs but its only good for smooth coated dogs.

I've never used that spray chalk on the day of the show. Might give it a whirl. Is it messy? I looked at it a month back and envisaged having white crud all over the grooming table from the spray.

Don't know about that whippets, My cressies legs are 'paper white' and by using the white on white shampoo they are blinding, regular shampoo still just makes his legs look paper white.

Whippets is correct that the whitening shampoos don't remove stains any better than ordinary ones. What that purple does is neutralise any yellowing, giving an appearance of white.

I love using spray chalk on white legs but its only good for smooth coated dogs.

I've never used that spray chalk on the day of the show. Might give it a whirl. Is it messy? I looked at it a month back and envisaged having white crud all over the grooming table from the spray.

Put a towel on the table or you'll have little paw print stencils on the top. :) Kind of like Whippet rock art.

Be sparing with it - a little goes a fair way. Shake the can well too.

I had a Bulldog person do Howie's legs with it at a show after I asked about it. I'm definitely a convert. Once it's dry it stays put. I spray it on, brush any off the toenails and the 20 seconds later, just smooth the coat with a goat hair brush. Hides those little pink knuckles a treat. It's brilliant covering stains.

I'd recommend it for legs only. A friend tried it on her Whippet's chest and says it makes the coat a bit coarse.

I use the Ring 5 stuff. Haven't tried any other brand but I'd say the Chris Christensen would probably be good. Peperone have it at a VERY competitive price. That's where I"ll get my next can.

Oh, and be sure to be UPWIND of the spray :laugh:

Edited by poodlefan

The blue tint to the shampoo works to make the coat (or washing look whiter) simply due to the way our eyes work - a blue white looks brighter then a normal 'white'

Agree with the others, it won't remove stains any better then other normal shampoos, but it does give a lift to the white on a dogs coat. it also does a good job on black coats too!!

in the previous times to make clothing whites whiter they used a blueing agent.

a blue or purple makes whites look whiter so i would imagine that is what is used in whitening shampoos

I remember the days of using 'magic silver white' on the horses. Too much and you turned them purple! :laugh: The other thing we used was 'blue bag'. The shampoos today are so much easier to use and less danger of using too much and ending up with a weird coloured animal.

Yeah that's what I was trying to get at in my round about sort of way, white shampoos don't remove stains, but they do make the whites look even whiter.

My boy has a small amount of gold in his legs which can sometimes make his legs look dirty, but with the white shampoo it really highlights to color and makes both the white and the gold stand out more.

in the previous times to make clothing whites whiter they used a blueing agent.

a blue or purple makes whites look whiter so i would imagine that is what is used in whitening shampoos

Yep, it used to be used on white linen, I think it ws called "Bluo", now I'm showing my age! ;)

So the purple shampoos do work as I used them on my pintos and grey arabs for years.

I've heard alot about Sard for stains and I've even used it on grass stains on horses hocks and knees.

I'm a bit hesitant to use it on my Cav's as they are a skin sensitive breed already! :laugh: