Whitening Shampoos

liamber

Hi There

Just wondering what everybody else uses for a whitening shampoo. I have Cavaliers and I think I have tried just about everything on the market - I am a bit of a product junkie ;) At the moment I alternate between Animal House and Kojo Extreme white. I have 2 boys and one really pees alot on himself, so I am washing constantly. I started just rinsing him daily and then putting a bit of conditioner on his coat and just leaving it in. I don't want to wash everyday as this will dry his coat out. I also use Animal House Volhold followed by baby powder with pure corn starch daily. I just want to know if anybody else has the same problem :) or any other suggestions. Also any suggestions on how to get the urine that has stained his coat a lovely shade of yellow of his coat would also be very very helpful :thumbsup: Thanks in advance

My show wash is three steps.

Animal House Pure Alternative

Animal House Whitening Shampoo

Animal House Pure Silk Conditioner.

Blaze is pretty good with pee stains, so I find I don't have to do an awful lot of extra maintenance for him.

Sards wonder soap it works

With a lot of whitening shampoos you need to be careful as while they can help whiten if used in moderation they can also 'open up' the hair shaft making it more susceptable to staining. Some whitening shampoos used often can result in a yellowing of the coat. Once the stain is 'in' the hair shaft, you will be unlikely to get rid of it - at least not totally - until new hair grows.

Using something to 'seal' the hair shaft (after you have shampooed) and help reduce future staining is good. My all time favourite is Plush Puppy Seabreeze Oil.

I am a big fan of the Plush Puppy whitening and deep cleansing shampoo's too.

i have also always followed the warm wash then the cold rinse- ie warm water to open the pores and hair shafts during washing and sard on really bad stains then when u do a final rinse do it with as cold as water as the dog will stand and it seals it back up?? pls correct me if im wrong :rofl:

i have also always followed the warm wash then the cold rinse- ie warm water to open the pores and hair shafts during washing and sard on really bad stains then when u do a final rinse do it with as cold as water as the dog will stand and it seals it back up?? pls correct me if im wrong :rofl:

As a hairdresser, (but not as a groomer) I can tell you there is no closing of the actual hair shaft when rinsing in cold water. Its basically for the scalp or skin as the case maybe. Vigorous washing/massaging can promote oil secretion (so it is good for dry scalps/coats) Cool rinsing will cause (just like the face) any open pores on the scalp to close up.

Something to keep in mind also if the hair is curly or wavy the cuticle of the hair itself is not flat, hence staining would be more likely to occur.

To seal the hair for protecting, something with an oil in it or silicone is actually the only products I know that work. Avacado oil is good, and so is plain old olive oil.

Brushing from the base of the hair in long continuous strokes to the end, will also protect the hair in part (brushing stimulates oil secretion).

Cheers, Ronnie

Cheers to all who gave me some advice :cry::worship: I always condition after I have shampooed because I was told that will close the cuticle :cry: I have seabreeze oil so might give that a go as well. I don't like putting anything to oily on their coat as they look horrible and dirty. They get brushed everyday so hopefully that is enough to promote the natural oils in their coats.

Chi4me I was once told that pantene has alot of silicone in it, does it??

Chris Christensen White on White here. Fabulous stuff.

I also use soap first to massage into the stain. Using a protective spray like Show Sheen or Ice on Ice can also protect the hair by preventing the urine penetrating to some degree.

Get the urine off ASAP if he pees on himself. Baby wipes are useful in this regard. :D

Edited by poodlefan

When using the seabreeze oil you only need a tiny bit. I would only use about a teaspoon in a bucket of warm water to do a whole Pyrenean! One squirt should be more than enough in some water for a Cav. If the coat is oily afterwards, you have used too much.

Don't know about that whippets, My cressies legs are 'paper white' and by using the white on white shampoo they are blinding, regular shampoo still just makes his legs look paper white.

The wonder soap is good from what I've heard, mum has used it before but I thought it would be very drying? Probably not as important with a shorter coated breed but with longer coats (or tufts in my case) you want to savor every bit of hair you can :)

edited for typos

Edited by Shaar

Cheers to all who gave me some advice :):laugh: I always condition after I have shampooed because I was told that will close the cuticle :laugh: I have seabreeze oil so might give that a go as well. I don't like putting anything to oily on their coat as they look horrible and dirty. They get brushed everyday so hopefully that is enough to promote the natural oils in their coats.

Chi4me I was once told that pantene has alot of silicone in it, does it??

Hi Liamber :rofl:

Conditioner will help smooth down the cuticle - that is correct :cry: Basically if the hair cuticle is already damaged, like Espinay2 stated, the hair is then porous making it more susceptable to staining. Trimming the old length and promoting new hair growth is the only way to rid yourself of split ends.

In regards to Pantene - it does have alot of silicone in it :D Its a hairdressers worst nightmare when a client comes in for a colour or some type of chemical service (ie: perm, foils etc..) and is told she uses Pantene on her hair - we advise the client that we cannot guarantee the result of the hair colour that she is trying to achieve. We then have to go through several clarifying shampoos, trying to remove the build up of the pantene product first before even applying colour or lightening powder.

However, because of the amount of silicone/silica in it and with regular use, it does make your hair look fab and shiny - its a combination of product buildup actually weighing down the split ends at the end of your hair.

ETA: Im coming from a hairdressers perspective, not a groomer :D

Cheers, Ronnie

Edited by chi4me

I use sard wonder soap on my sibes whites :)

Tried the whitening shampoos, but nothing beats Sards :laugh:

I hydrobath the whole dog with Plush Puppy Deep Cleansing first, then Sard the whites, rinse, condition the topline with plush puppy, rinse, then pump PP Seabreeze Oil through the coat (1 Tbs to the hydrobath water) - dont rinse out.

Edited by boxagirl

Don't know about that whippets, My cressies legs are 'paper white' and by using the white on white shampoo they are blinding, regular shampoo still just makes his legs look paper white.

Whippets is correct that the whitening shampoos don't remove stains any better than ordinary ones. What that purple does is neutralise any yellowing, giving an appearance of white.

I love using spray chalk on white legs but its only good for smooth coated dogs.